How Many Dogs Do You Have?

Aleksandra 157

Currently have five.. Well, three and a half as one of my Pyrs is co owned with Espinay and I reckon Amethyst greyhound counts as a cat! I have these numbers as I'm a regular show exhibitor so I'm out most weekends with three of them, and doing training and conditioning with them on week nights. Four is my ideal.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have three at the moment and plan on adding a fourth next year which would be my max.

Ideally I would love only 2 but I do want to breed occasionally (which is where the fourth is coming from) and I find competing with one dog a bit boring so that's difficult :laugh:

As I also do dog sports I like to have a bit of an age gap, my main trialling dog is 4 and will be 5 when I get my pup which is a good gap. My other two are 10 and 12 so they are all but retired.

I just had two originally which is perfect. but then agility became more my thing and my dogs were less interested so I stepped it up with a working breed (kelpie). What a change!

Three seemed a big jump from two specially as the first two are small easy dogs. Two is more acceptable it seems as now I get kids yelling out as i walk all three and often people will comment I have my hands full even thou all the dogs are perfectly behaved on lead. Three seemed to turn me into a mad dog lady?

My biggest issue is that I cannot pick up all of them if we get attacked on our walk. Because this is such an issue to me I made sure my third dog was a bigger dog and supposedly better at looking after herself. Didn't run out this way as she is the biggest sook of all!

I wanted a third dog for agility as my original two were getting older. I would like to wait 5 or 6 years before I buy number 4. Not sure I'd get another kelpie as type /breed also plays a part in how life goes with a few extra dogs. I might try another breed as I seem to like a different breed each time.

Too many nice dogs... too little time.....

I just had two originally which is perfect. but then agility became more my thing and my dogs were less interested so I stepped it up with a working breed (kelpie). What a change!

Three seemed a big jump from two specially as the first two are small easy dogs. Two is more acceptable it seems as now I get kids yelling out as i walk all three and often people will comment I have my hands full even thou all the dogs are perfectly behaved on lead. Three seemed to turn me into a mad dog lady?

My biggest issue is that I cannot pick up all of them if we get attacked on our walk. Because this is such an issue to me I made sure my third dog was a bigger dog and supposedly better at looking after herself. Didn't run out this way as she is the biggest sook of all!

I wanted a third dog for agility as my original two were getting older. I would like to wait 5 or 6 years before I buy number 4. Not sure I'd get another kelpie as type /breed also plays a part in how life goes with a few extra dogs. I might try another breed as I seem to like a different breed each time.

Too many nice dogs... too little time.....

We have been a three dog house for a very long time because it has felt right. One dog is my sister's heart dog, one is my heart dog and our youngest belongs to all of us - human and dog! She chose all of us and her life seems complete when everyone is home together just hanging out. She even shares herself amongst all of us and has a slightly different (but equal) relationship with everyone. She only wants me to feed her meals but my sister has to give out the treats and fill the water bowls. One dog she sleeps with and the other she prefers to play with. It goes on and on. She is a quirky thing and we all love her!

5 seems to be the number here :) 2 of them were on purpose, the rest were all "accidents"

I decided that although it is a lot of work, I really like having a pack.

We were almost down to 4 because the 3 girls were not getting along at all in any way, so our rotti x went to live with my sister where she could be the queen of everything again (all the tension was arising from the fact that she used to be the boss but the youngest one knocked her off her throne, and the other girl's just a bitch :p)

So I was all geared up to have a 4 dog house, and actually looking forward to collapsing one of the crates down and being able to use one of the armchairs in the lounge room.

...then I heard from my sister that her friend had had to drop her bull arab off at the rspca a week before that. I called her, got mad at her for not calling her local crazy dog lady, then nervously spoke to nathan about it with a mouth full of platitudes like "it should only be temporary, possibly long-ish term temporary, but still temporary" He immediately responded with "it doesn't matter, when are you picking him up?"

So we had 4 at home for a whole weekend, and nathan said the house felt weirdly empty.

I don't think we have a choice in having 5 :)