Slicker Brush For Double Coated Moulting Dogs

cowanbree

I am looking for a slicker brush to help get through the double coat of a sheltie when they are dropping coat. Any other time I use a Mason and Pearson's but when they are moulting they are next to useless. I have had a wooden backed slicker for years which has been great but the dogs have chewed it beyond repair. Can anything recommend a slicker that is up to the task?

My Husky has started shedding his undercoat and I use one of these today

http://chrischristensenaustralia.com.au/shop/mark-vi-medium-curved-slicker-brush/

They are not cheap but it is nice using quality tools.

I also use a coated Greyhound comb, a Chris Christiansen pin brush and a Greyhound brush that is similar to a mason pearson brush to finish with

I can certainly see that the slicker wouldn't work too well on a Sammy :D

I actually used a forced hair dryer/blower to remove the bulk and then use the greyhound comb, pin brush, slicker and finally the greyhound brush. I do like the slicker as it seems to pick up a lot of the stray hairs though. I do also have to use the comb to de-hair the slicker and brushes continually throughout a grooming session :)

I haven't encountered a full on coat blow yet, so no doubt by methods will change due to the requirements.

It is interesting that many people recommend a rake for a husky, but when I spoke to the breeder who shows put me in contact with her friend who is a pro groomer and also shows huskies - she sells all the quality tools and said that I really only needed the good comb and Greyhound brush. I had earlier purchased the CC slicker and pin brush in my haste to buy nice stuff :laugh: I could probably get by without them, but I do like the set of tools I have :D

As a groomer - the best thing I can recommend for undercoat is a force dryer! When my GSD starts to blow coat I don't even bother raking it out: a warm bath, a soak in conditioner and a dryer do most of the work.

Which is what will be happening this weekend with the weather change! :)

I like the les Poochs brush. Best slicker ever. I use the pro brush F/F (purple handle) on the Pyrs though the cheaper firm bristle (blue handle) may be worth  trying if price is an issue. For really heavy going the Matt breaker is excellent.http://www.lespoochs.com/brushes.asp

If you are after a more traditional slicker, the Lawrence slicker is still a great brush. I prefer using the 'firm' to the 'tender care'

Edited by espinay2

I like the les Poochs brush. Best slicker ever. I use the pro brush F/F (purple handle) on the Pyrs though the cheaper firm bristle (blue handle) may be worth  trying if price is an issue. For really heavy going the Matt breaker is excellent.http://www.lespoochs.com/brushes.asp

If you are after a more traditional slicker, the Lawrence slicker is still a great brush. I prefer using the 'firm' to the 'tender care'

Oh dear, I feel enabled. Do you think the pro brush F/F is going to be significantly different, better or a worthwhile addition to the kit I have mentioned above? :)

Oh dear, I feel enabled. Do you think the pro brush F/F is going to be significantly different, better or a worthwhile addition to the kit I have mentioned above? :)

all I can say is the les Poochs brush and a comb are my two most used pieces of kit (and believe me when I say I have lots of different brushes....). Iit is by far the best slicker I have used ever.

Though I will say that for a double coated dog the blow dryer is your absolute best friend. I do more grooming with a dryer than anything else. They are not expensive these days and you can pick up a reasonably decent one for under $200. They are worth their weight in gold.

Another vote for the Les Poochs. I use the red one (mat breaker) on heavy spay coats and the purple on the show dogs. I have Giant fluffies... Leos and Pyrs... and a Leo owner who is a groomer put me on to them. Seriously they are the best piece of gear in my kit.

all I can say is the les Poochs brush and a comb are my two most used pieces of kit (and believe me when I say I have lots of different brushes....). Iit is by far the best slicker I have used ever.

Though I will say that for a double coated dog the blow dryer is your absolute best friend. I do more grooming with a dryer than anything else. They are not expensive these days and you can pick up a reasonably decent one for under $200. They are worth their weight in gold.

Thanks, I do have a forced blower and agree that they are a great bit of kit. Just need to decide if I need the Les Pooch as well as my CC slicker LOL