Vets That Debark In Sydney

mel121

hi Guys, Could you please PM with names of reputable vets in Sydney that debark. Yes this is a last resort for us so please, no harsh comments as I'm definitely not taking the decision lightly. Thanks..

Edited by mel121

All the best, mel.

I once met a couple of tibbies that'd been debarked (likewise for last ditch reason) & I didn't know it. I remarked to their owners that I liked their sexy voices. It lowers the pitch levels so dogs can still express themselves, but the sound doesn't travel.

All the best, mel.

I once met a couple of tibbies that'd been debarked (likewise for last ditch reason) & I didn't know it. I remarked to their owners that I liked their sexy voices. It lowers the pitch levels so dogs can still express themselves, but the sound doesn't travel.

Thanks mita. Although I'm not having any luck getting a recommendation :-(

Do you have a council order to debark? Vets are not allowed to do it without that now.

The Veterinary Practitioners Board of NSW sets out the requirements.

http://boardtalk.vpb.nsw.gov.au/page/Debarking_dogs%3F_-_Did_you_Know

Mel, the people I met many years ago with the debarked (pitch-lowered!) tibbies were Show people...& they told me the name of the experienced vet who'd do the operation (in strict accordance with Qld law). This name was known among Show people who passed it around when a case warranted it.

I guess you could also simply phone vet practices & enquire...

Thanks :-) no I don't have a council order as my lovely, long suffering neighbours on both sides have refrained from causing trouble for me whilst I tried behaviour training, bark collars etc. sadly nothing is working and I guess they now need to bring in the council so we can get this sorted. They have been so patient but we can all take only so much.. :(

Do you have a council order to debark? Vets are not allowed to do it without that now.

The Veterinary Practitioners Board of NSW sets out the requirements.

http://boardtalk.vpb.nsw.gov.au/page/Debarking_dogs%3F_-_Did_you_Know

Mel, the people I met many years ago with the debarked (pitch-lowered!) tibbies were Show people...& they told me the name of the experienced vet who'd do the operation (in strict accordance with Qld law). This name was known among Show people who passed it around when a case warranted it.

I guess you could also simply phone vet practices & enquire...

Thanks mita. I had rung a few of my local vets and was made to feel like a failure as an owner ! They don't seem to understand that my 10 year old dog has no issues and my foster dogs over the years were fine too and that I have persevered,....I know all dogs bark but this little one is a nightmare :eek: lucky she is super adorable !

I found a thread on here from about 5 years ago that refered to a vet in the Hills district and also one in West Wollongong that were doing it then. If you haven't already maybe ring around a few vets in those areas. Just for the purposes of info gathering I'd just pretend you are going through the process of getting a council order and if they don't do it themselves ask them to tell you who does. They might be more forthcoming with info then.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Thanks :-) no I don't have a council order as my lovely, long suffering neighbours on both sides have refrained from causing trouble for me whilst I tried behaviour training, bark collars etc. sadly nothing is working and I guess they now need to bring in the council so we can get this sorted. They have been so patient but we can all take only so much.. :(

There are plenty of good vets who can do it, any of the ones that breeders regularly use should be experienced in the procedure as it used to be very common. Now that it requires a council order, the vets won't even discuss it until you have the paperwork in order. You are not a failure as an owner. Some dogs just bark incessantly for no reason.

Hi Stitch, yes we have tried behaviourist (currently ongoing) plus medication and before that was citronella collar and electronic collars and obedience training etc. I spoke to our local council this week and the crap our neighbours will have to go to so I can get the order is ridiculous. They must keep diaries and fill out heaps of paperwork etc and there is still no guarantee as the council is dead against it.. It's hard cause as an owner I'm trying to do what's best for the dog and us. If I rehomed her someone else may not be so understanding !! Our vet would happily do it but has hands tied unless we get council order..

Do I need a council order in the ACT ? And if not, does anyone have any recommendations ? We are still continuing the meds and behaviourist even once surgery is done as we want our chi to have a happy, calm life with us...

Not knowing the story ... you have a Chi?

I figure that if neighbours are so upset by the noise, then they would be happy to do diaries etc to help you stop it!

I think it's a shame that council see it as such a horrible thing to do - but will happily advocate anti bark collars etc ...

Not knowing the story ... you have a Chi?

I figure that if neighbours are so upset by the noise, then they would be happy to do diaries etc to help you stop it!

I think it's a shame that council see it as such a horrible thing to do - but will happily advocate anti bark collars etc ...

The neighbours will do the diary if needed but the council also then wants to make times to see each of them to discuss. Then they have extra paperwork to complete. The rangers will then do random checks on my property as the dog needs to be barking at a certain decibel level for a certain period of time and even there there is no guarantee they will issue the order. When I spoke to the council I then advised that I might have to look at surrendering the dog, and they gave me the shelters operation hours !!! A real help..... The behaviourist I'm taking her too has got me to stop using the collars as they are not effective on her any longer... :eek:

The regulations apply to the entire state so Wagga would be the same. Lots of vets can do it but only with a council order and to get that you have to have neighbours keep diaries, etc.

I was just thinking this vet could know someone in the ACT as it isn't very far away.

The regulations apply to the entire state so Wagga would be the same. Lots of vets can do it but only with a council order and to get that you have to have neighbours keep diaries, etc.

I was just thinking this vet could know someone in the ACT as it isn't very far away.

:thumbsup:

• 5 weeks later...

Just an update.. we got the procedure done and it went so well ! We are all much happier now, including my chi who had it done as now we Are not constantly yelling at her :thumbsup: If anyone needs details of the vet, just PM me. I highly recommend him !

Edited by mel121
  • Like 1