Coconut Oil

I've used coconut oil on both my double coated breeds from time to time & yes I think it does help. If I were you though I would be getting rid of all that old puppy coat first. A really good groom, then go all over with a Mars Coat king ensuring that you lift the top coat up & go from under neath so as not to touch the top coat. Then a gentle wash & blow dry with a high velocity dryer. That should shift a lot of this old coat & make way for the new one :)

Feeding coconut oil or just dessicated coconut works well as does increasing eggs and fish in the diet. When not showing, bath the dog and use a teaspoon of coconut oil dissolved in 2 litres of warm water as a final rinse or try Plush Puppy Seabreeze oil. Keeping the coat hydrated is important from the outside. What you feed will affect the new growing coat but it won't do much for the coat that is already there. I wouldn't touch a show coat with a Mars Coat King except to get a bad tangle out. Tearing out the undercoat that is still attached is painful for the dog and won't do anything to help the dead topcoat. Some dogs just don't drop coat much and there isn't much you can do about it except hope that the next bout of hot weather causes them to drop the coat. Keep brushing regularly with a bristle/nylon brush (preferably a Mason Pearson) to work through the coat, remove any loose undercoat and distribute the natural coat oils. Also try leave on conditioner, any coat product with mink oil or an oil treatment for human hair. It is a matter or trial and error as some things suit one dog and others suit another dog, even within the same breed. Be careful that the shampoo you are using isn't too harsh for the coat. Some can be very drying. My favourite for most double coats is PP Body Building with wheatgerm but one with something like Evening Primrose oil might suit as well. The Pangenics range or shampoo and conditioners is also supposed to be very good on dry coats.

Edited by dancinbcs

Funny you should post this as my wife has just put some in my daughters hair as she felt it was a bit dry, my wife is a beautician and likes to do as much natural and organic as possible :D

I have done this with Ronin when he had a bit of puppy dandruff quite a while ago. It is pretty messy though and difficult to massage into a double coated dog. After a couple of hours I got a small towel and soaked it in calendula tea, wrung it out and wiped the guard hairs down. His coat looked great. I haven't had to do it since but he does get fed raw food, lots of fish and a teaspoon of coconut oil a couple of times per week with his food.

Edited by Yonjuro

Yes i wash my Setters in Coconut oil every so often but Not the before a show unless on the monday as it can take some time to get out.

Leave for 30 mins ,coat will loo like a candle stick & wash out luke warm water you can leave some in with no issues,

Makes the coat soft & shiny which may not be what you want though.

Has she been in season yet ??

Have you considered a possible endocrine disorder? I would highly recommend getting a thyroid profile through Dr Jean Dodds.

If the dog is two & never dropped puppy coat she could have a hormone imbalance.

Edited for sense - dumb ipad :)

Edited by trifecta

I have a shiny black short coated puppy and I can see every little bit of scurf on her. Would coconut oil help to improve her skin, and if so, do I feed it to her or put it on her?

I personally think you will get more lasting effects from tackling from within by feeding oils. As I mentioned I applied externally when Ronin had puppy dander but I believe now that it was more from the RC food that I had him on at the very beginning as recommended by our breeder (who is wonderful by the way :) )

I also did quite quite a few Calendula teas rinses and ended up doing the external coconut oil on one occasion. I changed food added AA super boost and never looked back. It's hard to say which of these things was the primary reason for all flakes going away or if it was a combination.

Either way a nice massage with coconut oil will help for sure at least in the short term.

I have a shiny black short coated puppy and I can see every little bit of scurf on her. Would coconut oil help to improve her skin, and if so, do I feed it to her or put it on her?

I imagine your Iggy's coat would be very similar to my Manchester (can see every little mosquito bump on her! So short and flat) for a while there her skin was dry and being black it was very visible so I would use this after each wash as a final rinse : Hi Shine Hot oil treatment on this page: http://www.highlandparkshowhorses.com/shop-hishine.html#ho it is for horses but worked well - I would use a lid full (about a tablespoon) but really a teaspoon - tablespoon of coconut or jojoba oil in about a litre of warm water would do just as well. Now I don't seem to need to do it as often, I figure that must be because of her diet.

I imagine your Iggy's coat would be very similar to my Manchester (can see every little mosquito bump on her! So short and flat) for a while there her skin was dry and being black it was very visible so I would use this after each wash as a final rinse : Hi Shine Hot oil treatment on this page: http://www.highlandparkshowhorses.com/shop-hishine.html#ho it is for horses but worked well - I would use a lid full (about a tablespoon) but really a teaspoon - tablespoon of coconut or jojoba oil in about a litre of warm water would do just as well. Now I don't seem to need to do it as often, I figure that must be because of her diet.

That HG Serum looks very interesting too. Have you used that one?

6 weeks of daily Coconut oil applied (and a decent diet). No dandruff or itching, he was much more comfortable.

There is still two callouses on his bottom but they are down to a 5c piece. I recommend it.

th_bert-8-record-aug52014.png

th_bertie.png

It may not be suited to your dog's coat but if anyone is casually reading this then here is what it can do. :)

6 weeks of daily Coconut oil applied (and a decent diet). No dandruff or itching, he was much more comfortable.

There is still two callouses on his bottom but they are down to a 5c piece. I recommend it.

th_bert-8-record-aug52014.png

th_bertie.png

It may not be suited to your dog's coat but if anyone is casually reading this then here is what it can do. :)

:thumbsup: great job!

Thank you :o The hair he had left was snapped and brittle and his skin was awful, now he has a shiny coat and great skin.

I must say though, the day we collected him i wanted to punch someone for what they had done to him. :mad

Do you mind me asking what they did to him? I apologise if this is something you have already discussed previously.

I have to say again that it is such a great turnaround for your sweet boy and demonstrates the great care you give :)

That's ok, I don't talk about it much. Rescue is just keep putting one foot in front of the other or it starts to get to you. :)

So Bertrand: neglect, all sorts of neglect to the needs of any living thing. Basically ignoring him until he had a long shopping list of problems inside and out.

No physical abuse from what we can tell. And all reversible thank goodness. He miraculously hadn't suffered any organ damage yet which was a huge relief.

He was weak, a barely walking skeleton but still had some fight left in him and helped every inch of the way by being an awesome little guy who got visibly better every day. So I won't take full credit. lol

He's the best. :cheer: Go Bertie Beetle!