Very Best Dry Puppy Food If Money Wasn't A Consideration

Rolls 912

Thanks for all the replys.

In the past I havent been so concerned with diet as I've had more robust breeds.

From what I've read, Frenchies appear to be a problematic breed with possibly more issues than many others. Hence my desire to find the very best food source to assist with mitigating any potential issues.

I'll talk to the breeder. However I still would think that it would be difficult for a professional breeder to serve premium food to their entire kennel. I've seen some foods that cost $200 for 5 kilos..... Surely this just wouldn't be viable? Maybe I'm wrong.

Cheers

I agree with others that recommend getting advice from the breeder and also the statements saying the best food is the one you dog does best on.

I think that a breeder with a number of dogs may have to make some compromises to find the best food fit for the entire pack. I am only guessing here though. One dog in the pack may have an allergy or sensitivity that requires a certain food and separate feeding may not be possible.

I recall talking to our breeder who has always recommended RC to start the puppies off with. Later she decided to try Taste of the Wild due to many recommendations and the higher meat content. Unfortunately one of the dogs got an upset tummy so she had to go back to the other for the whole pack. I moved my boy onto TOTW from the RC around 2-3 weeks after we got him and he did really well on it. Our breeder was very happy that Ronin did well on this food. He is now on fully prey model raw and our breeder is thrilled that we can offer this diet and at how good 'her baby' looks :)

With me only having only one dog means that I don't have to worry about problems a pack might have with guarding bones or changing foods for individual requirements.

A Frenchie group or Frenchie people here will be able to answer everything better than me, but if I had one small dog and wanted a top prepackaged dry/semi-dry food and money was no option I would probably go for ZiwiPeak Fish and Venison . Remember with these foods a 5kg bag of this semi/moist = around 15kg of many dried kibbles.

I use the ZIwiPeak as treats when I am grooming my boy or swapping a treat for a toy he has stolen from my daughter if I don't have fresh meat offerings on hand :D

I wouldn't gauge a food on price or even on the word "premium". Science Diet is very pricey despite the majority of ingredients being cheap and nasty ;)

Kirkland is really cheap despite the quality being nearly on par with its sister brand Taste of the Wild which is highly regarded. Great if you live near Costco.

I wouldn't gauge a food on price or even on the word "premium". Science Diet is very pricey despite the majority of ingredients being cheap and nasty ;)

Kirkland is really cheap despite the quality being nearly on par with its sister brand Taste of the Wild which is highly regarded. Great if you live near Costco.

Completely agree re price. Some brands have some pretty awesome marketing teams and spend a lot of effort justifying prices regardless of ingredients.

As i mentioned in my earlier post though, be cautious of imported dog food.

Have a read on irradiation and dog food in Australia.

Irradiated cat food has been banned in Australia but not dog food, (however i think it needs to be labelled, can't remember).

Not in anyway suggesting this is applicable to the brands mentioned here, just asking that people do their research.

At the end of the day, alot of what is being discussed here is what led me to raw.

I control the ingredients :)

I think you'll find no one imports irridiated dog food now because of the risk to cats. So it is not all imported foods - it was only ones with certain manufacturing processes.

Edit - cats not costs!

Edited by Danois

• 2 weeks later...

With a French Bulldog Royal Canin and Eukanuba have kibble specifically produced for the breed.

I use Royal Canin French Bulldog kibble, used to use the Junior, now able to get the specific kibble for them, doing really well on it.

I strayed from what my dogs breeder fed straight away. He was very old school and fed puppy pal and pet mince which looked horrible and I would never continue on with that. She now gets Big Dog Barf, Ziwipeak, chicken wings and necks and lamb flaps, sardines, eggs and healthy left overs. I think saying to stick with what the breeder feeds is to general and its good to do research into what your own beliefs are on feeding your pet as most breeders have many dogs and price often times would have to be a consideration.

Same. I am have not ever feed what a breeder has fed. I'll start them on it but then change it over.