Daina's Vulva Diary

Mim

Daina is a 6 year old desexed female Pembroke Welsh Corgi. At the start of the year we took Daina to the vet because her vulva looked mucky. It was then discovered that she has an inverted vulva (also called hypoplastic, recessed or juvenile) and the mess was vulvar fold dermatitis as well as a UTI. We have tried antibiotics, anti-inflammatory injections, topicals and daily cleaning but the infection is very stubborn and she is uncomfortable, so tomorrow she is having surgery to correct the inversion (vulvoplasty).

I am writing this post because when I was researching, there was not a lot of information about the surgery and people's experiences. This is one website I did find to be helpful.

I will be updating this post including photos of her progress in case it will help somebody else one day.

Before:

Lying on her back

20141002_103609_zpsfe40ff13.jpg

She is standing in this photo and I have spread the skin to pull open the vulva a bit. You can see some muck in there.

20141002_104032_zps67a666ea.jpg

And the rest of her

20141002_102724_zps349bb865.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The surgery went very well and she's home now. I don't want to bother her at the moment so will take photos tomorrow. It is currently swollen and a bit bloody but looks so much better. They shaved off so much fur though! :eek:

The vet nurses loved her and said she was the best behaved of all the patients they had today. :)

She's had some dinner and is currently sleeping. Muddy wants to get to her SO badly but he is a nurse dog (always licking any cuts or blisters we have) so he won't be going near her for more than nose-sniffs for a little while.

Yes oso. Unfortunately it was never noticed when she was younger and she was desexed without ever having a heat. For a while I was very annoyed that the vet who desexed her hadn't picked it up because we would have let her have a few heats to see if it corrected itself, but what's done is done.

She's doing really well. She's obviously very uncomfortable but I'm just encouraging her to sleep all the time. She is eating, drinking and toileting so that's good. She starts her tablets tonight; antibiotic and painkiller + anti inflammatory. Starting tonight as she had injections of everything yesterday.

Will post photos soon. The area is very swollen and has a lot of bruising but I actually think it looks quite good.

Raffikki, did your girl stop being bothered by the stitches? Daina is so annoyed by them but I'm hoping as the healing begins they won't be as uncomfortable. They'll be in for 10-14 days.

Here are photos from this morning:

Standing - can't see anything but swelling from this POV

20141005_085111_zps17918a29.jpg

Lying on her side with leg lifed

20141005_085138_zps77060b64.jpg

And this was her drugged face when we brought her home :laugh:

20141003_212202_zps0b91d7f9.jpg

This is rather timely.

Friend in the USA has a female Vizsla being checked for issues.

Appears mention has been made of your girl's diagnosis, mim.

Shall follow this thread.

Paws crossed for quick recovery and more comfort down the track.

:D

If it is an inverted vulva and the dog isn't desexed then definitely encourage them to let her have a heat or two, if they are planning to desex her.

This is rather timely.

Friend in the USA has a female Vizsla being checked for issues.

Appears mention has been made of your girl's diagnosis, mim.

Shall follow this thread.

Paws crossed for quick recovery and more comfort down the track.

:D

If it is an inverted vulva and the dog isn't desexed then definitely encourage them to let her have a heat or two, if they are planning to desex her.

Thank you. I have already emailed her with the info. She's new to dogs in general.

But her diligence in trying to find out as much as possible is wonderful. Family is lucky they are covered already by Pet Insurance and can manage costs.

Their breeder did offer to take the puppy back. They declined as they are already bonded.

Your gal is gorgeous, mim. Wishing you both the best here.

:)

Raffikki, did your girl stop being bothered by the stitches? Daina is so annoyed by them but I'm hoping as the healing begins they won't be as uncomfortable. They'll be in for 10-14 days.

Electra was quite uncomfortable for about a week, from memory. I let her sit on tea towels which were wrapped around bags of ice and she seemed to appreciate that most of the time.

I also think as it's changed the whole feel of the area, it look her that long to get used to it...she's very sensitive like that though, so may be different for your girl.

I have an album on facebook with pictures and the odd comment about her journey if you'd like a to have a look :)

Just took a photo while she's snoozing. Swelling has gone down and the bruising is slowly fading.

20141006_095307_zps55b0ba18.jpg

This is how she's lying a lot of the time so it mustn't be too painful for her, otherwise she wouldn't have her legs against it.

20141005_131811_zpsbb597b14.jpg