Daina's Vulva Diary

Mim

Today's photos, 4 days post-op. It looks really good today. The swelling is so minor and it looks almost like a normal vulva! She hasn't seemed bothered by it at all today and is fully convinced she should be allowed to wrestle and sprint around :laugh:

From behind while standing (her poor butchered tail fur :cry: )

20141007_133524_zpsc2fd026a.jpg

Lying on back

20141007_133622_zps258faf66.jpg

I wish I had taken a photo when we brought her home because it looked sooooo awful and swollen. I'm too much of a softie and didn't want to annoy her though. Such a huge difference in a matter of days.

Today is also the first day she hasn't been nibbling her front leg where they shaved for needles and things. I've been applying calamine lotion multiple times a day but, up until today, whenever she had her bucket off she was trying to satisfy the itch.

Tomorrow she has a follow-up appointment at the vet :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say, I've never seen a bruise on my girls. Cleo is the only one that's desexed, but even then it was only red and swollen, not purple.

and then, when I had my wisdom teeth out in hospital, under a GA, they were very rough and obviously used a breathing tube too big for my throat. Sometimes I think some surgeons get heavy handed when the patient is conked out.

Had she been able to wee like normal the whole time?

Ivy had a smelly vulva as a puppy. The breeder and I just took it as her being a lazy pup and not cleaning herself. But now looking at her vulva, I do check it often anyway, I think she might have a slight Inverted vulva.

Vet says she's healing better than expected! Very happy with everything. He said the bruising was because the surgery involves a lot of prodding under the skin with blunt-end scissors.

Unfortunately she can't wrestle with the boys or play hard until stitches are out. Back to the vet's in a week to check again and snip just a few stitches and then we'll see about when all the stitches can come out.

He said she's had "a facelift at the wrong end" :laugh:

Edited by Mim

Thanks for posting all of this Mim - it's something I've never heard of, very interesting.

Agreed.

I told Mim of a friend in the USA whose little puppy is in the process of having a similar diagnosis confirmed.

Been able to help her with info.

:)

Love that photo of her crossed feet. So sweet :)

I'm forever impressed at how strong dogs are, but I'm sure her excellent recovery is down to all of your efforts. She's in great hands.

Bruising? What bruising? Day 6 post-op and bruises are nearly gone.

20141009_152253_zpsb867a48a.jpg

Vet did comment yesterday that her tummy and thighs where she was shaved is pinker than normal so he thinks she's sensitive to clipper rash and I can just keep an eye on her itchiness.

All that dark gunk is scabbing which has started to flake off today.

20141009_152227_zps0c8eac67.jpg

Having her daily dose of liquid malt extract :eat:

20141009_152432_zps846ecbfc.jpg

Edited by Mim

looking so good! i would think if she were going to have a reaction to clipping it would have happened by now ?

The reaction is the pink skin and itchiness. He told me to keep an eye on her itchiness meaning note if it goes away or take action if she stays itchy.

My German Shepherd had a Vulvoplasty a month or so ago. Hers was due to the fact that she had a lot of skin and fur there and was causing infections around and on her bits. Her incision was in a semi circle as opposed to round like yours but it was still quite confronting when I picked her up. You are right in that there is not a lot on the web to get an idea of the scale of the operation.

I have noticed today that she has a slight pinkness just inside her vulva so I will have to take her back to the vet. I always though this was the original start of the infections but the vet didn't agree with me. He thought it was the excess skin. I thought the infection slightly internal and working its way out if that makes sense.

I hope your girl heals well, my Maddison has. Mind you she had a conehead for 10 days as she could reach the wound and ripped two stitches out within about 3 seconds on day 2.