Wollondilly Pound

I often get an email from this pound asking for help with the dogs in their care. The last two times they have had Jack Russell I have emailed them back saying I will take them and then the first time I stated I would be down on the sunday to pick the dogs up as there was two because the hours for me to get down to Picton and back to Sydney would not work, they were ok with that, but on the Friday they then gave one of the dogs to another rescue group and one was adopted from the pound and fortunately for me I rang before leaving home to make sure they hadn't been adopted otherwise I would have got there and wasted all that time and travel for nothing.

This week again I emailed to say I would pick up a Jack which was listed and was told that was ok and I had to organise one of my volunteers that lives in the area of Picton to pick him up on Friday as she comes to the kennels to help walk my dogs that day, and Jasmine said that was ok and would specially meet her for pick up, got an email back with the paperwork that I was to fill out.

Then came home today to find again they have given the dog to another rescue group.

Not sure if they care where the dog goes or just that the dog is out of their care. But really I do have more things to do then arrange all that needs to be done only to find it was a waste of time.

How do others find this pound because I am just about to call it quits.

Edited by JRT RESCUE

There are significant problems with this pound, starting from management that just couldn't care less. Only a couple of years ago they were killing absolutely everything and not working with rescue until a volunteer spent an extreme amount of time and effort forcing them to step up. They were resistant every step of the way,and it took at least a good 18 months to get them to consistently improve some of their issues without big resistance.

It is my understanding that some of the staff at the pound are now great as are some of the admin girls but management are absolutely horrendous and it bleeds out into how the place is run and the decisions that are made for the animals.

They are now infinitely better than they were but they are still far from ideal or acceptable in how they deal with a lot of things.

Edited by melzawelza

Jill I am sad to hear this has happened to you.

Wollondilly is a small rural pound and I have found they have always done their best by the animals.

I have worked with and supported this pound for many years and never had a problem at all.

The staff have been fantastic as have the admin ladies too.

In the last couple of years when Tdierikx and I have visited the pound there have been "situations" the volunteers have created themselves.

Melzawelza I would love to hear how improvements can be implemented for Wollondilly - inbox if you prefer.

xx LP xx