Internal Dog Runs

PooMother

Hi

Has anyone ever bought dog runs from these people www.petpanels.com.au? I am looking to install a block of 3 runs in one half of my garage, purely for wet weather/night use etc. I'm trying to decide between Petpanels and Goldstein. Now I know Goldstein are considered the best but there is a $500 difference between the 2. If there is an absolute quality difference between them it will make my choice easy but if not then price will play a part in it. Are there any other companies out there that offer quality runs? I have border collies and a German shepherd.

Thanks

We own a fencing company.... Sometimes from first look there can be no difference between two fencing products.... however there can be a huge difference in the quality of the posts and wire. There are different gage of wire.... and different thicknesses.... naturally the thicker means heavier as well.

In our boarding kennels we use heavy guage wire in the enclosures but a lighter guage in the paddocks... We also have heavy pipe but that is because we have access to plenty of second hand posts that we have removed from sites and re-home in our paddocks.

For personal use - you might find that it will not matter as your own dogs are less likely to damage the pens.... but take care if you are planning on looking after other dogs - we have difficulty with staffies as they will grab the wire and pull and pull - not uncommon for staffies to tear the fence.....

My suggestion is to have a look at the panels personally... check the welds and see if they look clean - there is a lot of product coming in from China - quality control is really poor. farm gates particularly are so cheap these days but if a cow decides to rub its bottom on the gate just watch all the welds pop and often the frame can snap.....

We own a fencing company.... Sometimes from first look there can be no difference between two fencing products.... however there can be a huge difference in the quality of the posts and wire. There are different gage of wire.... and different thicknesses.... naturally the thicker means heavier as well.

In our boarding kennels we use heavy guage wire in the enclosures but a lighter guage in the paddocks... We also have heavy pipe but that is because we have access to plenty of second hand posts that we have removed from sites and re-home in our paddocks.

For personal use - you might find that it will not matter as your own dogs are less likely to damage the pens.... but take care if you are planning on looking after other dogs - we have difficulty with staffies as they will grab the wire and pull and pull - not uncommon for staffies to tear the fence.....

My suggestion is to have a look at the panels personally... check the welds and see if they look clean - there is a lot of product coming in from China - quality control is really poor. farm gates particularly are so cheap these days but if a cow decides to rub its bottom on the gate just watch all the welds pop and often the frame can snap.....

Thank you, yes even looking at some online the wire and welding looks flimsy.

I've only ever heard good things about GS but have not laid eyes on any of the others. Wish there were stores that stocked them so you could go and have a look.

What gauge wire would you suggest? As mentioned before these will be inside our garage which is brick.

A bit off topic, but take note of the temperature of your garage. Mines heats up like a furnace.

Good point.

Lucky for us it is quite cool. We are looking at placing them next to the wall where our bedroom is. Garage is attached to the house, brick and not quite a triple and has a concrete slab. We can open the garage doors and there is good airflow. I'm not sure how hot it gets in there in summer as this will be our first but they would only be in the runs at night, if it is hot they can come inside, guess we will soon see. We do have one of those old fashioned temperature gauge things in there so I will keep an eye on it.

LIKE button needed.

:thumbsup:

If the garage is part of the house, check in the roof to see if it is insulated. Often when houses are built the garage area is not insulated (cost savings), so adding insulation if there isn't any will help keep it cooler.

The garage doesn't actually have a ceiling but it is very high, it was added apparently after the house was built. It has the silver stuff attached to it. Think it is the iron stuff too. It's quite warm here already today but is cool in there with a good breeze blowing through but of course not middle of summer yet. I leave the back garage door open for them all day and night and they have access to the wrap around verandah and there is a pergola that is there aswell. Normally they sleep on their beds in the garage. I've had to put the gates across the verandah though because they like to play chasing at all hours of the night lol.