Scottie & Anxiety

Quick update. Worried about "jinxing" things - but we're now on day 4/15 & all seems to be going ok. No noise complaints from anyone and more importantly - no signs of an unhappy pup. He seems happy enough, chilled and happy when I get home. Not clingy and has only trashed his crate once - which isn't too bad.

Hubby has been coming home at 12pm - eating lunch in back yard & playing fetch at the same time. He's then home between 4.30 and 5.00pm & they play fetch again for a short while before hubby comes to pick me up.

Scottie is walked between 6.00am and 6.30am for 1 to 2kms - depending on who walks him and how many times they've hit snooze. He's crated between 7.10am and lunch and again from 12.50ish until hubby gets home. Scottie is left out free range of the house and yard while hubby picks me up from where I'm doing placement.

Scottie and I are having walks and cuddles in the evening - similar distances to AM walks as I am completely zonked - that's a professional term for utterly exhausted. After walks I'm crashing on the couch with Scottie and watching mindless TV while also bushing him most evenings.

Scottie seems happy enough - or as happy as usual to be locked in his crate in the mornings. He's being left with a full bowl of water and his AM supply of kibble + a toy. He's getting a bully stick at lunch time as a bit of a bribe - I'm not finding them in the crate so can only assume they're being eaten. It's possible they're being buried in the yard during his time unsupervised - who knows - who cares - they're his treats to do with what he will - so long as I don't find them in my bed.

We were leaving an audio book on - but the app has crashed on my laptop and I can't fix it - so hubby has been finding random long play youtube videos to listen to. This afternoon it was "three ways to destroy the universe"

(*Shakes head*)

He's on a full dose of Endep - 20mg AM and PM.

& that's about it. Not sure what our long term options will hold. If get one or two days a week this is a sustainable option - especially coming into winter - I would not leave him out in an NZ winter and he can't *really* be in the house unsupervised. Obviously this wouldn't work so well 5 days a week all the time.

Not sure what weeks 2 and 3 will bring - but it's been an unexpected and much more pleasant start.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

We made it. HE made it!!!!!

3 weeks full time with me at work and no major signs of destructive behaviour or complaints from the neighbours.

Weeks one and two went pretty well as I mentioned above when I popped in for a day 4 update.

Hubby home at 12pm-ish - eating lunch in back yard & playing fetch at the same time. He's home between 4.30 and 5.00pm & they play fetch again for a short while before hubby comes to pick me up.

Scottie is walked between 6.00am and 6.30am for 1 to 2kms - depending on who walks him and how many times they've hit snooze. He's crated between 7.10am and lunch and again from 12.50ish until hubby gets home. Scottie is left out free range of the house and yard while hubby picks me up from where I'm doing placement.

Week three was a bit less successful. Hubby went away for work at shot notice so Monday of week 3 was OK - He was home prepping to leave and I did a half day. Tuesday I got home at lunch but it was a logistical nightmare - Door to desk it took a solid 30 minutes to drive to "work", park, walk to office. So doing that in reverse wasn't feasible - on tueday I pushed my luck and got back to the office 5 mins late. I also risked it and got a casual parking spot - popped out to feed the meter at 3.30pm. It also cost a tonne - $4 all day parking in the back parking lot or $2 an hour in the casual lot closer to the office ... all in all I look a "too long" lunch break and paid $12 for parking.

Thurs was also a really full on day with things scheduled right up to 12pm and again at 12.45. I tried to book him into day care but the lady I had lined up and pre-met for day care has stopped doing it - and hadn't told me. I didn't push for her to do it as her dogs also managed to catch Kennel Cough - I suspect part of the reason she stopped doing day care!!!

So wed, thurs and fri - I just crated him straight through - I left a bit later in the mornings 8am and was home by about 5 - then I'd spend a full hour out the back with him before coming in and doing things and walking him at 7. He managed OK - but by friday he'd had enough - he wouldnt come in after going out for last pee & he didn't eat his treat either.

So that's where we are. I can relax a bit now and plan to have a more relaxed week with him while I write up my report from placement and catch up on other study units I've neglected while on placement.

I also discovered during one of my hour long fetch / sunbaking / snuggle in the yard sessions that he can - and does get under the house - took himself under to get a ball I (stupidly) thought was lost. He was all "No worries Mum - I got this" and was around the corner, in, out and back to me faster than it took for me to crouch down and assess the situation. So that'll need addressing too - little shit :)

Basically now we've got to address the issue of what on earth to do with him long term?. He really can't be trusted to have free run of the house - and even if he could - short of trying to litter train him he'd still need to hold on for toileting all day. The yard is less dog proof than I realized would be a HUGE job for proof. It would be great we could give him outside / laundry access.

Coming into winter I have no problems having him crated when we are not home. But we can't do that to him 8 hours a day - 5 days a week. This only worked so well because Hub could get home to him mid day. Assuming Hub is available to get home every lunch time is not a safe assumption to make. In reality he could be called away at the drop of a hat. Me getting home could be a possibility - if we had a second car or I had a flexible enough job - both HUGE ifs.

I'm thinking something like this kind of butted up to the backdoor - which opens inwards might work: http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animals/dogs/kennels-crates-pens/kennels-with-runs/auction-1046768803.htm We could make do and save up once I get work - making it a first / high priority for my first few pay checks.

Of course - still hoping for part time work - but at this stage - work is work - I'd do *almost* anything.

my dog can hang on for 12 hours... it's easier for her if I've been feeding the casserole, and harder if she's been eating dry dog food.

but no accidents.

she does stay inside the house when I'm out.

I guess that's not very hopeful.

I think if you did 25 minute walk with lots of new smells (go somewhere slightly different each day)... and then five mins of trick training when you got home that he'd be ok for the day until you get home?

my dog can hang on for 12 hours... it's easier for her if I've been feeding the casserole, and harder if she's been eating dry dog food.

but no accidents.

she does stay inside the house when I'm out.

I guess that's not very hopeful.

I think if you did 25 minute walk with lots of new smells (go somewhere slightly different each day)... and then five mins of trick training when you got home that he'd be ok for the day until you get home?

I *think* he's OK - no signs of unhappyness - no trashed crate (only once in 15 days), no chewing his tail (that's big!), no howling that we know of. But he also was on a very full dose of drugs. Unfortunately - walking options around here are a bit limited - we kind of live on a road which is a big "P" - you walk one way in and one way out - you can mix it up a bit but it's boring. Footpath only on one side - no verge or shoulder on the other so can't even mix it up like that.

As for duration I kind of think *can* and *comfort* are two different things. I know he CAN hold on between 8 and 10 hours - he was crated every night from May to November last year - but he also had full and interesting days out. Even then he had a few nights where he'd cry. A lot at first - then just one or so every now and then.

I just feel bad making an aging dog hold his bladder for extended amounts of time. Also not much of a life if he's crated all day then I get home and I'm too pooped to do anything with him. We were fortunate enough that the afternoons were stunning and warm and I could sit or lay on a towel and play and just be out there with him.

I'm also worried about creating other behavior problems from boredom. Anyhow... Unfortunately I need to work. Fortunately we can afford for that to be part time ... so hopefully the universe clicks into place so he can have a relaxed and happy old age.

That said, I value every opinion and comment because if I do end up doing 5 days again while he's still around we will need a workable solution.

Could you pay a vet nurse or someone else to come at midday? Ultimately cheaper than daycare. Vet nurses often do at-home vacation care though I'm not sure if they usually do lunch visits.

I think it would be similar in costs. Based on the local pawshake economy - It's about $20 for a walk or a day of 'care' (day boarding / day care / what ever you call it). I think it's about $15 for a home visit.

The lady who was doing day care (who I'd kind of lined up *could* come do a walk. I could give her a key to let herself in. Not sure how I feel about that. I have had a dog walker in the past but I kind of "inherited" her off someone I trusted a lot so had no issues with her letting herself into the house. I do quite like this lady - it wouldn't be too much of a problem.. I suppose the crux is no matter what we end up doing we'll probably have to do something we're not 100% comfortable with :)

Ah ok, I'm not familiar with Pawshake but with other companies in Sydney daycare seems to be double the price of a dog walk.

I forgot to add to my previous post a very well done to Team Scottie (which of course includes Scottie himself). :thumbsup:

I read through your thread and you've come such a long way, even if week 3 was a bit less successful. :)

Cheering for you and Scottie!

Did you see my thread about doggie doors? Currently I have my laundry door locked so the dog can go chill in the laundry if needbe. I like your idea of doing something similar and having it hooked up to a dog run. He's kind of small, maybe you could even check out those cat runs that let cats go indoor and outdoor so he's able to pop out for a poo/wee but not freeroaming your yard?

Cheering for you and Scottie!

Did you see my thread about doggie doors? Currently I have my laundry door locked so the dog can go chill in the laundry if needbe. I like your idea of doing something similar and having it hooked up to a dog run. He's kind of small, maybe you could even check out those cat runs that let cats go indoor and outdoor so he's able to pop out for a poo/wee but not freeroaming your yard?

We've got quite a god set up here and I think that's what I'd like to ultimately do. Here, I drew you a picture. :D

post-51207-0-84936400-1457916435_thumb.jpg

We have a lockable internal door -into house and kind of "external access" to the the laundry. It's just a matter of finding *something* secure and affordable which can butt up against the back door I suppose (door opens in so that's good).

The brown bits are dirt / flower beds - he can / could access under the house from those points so ideally what ever we get would have 4 walls to keep him away from the walls of the house and from getting under. the red things are two very steep steps.

The grey is concrete paths - one around the corner of the house, one which goes no-where (used to go to a shed I'm told) and the one in the middle goes to the clothes line.

I looked up some awesome NZ made panels last night - but holy heck they were expensive. Looked incredible but

I think ideally we'd get 4 panels like below and sit it along the edge of the concrete (where I've put the yellow circle)- keeping him off the walls entirely. Ideally we'd flip & create a gap to get in and out of the house and use the gate to still access the washing line - kind of like the panels create an airlock into the house.

Something like this would be good - with some modification

http://www.tornadogates.co.nz/images/Dog%20Run%20Compound%20Assembled.JPG

this is also great (but expensive). Unfortunately I know he can jump 1.2 when he wants to - so it would need a roof...

http://www.premium-lifestyle.co.nz/product/3m-x-1m-triple-dog-run/

Edited by Scottsmum