Scottie & Anxiety

Found a new off leash not too far from home which appears to be hardly used and bonus points for not sharing with a bike path! It's not ideal in terms of location (it is too close to a road and a hedge he could bugger off under but it works and will be great with a long line -

This is always a worry. Would it be possible to gradually introduce some logs/bricks/something underneath the hedge that would not be seen but would be a barrier?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found a new off leash not too far from home which appears to be hardly used and bonus points for not sharing with a bike path! It's not ideal in terms of location (it is too close to a road and a hedge he could bugger off under but it works and will be great with a long line -

This is always a worry. Would it be possible to gradually introduce some logs/bricks/something underneath the hedge that would not be seen but would be a barrier?

Nah - it's a huge paddock and the "under hedge" has been cleared - obviously on purpose - to about fox terrier height. LOL

We'll be on a long line there from now on - but really that's fine - he just likes to derp round - have a jump like a bronco. Not so possible on a regular leash.

Also: Totally 'sorsted after all this "being a good boy"

24227805519_ea57e6711a_n.jpg20160125_150115 by Superspanger, on Flickr

Edited by Scottsmum

Thanks guys.

Trying to be level headed about this - I know, well, I expect a meltdown of epic proportions to be coming - it's been hard (on me emotionally) but he's been so good and some ahead so quickly. I hope he can keep it up but at the same time I'm bracing for it to unravel.

Trying something a touch different this morning. Hubby normally pops home between 1 and 3 times a day and will be trying to come home and spend his whole lunch break with Scottie while I'm on work placement. I also came to the horrible realisation that for that to occur hubby will need the car (which we knew) but for us to all be out the door and on time - with Scottie walked and settled I'll have to be dog walking by 5.45 and no later.

Considering I haven't worked a day in just over 2 months, closer to 3 by the time placement starts and I have a "rule" which I break at least once a fortnight that I need to be out of bed by 9am I think this week we'll be focusing on "Mummy's SA from her bed". I don't do mornings well.

So yeh: the theme of this week - stay the course, pray we just keep moving forward, start building the morning routine into our lives and try to get it sorted for the benefit of all of us.

Edited by Scottsmum

......... and I have a "rule" which I break at least once a fortnight that I need to be out of bed by 9am I think this week we'll be focusing on "Mummy's SA from her bed". I don't do mornings well.

Oh! How I can relate. I’ve been retired for some years now and I have drifted into terribly bad habits, like reading until 2am, etc etc. Sometimes, even through the night.

Good luck with your new regime. You’ll do it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well this week hasn't gone quite as well as last week - we struggled to hit the three hour mark - finally getting a combined total of just over 3 hours today. Hubby has been in and out so much and I gave in on Wednesday and let Scottie have a "lighter" day - less time on the line/chain.

Anyhow. This afternoon I put him straight out after Hubs lunch break and he stayed out for the whole afternoon - which is great. So the 3 hour mark has been the monkey we couldn't get off our back. We're still on track but we really need to hit a full day by next friday at the latest - so he can have one full week of long "practice days".

Trying lots of things out - without mixing messages or bombarding him - but he seems to be picking up on it all really fast. Had a good think about what Perse said above, and as I said we'd chatted about NILF, als still reading "The Practical Dog Listner" and trying to implement or bring things back into line. For example we'd gotten sloppy on making him sit while I put his leash on for a walk. Today his bum hit the floor in record time and he stayed without moving - first time in ages. Hubby says he seems a lot calmer. Also making him heel a bit more on walks, not sniff as much and a few other things. I think one of the other big ones has been waiting for a solid 5 minutes of calm after any separation. It's all adding up, with so far positive results.

Had a good chat to a mate about "pack dominance" because I really hate the term and idea - she set me straight. It's funny, she's had a tough life and is a bit broken, but I forget she's an insanely intelligent person with a real knack for animals. She basicay said "leadership and Dominance got mixed up somewhere there. Probably due to our mate Ceaser" ...and ... "It's about letting your dogs know it's OK mate. I got this"

So yeh...Mummy training seems to be coming along too.

Food enrichment not doing so much for him - he's not overly interested in his kong or ice blocks - but that's how breakfast is being served - eat it or don't.

Made a snuffle mat - it's a complete flop - but again - I just keep putting it out - some days with ziwipeak in it - some days with nothing. I like sitting on it - it's very comfy :)

Will pop a cardboard box in the yard next week (weighted down with a rock or tent peg - very windy here) and find something fun to hide in there. Probably a squeaky toy.

Also have a treat ball which he loves - might stuff that with kibble and freeze the whole thing in an ice cream container so he can think about it - I think he'll be more motivated to get his "inside ball" out of the ice than a "boring old kong".

Also need to plan things for Hubby to leave out after lunch so mornings aren't the only time he's got enrichment. If the box with a surprise is a hit I'll do it in the mornings as it will take a bit longer to set up and hubby can dole out a bully stick to chew on and maybe ... something else...

I think your dog is lucky to have you. You put a lot of effort in.

I have a small dog that came with separation issues (plus 2 othere thou). He is 12 now but sometimes it still kicks in.

Your mate who explained some about leadership did give you good advice. You don't need to turn into the fun police but if you are the friend with the key to the good stuff it can work well.

Maybe some training will be fun and tire him out too. If your dog has a release word then some recalls and immediate release to go sniff r fun on your walk. My kelpie loves being told to come simply so she can b told to go play again. A anticipation junkie!

Are you interested in agility at all. Exercise and thinking all at once.

Regardless, your dog is a cutie. Good luck

It sounds like it's a big learning curve for both you and although things might not be progressing as fast as you'd hoped, he's still doing really well. He's lucky to have such an awesome mum who's wiling to put in huge amounts of effort to help him cope and make him happy. :thumbsup:

It's a tough one Snook- I know he's a little living breathing being and I can't rush the process - but it was just really tough not being able to really crack that 3 hr mark. The first week went so well, I was expecting the same progress - but also knew not to expect it if you know what I mean. Anyhow.... This week is a new week and we've managed some leeway with placement being pushed back a week so I now have a bit of extra time up my sleeve.

I think your dog is lucky to have you. You put a lot of effort in.I have a small dog that came with separation issues (plus 2 othere thou). He is 12 now but sometimes it still kicks in. Your mate who explained some about leadership did give you good advice. You don't need to turn into the fun police but if you are the friend with the key to the good stuff it can work well.

Maybe some training will be fun and tire him out too. If your dog has a release word then some recalls and immediate release to go sniff r fun on your walk. My kelpie loves being told to come simply so she can b told to go play again. A anticipation junkie!Are you interested in agility at all. Exercise and thinking all at once.Regardless, your dog is a cutie. Good luck

Hi Skip - Thanks for dropping in :) We try to get training in where we can. Obedience once a week at the moment. With a great instructor who mixes things up - last week we went on a group walk to the river for a swim and back. The week before that we went "tree climbing" where the younger and larger dogs had to climb up onto a trunk which was kind of horizontal and walk along it, turn around and get back down. I took the "old man" option and lifted him up and down - so it was basically like a balance beam - he was zonked after that. We try to incorporate as much of what you suggested into day to day life - I'd just become lazy to be honest. So thanks for the reminder.

And yes - I think he's a cutie pie too.

here he is this afternoon finishing off his (*ahem* second) bully stick for the day. Some crazy person stuffed it in a kong. Why would you do that?

24113091594_d9f605bebf_c.jpg122875c4-01f5-487d-9be3-5a644e824ad8 by Superspanger, on Flickr

24741271585_06b08e2ac2_c.jpgunnamed by Superspanger, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

We've (read: I've) had a really slack week.

I had last wednesday "off" - Needed to do some house work.

Then hubby was home early last friday, Monday was a public holiday and I took tuesday "off" because I felt like it.

Yesterday he did 4 hours straight with only some whinging at the 30 minute mark. This week was supposed to be the week we hit 7 hours every day but I slacked off - now I'm paying for it with nerves.

I put him out this morning for a bit and he was whinging a tiny bit, let him back in 20 minutes later as we had a knock at the door and he was quiet the whole time (he was quiet before I let him in too). Have just popped him back out now - aiming for him to be out til Hubby gets home from work.

Starting to really worry about doing this 3 weeks in a row. I am working 8.30 to 5.30 + travel time and we don't have a suitable back up if it all goes bum up. We could use the dog sitter I found - she has vacancy twice a week but we don't have the money for that.

He'll probably be on his own 7.30 am til 12-ish.

then 12.45 to 4.30.

Have been timing and measuring my walks with map my walk - so I can get a decent idea of distance (I'm so bad with guessing) turns out what I was calling my "long" walk is only 1.9 km and now we're not stopping to sniff as much we can belt that out in a lot less time than is ideal. I can get it up to 2km with a long sniff along a fence. Aiming for a much longer morning walk every day I'm on placement (we have a route - I hate it it feels too long - sadly it's still less than 5km which is what we were doing most days in Sydney).

I suppose if it goes bad we'll just have to crate him in the house and hope the neighbours don't complain - they're pretty good -but I don't want to test them! At least the one closest to the room we'd crate him in is at work similar hours to hubby

It's a long day for him but the great thing is that he gets a reprieve and some company for a little while in the middle of the day and has someone home with him from 4:30pm, so if he can make it through the first half, the second half should feel considerably shorter for him and he's getting his walk before the first half, which will help a lot even though it's not as long as you'd like at the moment. If you're not feeling able to do longer walks at the moment, would it be worth thinking about letting him spend more time sniffing like he used to, to help use up his mental energy? Or is that likely to just start bad habits up again?

Great point Snook - its always nice when your afternoon goes faster :)

As for changing walk routines. He does need consistency - he's always been very methodical and routine based so I'm hesitant to let him go back to old habits on the AM walks - we've really mixed up the PM walks - we have three great spots now full of really great sniffing options. I think I'm just going to have to get up early enough to get the longer walk in from now on (before it gets too hot - the sun has real bite over here - it's insane) God I hate mornings - this is about to be 3 weeks of hell for me - with or without him being naughty ;)

Also literally just found this app: http://www.dogmonitorapp.com/ which I'm going to pop on my tablet and phone. Will be interesting to see what it offers. Negatives include that if he is loud there's noting I can do about it and I'll set it up to watch his bed but wont be able to track him when he's outside, but the positive is that at least I'll know if he is crying and should be able to see if he just spends his days chilling. If he is naughty we can find a way to try and stop him the next day. Plus if he cries all morning I can tell hubby to leave him in in the afternoon.

Blurgh.

Maybe he's just feeling sooky. Maybe he's feeling off. Maybe the penny has dropped. Maybe he just knows I'm home because there's a ragout simmering on the stove - it was that or starve tonight - these long days of tip toeing around the house are taking their toll on me too.

We was a bit flat when I put him out this afternoon and he's been out there for an hour now carrying on like a goose. Not enough for the neighbours to complain - but engough for me to know he's really pissed off.

Not entirely sure how to stop him / re-set him :(

Any how - vet next week and then placement the week after. urgh.

It's OK Snook. There are no real answers :( It's hard. A money tree would help ;)

I just went out - I did wait til he was quiet.

Gave him a big cuddle, refused an offer to play with his stinky toy, slipped him an extra little blue pill and put him back in his bed with a jumper I had hanging on a hook in the laundry.

So far we're into 20 minutes of comparative shush. I'm pretty good at reading his body language - he's been blah all afternoon - I think if this had been a work day I'd have probably crated him for the day.

We've had an hour of shush - just snuck out to check on dinner and he sounds fast asleep (let out a big sleepy sigh) so he's obviously in bed - so that's good.

Seems all he needed was a cuddle. He slept on my feet last night - technically on his spot/blankie - but very obviously on my feet too. He's such a mummas boy.

So we've been to the vet today for a top up on the little blue pills. Clean bill of health which was good - I was a bit stressed about a lump I found on him about a week or two ago. So I'm glad that's sorted and the vet isn't worried about the lump.

Best thing about the visit was actually before it - I know that sounds odd. But I was giving him a brush to make sure I'd removed evidence of fleas (after finding one and subsequently giving him a comfortus the other day) and I noticed while I was brushing him that he appears to have stopped chewing his tail. Can't believe I'd missed the hair re-growing - but it's all nice and thick and lush again after close to 12 months of it looking kind of ratty in places. So that was a nice little surprise.

The vet had zero advice for me re: behavior - he was happy enough for me to continue what we're doing or to crate him and suggested that we might like to consider bumping his drugs up to something stronger when I return to full time work.

I'll be asking for a referral to the behaviorist before that happens. I feel guilty enough having him drugged - even though he's a more level dog, who is a lot better to live with when he's on them.

I don't know what the long term solution is - but I don't think it's stronger drugs. .. Maybe it is?

This time next week I'll be 2/3 through my fist day. I'm seriously chickening out and thinking I might crate him the whole time - which seems wrong - but I do know it's totally physcially do-able for him. Hubby will be home for a pee break at lunch, it's nice and cool in the hall way where I'd move the crate, I can leave the fan on, we can keep the flies out and if he cries - the house will muffle some of the sorrowful howls. But he doesn't *usually* cry in his crate - and he was crated every night, for up to 10 hours, except for one or two from May through to November last year.

... when I give him his Paroxetine each day and more like I'm treating his medical condition. I do feel like I'm drugging him when I give him Clonidine to assist with stressful things like storms or fireworks though, as it drops his arousal levels significantly and has a sedative effect (without actually preventing him from reacting if he's stressed and without inhibiting his motor skills). I wouldn't like to give him Clonidine every day but will happily give him the Paroxetine (which means the Clonidine is needed far less often)..

That's a really good way to look at it :)