New Here, Quick Question

H@wkeye!

Hi All

So i'm brand new here but hoping i could lean on the forums expertise in dog ownership and whatnot. My partner and i just bought and moved into a (rather old) new house, which among other things, has a big, fully fenced backyard. Both my partner and i grew up with dogs, she a German Shepard and later a pug, and me a rough collie (Bluey) and later Brittney's (Mac and D'arcy). We have, for some time now, been interested in getting a dog of our own. After some discussion we've tentatively concluded that a rough collie is the one for us. However, before we go ahead and get one, we want to make sure we've ticked all the boxes. What i'd like to do, is set up a meet with a collie, just so that we can be sure it is the breed for us before we go ahead and get one. Can anyone offer me any suggestions on how to do this? I honestly can't remember ever seeing a rough collie in Canberra, and have only found 1 breeder. Then, does anyone have any suggestions on how to choose, and approach a breeder? Not done it before.

Thanks in advance.

Hawk.

As I drove out of Canberra yesterday afternoon I noticed they had a big dog show on at EPIC, I think it's usually a three day show being the long weekend so maybe go to the showgrounds tomorrow and see if there are any being shown and chat to the owners when they are not busy getting ready for the ring.

I think the more info you can get from owners the easier it is to find the right breeder, get lots of advice and recommendations from those on here with the breed and if you can, get to the show so you can suss out your chosen breed and others that might catch your eye too.

Take your time to get the right up up too, and use your gut instinct, of a breeder doesn't feel right find another.

Good luck :)

You may have to travel for your future pup, so maybe scan further afield for breeders.

I know there are a couple of smooth collie breeders over Yass way - maybe they (or the state collie club) can help you get in touch with a rough breeder.

Link to NSW Collie Club

My link

Edited by Staffyluv

There were Collie Rough at the show on Friday, whether or not she's still entered on Monday I'm not sure but it's worth heading over to have a look.

There are almost always Roughs entered at shows in the area so it's worth having a look at what is going on around ACT and come along to one.

I've been at the working dog shows all weekend with my Cardigan Corgis, and there have been Collie Roughs here at all shows. I have a friend who does obedience as well, who breeds rarely, and I thinks there's a breeder at Marulan.

I checked my catalogue, and there are actually 16 Collie Roughs entered tomorrow (Monday), including my friend, so it's probably a good day to come and check out Collies!

If you're nervous, come and find me with the Brindle and White Cardigan Corgi (I have the only one entered, and I'll introduce you to my friend)

Edited by Cleo's Corgwyn

Ah excellent, thanks, will head over tomorrow! May even be able to find a breeder too! Not that we want to show our pup, merely to get one that we know is a full collie.

Thanks!

Hawk

You don't need to want to show to buy from a breeder that you knows cares about the breed :thumbsup: Drop by and say hi if you see us!