My Dog Won't Eat!

danakay9

I have an 11 month old Pomeranian and for the last few months she has completely stopped eating her dry food. I have bought several different brands but she still won't go anywhere near it. I'm thinking of giving it a break and not feed her dry food for at least a few months :confused:

Has anyone had the same issue or experienced something similar? Anyone have any advice on what i can do? :whisper:

This is driving me crazy

UPDATE: Just want to mention that in the past i have tried mixing her dry food with wet food or cooked food but she will sit there and separate the dry and only eat the wet food :(

Edited by danakay9

She is a completely healthy dog. She loves her food, she eats properly, her teeth are healthy and a vet has checked her recently. She loves chewing especially when i give her bones.

I don't hand feed her. I was using Purina Supercoat and Natures Gift before but when she stopped eating it i gave up for like 2 months and i gave her a break on dry food. During this time she was just on wet food or cooked food etc. Recently i bought Science Diet and Ideal Balance from the pet store. I heard many good things about it so i thought i'd give it a try. Only today i started giving her dry food again. In the morning i put down her bowl and she would come forward and sniff it but she wouldn't eat, then i picked her bowl up. Just before i put it down again for her dinner and she still hasn't touched it. I can even hear her stomach growling but shes not giving in. I can easily give her wet food now but I want her to break out of this habit and start eating her dry food again. :confused:

Edited by danakay9

I'm presuming you are just giving her bowls of dried food only for dinner?

This is pretty bland, even if you change brands.

A really good brand that most dogs enjoy is Royal Canin but to that I'd recommend you add something to moisten it such as:

Tuna (in spring water)

Turkey mince (cooked)

Veggies - carrot (cooked or raw), peas, beans, broccoli

I try and make any dried food a bit moist and therefore a bit more interesting and palatable.

How strange!

Have you thought about a raw diet? Do you mind making her food yourself?

I do make her home cooked meals a couple times a week and also feed her cut up raw chicken necks for a meal sometimes or maybe even raw meat

I'm presuming you are just giving her bowls of dried food only for dinner?

This is pretty bland, even if you change brands.

A really good brand that most dogs enjoy is Royal Canin but to that I'd recommend you add something to moisten it such as:

Tuna (in spring water)

Turkey mince (cooked)

Veggies - carrot (cooked or raw), peas, beans, broccoli

I try and make any dried food a bit moist and therefore a bit more interesting and palatable.

Same reply as above ^. I have done that before but i've heard that its not good to it because they become more picky like that?

Also another thing i take into consideration, when i do mix other stuff in with her dry food she separates the dry food and only eats the wet food

Edited by danakay9

If I'm reading your second post correctly, she's been on wet and cooked food only for a while now and you've just today re-introduced dry kibble? If that is the case, of course she doesn't want it, she's been getting the super yummy stuff and kibble is kinda boring compared to that.

If she's been on wet/cooked only for a while now you don't need to worry about mixing wet through the kibble making her fussy, she's already being fussy about it. Mix a little wet through, give her only a small serve and do as you have been with put it down, leave it down for 5 mins then take it away, morning and night. Don't give her ANYTHING else to eat, she WILL eat when she's really hungry (unless she has a health issue, which it sounds like she doesn't).

Alternatively, keep her on a good quality wet food or balanced home made diet and give her regular bones to keep her teeth in good condition. Personally I prefer kibble for their main meal so I know they're getting balance but plenty of people are less lazy than me and successfully feed without it ;)

If I'm reading your second post correctly, she's been on wet and cooked food only for a while now and you've just today re-introduced dry kibble? If that is the case, of course she doesn't want it, she's been getting the super yummy stuff and kibble is kinda boring compared to that.

If she's been on wet/cooked only for a while now you don't need to worry about mixing wet through the kibble making her fussy, she's already being fussy about it. Mix a little wet through, give her only a small serve and do as you have been with put it down, leave it down for 5 mins then take it away, morning and night. Don't give her ANYTHING else to eat, she WILL eat when she's really hungry (unless she has a health issue, which it sounds like she doesn't).

Alternatively, keep her on a good quality wet food or balanced home made diet and give her regular bones to keep her teeth in good condition. Personally I prefer kibble for their main meal so I know they're getting balance but plenty of people are less lazy than me and successfully feed without it ;)

Thanks for the advice. The only issue is that in the past i have tried mixing her kibble with wet food. But she separates every single bit of the kibble and eats the wet food only. If she would eat them both properly then i wouldn't have any trouble :(

In that case I'd be going tough love! Kibble or nothing :) You could try soaking the kibble in hot water till it's soft and serve it while it's still warm. Then you can gradually start to do some soaked, some hard and wean her onto hard only. We often do that with shelter dogs who won't eat kibble.

Again, only do small serves and throw out each meal if she doesn't eat it then give her a fresh serve each time. I know you'll feel mean but don't fall for her cute puppy dog eyes, it's for her own good. Obviously if she goes more than a couple of days and/or is losing weight she can't afford to lose you may need to re-think but dogs can be much more stubborn than humans when it comes to things they really want so sometimes we have to out-stubborn them.

From what you have said your Dog seems happy to have wet food... she eats bones.... therefore whats the problem ?.... perhaps she has more sense than most people and feels a more natural diet is what she wants instead of the highly processed food.....

I don't care what your vet or others might say... dogs don't have to eat kibble....

I'm with AB, if your dog is happily eating wet mix and raw meat bone then i'd be feeding wet mix and raw meaty bone. I'm a raw feeder my 3yo labby only gets raw and my 8 week old girl gets a mix of raw and kibble as her breeder requests this. When she's about 12-18 months old i'll remove the kibble completely.

Contrary to popular belief (outside DOL) dogs can eat a raw diet and live a healthy, nutritionally well balanced life without kibble and actually enjoy it!

From what you have said your Dog seems happy to have wet food... she eats bones.... therefore whats the problem ?.... perhaps she has more sense than most people and feels a more natural diet is what she wants instead of the highly processed food.....

I don't care what your vet or others might say... dogs don't have to eat kibble....

This was my thought too. If she doesn't like it then why not just give her healthy fresh food. My dogs dont eat dry, they have fresh meat, fruit veggies, and meaty bones, oh, and lots of horse poo, which they source themselves. I can send you some if you want. (kidding)

It was mainly kibble that my dog wouldn't eat. She did eat bones and raw. She wasn't impressed with tinned food. I assume that because she wasn't feeling great that she would only eat the yummiest of food. She had no other signs of being sick for ages btw. Heaps of energy, glossy coat etc.

I put a very similar thread up on here and got the same responses you are getting.

Your dog might just be being cheeky or there might be something wrong.