Professional Dog Handler

Jayne Hatcher

hi everyone. It's been many years since I have shown and now have no faith in my ability. I have a pug who is 7 months old and showing a lot of promise. He is very calm and placid. I really would love to find someone to take him in the ring for us, I don't want to let him down with my lack of confidence and ability. I am in South Australia. I am very willing to pay all expenses and a handling fee. Hope I hear from someone soon ????

There aren't very many professional handlers in this country.

It should be about having fun! Take your Pug to some laid back shows first - member competitions, open shows etc. and get your confidence back! There may be some puppy training classes held at the Dog SA grounds - I'm sure the Adelaide people will know.

Another thought - juniors competing in handler competitions like to handle as many dogs as they can in the ring - there are probably junior handlers who would love to take your Pug in the ring if you really can't find the confidence.

Good luck with whatever way you want to go.smile.gif

Yes the junior handlers. Ask around at the show or call Dogs SA and see if there is someone who oversees the juniors. Most of the juniors, dare I say, are as pro or more so than some of the seasoned showies... They are really enthusiastic and most of them love to try different sizes, types etc.

Are paid handlers allowed in ANKC? If so, why isn't it a big thing like in America? Do you get breeds where pro handlers are very common in Aussie? Like Dobes in AKC

In NZKC

19.5 Professional Handlers

19.5.1 Save with the express permission of the Executive Council (which will be given in the most

exceptional circumstances only) no person shall pay, or otherwise remunerate any other

person for handling any dog in the judging ring at a Championship Show or Championship

Obedience Test.

• 2 weeks later...

I know a lovely Junior handler that won SA state finals and went to compete Nationally in WA that may be able to handle if your interested I can pass you details

This young girl handled our Finnish Lapphund as her swap dog in the Final and I would give her another dog to show without hesitation ???? A great young handler who also makes it FUN for the dog!

Unfortunately this didn't work out. Only a week to the show and I'm going to be theone tripping all over her dog lol

You won't be the first or the last person to do that... I tripped over the dog I was handling at WA Puppy of the Year final once! And I claim to know what I am doing ROFL.

Just aim to have fun and you will be fine :)

I am really sorry it didnt work out :( if I hear anything I will def let you know...

As said above, dont stress too much we have all been there...I slipped lost my shoe in Best in Show line up with my shepherd....I also took 2 seperate dives into mud under the same judge...its all fun!! dont stress too much :) and gooooodluck

Unfortunately this didn't work out. Only a week to the show and I'm going to be theone tripping all over her dog lol

Try not too worry as everyone has said.

My Horror is still kissing judges and stewards. Now that's embarrassing.

I showed my friend's puppy at a Speciality Show. It was her 2nd time in the ring.

She decided it was too hot ( which it was). Lay on her back and wanted tummy tickles.

I have presented the collar of one dog to the the judge. Dog had taken itself back to the crate.

All laughed away.

:)

LOL we have all had our off days...once I went into the ring with one of my bitches, idiot OH of the time was holding my older bitch for next class but one in assembly. I was doing the triangle, concentrating on the dog and the judge, suddenly there was a murmur around ringside and the steward started advancing on me at a rapid pace.

I came to a stand in front of the judge wondering WTF and the steward lunged past me and popped back up holding my older bitch who had escaped OH and had neatly followed me around the triangle!

I can't remember what the judge said, she was laughing so hard. Something about a new angle on double handling....I wanted to shrink into the grass, these days I can laugh about it though!

Firstly not sure about SA but here in QLD Juniors are not allowed to handle dogs under 12months of age and secondly if it was my dog I would not let a junior handle an inexperienced dog as this would be asking for trouble for the dog, juniors need to have reasonably stable/experienced dog for theri own benefit.

Now I had not put a foot in a show ring for 30years until 18months ago when not only did I come back with a completely different breed but was mentored by my dogs breeder encouraged and by the 4th show felt like I have never been away although to others watching they probably will have a great laugh reading this :D However I managed to title my dog inunder 12 months when she was 16months old and we have had much success in both breed, class in group etc.

So just go for it even if you just do open shows until you get your confidence and puppy is also starting to settle into show routine :) remember no matter what it is in life we all had to take that initial first step and for the most part we have succeeded to get where we are now.

There is show training at SACA, at Two Wells & somewhere south that is advertised in the monthly canine journal. They are at night & weekly. May help.

For the few minutes that your dog is in the ring you may as well do it yourself really.

Watch the others & ask questions from experienced exhibitors. They are usually most helpful.

There is show training at SACA, at Two Wells & somewhere south that is advertised in the monthly canine journal. They are at night & weekly. May help.

For the few minutes that your dog is in the ring you may as well do it yourself really.

Watch the others & ask questions from experienced exhibitors. They are usually most helpful.

That's a very good point about asking exhibitors.

The other suggestion I got told was to let the steward & judge know that you are a novice.

I have been made to feel fine doing that.

Confidence does return.

:)

Firstly not sure about SA but here in QLD Juniors are not allowed to handle dogs under 12months of age and secondly if it was my dog I would not let a junior handle an inexperienced dog as this would be asking for trouble for the dog, juniors need to have reasonably stable/experienced dog for theri own benefit.

Juniors are allowed to handle any age dog in breed classes in WA but cannot handle a dog under 12 months of age for Junior handler classes. Given that many of the older Juniors are better handlers than a lot of adults there is no reason they can't handle a younger dog in normal classes.