Green Tripe Vs Herbivore Poo

Kirislin

I've heard that green tripe is wonderful food for dogs, but it's hard to get, and if you can get it, it's quite expensive. My dogs have free access to horse poo though, and they eat it alot, which grosses some people out, but not me, unless they bring it inside, I draw the line at that. I'm just wondering if that would meet the nutritional needs that they might otherwise get from green tripe. Does anyone know?

I think green tripe would provide a few additional benefits when compared to horse poo - it is an excellent source of essential fatty acids, high quality protein, prebiotics and probiotics and digestive enzymes. Horse poo would only really provide pre-digested fibre and probiotics so it would be occasionally beneficial so long as your dog is also eating a good raw diet. Green tripe would probably be better however it can be hard to find and quite expensive to have delivered.

In my opinion, one of the biggest benefits of feeding fresh green tripe is the amount of chewing* involved. I get green tripe as the whole first stomach and cut it into 1kg pieces so that they really have to work at it. Obviously horse poo has no dental benefits so that's a strike there. Also, the bacteria in poo is not going to be the same as bacteria in the stomach. I doubt a dog could digest the plant matter a horse couldn't digest so you'd also be adding a lot of bulk to their intake. Which might be okay for dogs who need to lose weight but might end up causing a loss of condition in dogs that are naturally leaner.

*And with basically zero risk of breaking teeth. Tripe is incredibly tough and it has a carpet-y texture.

Green tripe also has the benifit of the gastric enzymes still within the lining, hence it has to be green unwashed and not the white stuff....My newfies also love horse poo and catle patties and like you i just let them enjoy it

Edited by newfsie

Maybe my guys are getting something out of the roo poo they eat (besides worms)

Of course they do......

My guys seek out different types of faeces on different occasions as if they are looking for something.... sometimes they look for possum scats, on other occasions they eat kangaroo or wombat droppings, horse droppings are the favourite though as horses are not efficient at digesting.

Herbivore poo is not a substitute for green tripe, but obviously fills some nutritional gap.

Of course they do......

My guys seek out different types of faeces on different occasions as if they are looking for something.... sometimes they look for possum scats, on other occasions they eat kangaroo or wombat droppings, horse droppings are the favourite though as horses are not efficient at digesting.

Herbivore poo is not a substitute for green tripe, but obviously fills some nutritional gap.

I'm not sure eating something because it smells interesting is proof that it fills a nutritional gap. Dogs will also happily eat chocolate and not only does that not fill a nutritional gap, it can kill them.

My dogs hoover the chook bombs like lollies and enthusiastically tuck in to the alpacas poo pile - the fresher the better!! This is only a part of their overall diet which includes RAW meat, bones, offal, fruit, veggies, and eggs. Inportantly I also worm them very regularly as I enjoy living with them in my house.

Of course they do......

I'm not sure eating something because it smells interesting is proof that it fills a nutritional gap. Dogs will also happily eat chocolate and not only does that not fill a nutritional gap, it can kill them.

So why on some days will an individual pass over roo poo in favour of wombat poo? Some days one of mine hoes into duck shit, other days she'll leave it alone.

Of course they do......

So why on some days will an individual pass over roo poo in favour of wombat poo? Some days one of mine hoes into duck shit, other days she'll leave it alone.

Preference? Do you eat the same thing every day or do you sometimes feel like eating something different? Not necessarily things you need but things you enjoy at certain times.

My dogs aren't fed any real vegetable matter and none of them show any interest in any sort of poo :shrug:

I wouldn't be allowing my dogs to eat horse manure especially if i didn't now the horses & when they where wormed last .

There have been cases of dogs becoming very ill due to eating horse poo from horses wormed due to the high levels of ivermetican .

I wouldn't be allowing my dogs to eat horse manure especially if i didn't now the horses & when they where wormed last .

There have been cases of dogs becoming very ill due to eating horse poo from horses wormed due to the high levels of ivermetican .

This is very true and in the 90's I have had it happen to one of my own....good to remember. I hardly worm mine now as we do manure checks and our worm counts have been very low