Ear Issues - Anyone Had A Dog With Similar Symptoms?

pie

Hi DOL

Let me preface this by saying yes I have made a vet appointment but thought I'd see if anyone had experienced similar so I could go in armed with some knowledge. Did a search but couldn't find anything really

My 7 year old Tenterfield Terrier has no history of ear issues apart from a grass seed in one several years ago.

He started dropping his right ear and shaking his head and was really sooky on Saturday, I flushed his ear out but it didn't improve overnight so I took him to the local vet. At this stage vet & I thought something was in there, and thought it had dislodged itself before the appointment. He said there was a bit of inflammation at the base of the canal but nothing too bad. Gave him an anti inflammatory shot and sent away to wait and see. Didn't mention possibility of anything else.

Since then his mood has improved a lot but his ear has not, it comes and goes though. It seems to be triggered by him tilting his head downwards (to eat for example).

I was investigating and put pressure on the area underneath his ear behind his jaw and he cried so it is obviously sore there.

I don't think it's teeth related because he is chewing on both sides fine.

He has also been coughing a bit / eating a lot of grass, but not sure if that is related.

ETA haven't noticed any balance issues or facial paralysis

I have a gut feeling it is a middle ear infection - has anyone experienced similar in their dog? He is generally a very robust dog and has only ever been to the vet for vacc's, desexing and the grass seed before this.

Edited by pie

Ok really weird Pie, Poppy was at the vet yesterday having her ears examined. She started shaking her head over the weekend and scratching her left ear a lot. It got worse on Monday, so much so that she woke me at 4am Tues with all the head shaking and ear flapping that was going on :( The vet gave her a sedation yesterday so they could get a good look, there was some hair and a bit of sand (no surprise as she goes to the beach a lot and often face plants!) but no other foreign body. There was inflammation and a bit of infection so ears flushed out and ear drops for a few days.

The girl I share an office with said her dog has had itchy ears since the weekend too, and several of us have had really itchy eyes over the past few days too. I wonder if we're being bombarded in Perth with high pollen?