New Lens

huga

I used it a bit at the shelter today too. Usually I use the 50mm in the cattery, but sometimes it's a touch long - so it was nice having the extra bit of space with the ability to shoot wiiiiiiide open.

15481682521_8586d70852_c.jpg

15298113890_686bef89da_c.jpg

15297922309_528f924b4e_c.jpg

15298176898_4d31d3a8df_c.jpg

Everything had a basic edit. No sharpening (bar whatever Flickr does). Can't wait to use it for weddings and families :D

Lovely Huga! I ABSOLUTELY ADORE the 50mm art.... soooo soooo sharp. Much better than my nikon 50mm.

Now I want the 50mm :laugh: It's my first non Nikon lens and I'm a total convert. I think it might end up replacing my 50mm as my most used. It's so versatile!

They look incredible, your son's eyes in that first photo are mesmerising. I can't believe how much your boys are growing up too!

Oh I know. I wish they would slow down.

HAHA because now I want the 35mm :rofl: ! You won't regret getting the 50mm, it's absolutely gorgeous. But heavy - way bigger and heavier than the nikon 50mm. But so beautiful.

Oh man, that's the only down side. I got a shock at the sheer size and weight of it!

15492162385_7f3973bbb3_c.jpg

L-R: 24mm, 35mm (sigma), 50mm, 85mm and 105mm. Spot the odd one out :laugh:

what does the "art" mean. How is it different to a normal 50mm?

Ok, this is what Sigma says:

35mm F1.4 DG HSM – This Art lens provides photographers with a state-of-the-art alternative to the more conventional 50mm. 1 FLD glass lens and four SLD glass lenses ensure exceptional correction of axial chromatic and lateral aberration. . At low apertures, it can perform like a wide-angle lens; when opened up to F1.4, it will provide background bokeh and make the subject pop like a mid-range telephoto lens.

From what I can gather, it's the quality of the glass (which sounds wanky, but there you go). The bokeh is lovely. I was always going to buy the Nikon version, but it's so bloody expensive and this seems to be out performing the Nikon one.

Reviews have put it close to Zeiss lenses, which is pretty amazing considering they go for around $2000. The Sigma is around $800 and the Nikon around $2000 too.

http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Sigma-35mm-f1.4-DG-HSM-Nikon-Mount-review-the-definitive-high-speed-35mm-wide-angle-lens-for-DSLRs/Sigma-35mm-f1.4-DG-HSM-Nikon-versus-competition

Edited by huga

This is what it says on the Sigma website:

Engineered for those who see photography as a critical expression of self, our Art line offers sophisticated optical performance and abundant expressive power to deliver faithfully on your artistic vision.