Making A Hole In A Bottle Teat - Help Needed

BittyMooPeeb

Can anyone help with advice on how to make the right size hole in a bottle teat to feed a new born pup? I have gone through five already and not got one that works. If I use a plain needle the hole closes up again and no milk will come out. If I use a heated needle the hole stays open but is too big.

At the moment I am getting the pup to suck on my finger and squirting milk in the side of her mouth with a syringe because I can't get any of the bottle teats to work. Feeling frustrated!

you poor thing, I seem to recall I had this problem too but it's a long time ago now. I think I ended up poking several holes into the teat close together. Dont make the individual hole too big or you'll flood the puppy and it might go down the wrong way.

I agree with showdog.... best to use a 'premmie' nipple and baby bottle. Chemists sell the nipples.

I think my fav was Pigeon brand or something like that.

These flow slowly but consistently and seem to be the perfect shape (sort of 'flat') for pups.

I tried the old-school latex nipples years ago and wouldn't bother with them now.

You've probably got it sorted now, but the only time I needed a bottle in the middle of the night (so no options to go get a different nipple) I cut two or three tiny holes with a scalpel so instead of a hole it was a tiny cut (only a couple of mm long).

I have used 22 and 18G needles to put holes in. The other method that works very well is to chew a bit of a hole in using the corner of your tooth - tends to smoosh it/make a ragged hole that will just drip instead of gush etc. Definitely takes a couple of goes so I also have spare teats on hand when I am playing these games :o

definitely need more than one hole as the air has to get in to allow the milk to come out. Also, don't forget to release the air every so often as the pup sucks and place your hand so that the puppy can use its feet as it does on Mum.