Nsw Country Pounds That Desex Before Rehoming

Many very rural pounds don't unfortunately. From what I've seen the closer you get to major cities the more likely they are to desex before sale.

Wow I thought it was compulsory everywhere!

Not at all and two of Sydney's large pounds have only made it a requirement in the last 2 or 3 years.

The former BYB shoppers have all disappeared from those pounds, strangely enough.

Some country pounds don't even have a website or any means of advertising what dogs/cats are there and there's 100% euthanasia pretty much.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

Dubbo pound (formerly RSPCA before they pulled out and took everything, that another story) does. I don't have all the details, but I know They work with the local vets.

All animals are desexed before they are rehomed. Once the animal has been paid for they are sent off the vet and the new owner collects from there.

If the animal is already desexed, the pound only charges a minimal fee.

Well they certainly desex before rehoming. (or did when I used to work for that vet and I believe that vet still does the pound work) In that case I think the pound had their own small surgery room at the pound as he used to go out there certain days for a few hours at a time to do the pound work. Other pounds I know the animals go out to the vet for desexing. I think Nowra is the same having it's own surgery room in house and a visiting vet.

Nowra sends their animals out to various vets for treatments and desexing etc unless it's changes in the last twelve months but I'm pretty sure they still send them out. I still regularly see their van doing the vet run of a morning...when I adopted my two kittens they asked me which vet I would prefer to do the desexing and I picked them up direct from the vet, even as a volunteer I was not allowed to take them to they vet for desexing as the rules were you could not have your new pet till it was desexed.

Nowra has a treatment room, where they vaccinate and microchip and worse when they have to. But vets never used to visit, call-out fees may have been the reason.

Canberra RSPCA has in-house vets and the public can take their pets in for treatments and desexing etc which I think is used to subsidise the animals they have in care and some of the rescue groups used to provide desexing vouchers with adoptive pets to take them there to be desexed. Hopefully now they have to be desexed before the rescue groups send them to their new homes.

Edited by Flippy Dog

I think there are issues in country pounds in other states too.

Last night I was on a Facebook page for a country pound and people were very upset that someone had proposed the pound desex animals. They said that it cost too much to buy them if they'd had vet work done. This particular pound doesn't work with rescue.

There is little funding for country pounds sadly which doesn't help at all. It's great that some are on the Urgent part of DOL and it really helps the dogs get rescued which ensures they'll have their vet work done and hopefully be rehomed responsibly.

I still mourn the 1 yr old dog euthanased at a country pound last year because it had an ear infection and the council doesn't pay for medication.

The local country pound in my area does not desex the dogs before they are re- homed . They are free to good homes .

This is country NSW & town has a population of approximately 12000 .

With country pounds some desex and some don't . Just like some work with rescue and some do not . It really can depend on the mindset of the local community and their ideals on animal welfare. They are the ones to bring about positive change .

Edited by cryptic

Cryptic and I live in adjacent rural shires. My shire operates a Pound but there is no presence online or otherwise. No ads for dogs or cats that are impounded so I've no idea what they do with them as there is also no vet in the town. I suspect the animals are shot.

The adjacent shire has a volunteer presence to give away certain dogs from the pound but there's no de-sexing required. In fact it's outrageous to even mention it in the country apparently because it's so common to keep your dogs and cats entire and just allow them to breed whenever they choose. It's one reason there are so many working dog mixes and pigging dog mixes in pounds that just never make it out. Some are killed on arrival in some pounds from what I've been told.

I was on the friends of pound page so I know the discussion in question. I also know that in that particular shire, there is one of the highest rates of BYBs in regional areas - most particularly for the pet shop trade AND pigging dogs. These BYBs will sell pups under eight weeks, without having had them chipped or vaccinated because they don't care. They also think that country pounds should give away all the dogs instead of attaching a fee to their sale. It's "better than the dog being destroyed". Apparently.

Whenever the issues are raised locally, and they are done so on facebook quite often, the ones in favour of vet work are shouted down and basically banned from the pages. We are seen as "do gooders" who are "interfering" with people's rights to do whatever they want with "their" dogs. It's as if we have stepped back into the 1950's in some rural areas. I came from an urban environment and then from a semi-rural one...with a no-kill shelter background and lots of experience with the issues surrounding BYBs and dumping rates. But it's impossible to effect change here. It's a closed shop. Everyone seems to think that "rescue" is getting a dog out alive, for free, and entire. Everyone seems to think that once the dog leaves the pound it's life has been "saved" so therefore it's the end of the story. I have no way of putting into words that these folks can understand that "rescue" is nothing of the sort...that rescue's aim is to stop the cycle not continue it. But I'm just an outsider, a do-gooder, a person who needs to "get a life" apparently. I shouldn't concern myself over homeless dogs that end up getting out of the pound only to end up being used for breeding...because hey at least the dog wasn't killed. Yep. Really.

• 2 weeks later...