Horses At The Dog Park/beach?

Steph M

Today we went for our daily walk to the off lead dog beach and attached off lead park.

There's a path that runs through which bikes tear up and down, so we mostly stick to beach or grass, but today there were a couple riding their horses through.

My dogs have never seen horses so I called them to me and had them in a stay while they passed.

I commented to mum that seemed a little silly, given we are in suburban Melbourne and I don't imagine many dogs have met horses before, the potential for disaster seemed pretty high to me.

She seemed to think I was the one being silly and that its no big deal.

It didn't really bother me as mine are pretty easy going, and I appreciate exposing them to new things and practicing new distractions, but I do think not every dog would shrug it off and one or the other could easily be hurt.

I do respect though that there's not a lot of places to go with horses around here, but I'd think it it were me I'd go off-peak, so to speak.

Just wondering what everyone else's thoughts are.

Also Gus ate a huge mouthful of horse poo before I noticed and before he got in the car....what a grub...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogs are expected to be fluffy stuffed toys these days - most people it doesn't even occur to them that a dog may chase or attack a horse and are horrified at the thought of such a 'dangerous' dog being at the dog park.

People don't understand that dogs are predators.

Our legislation reflects this. In NSW if one of the dogs chased a horse at the dog park and the owner reported it your dog could be declared menacing or dangerous.

I agree with you that it's madness to ride horses (prey animal) in a dog park.

You'd probably find that the horses would be fine with the dogs if they did start to chase. We used to turn the horses at any charging/barking dogs and 99.9% of the time the dogs would stop in their tracks. We'd only turn the horses toward the dogs so that they could see what was making the noise.

I can't see and issue with it really, most horsey people are familiar around dogs too (most have both)

Edited to add: I read it as the horses were just going through the track to get to/from the beach?? I don't think I'd ride in an off lead park where there were loads of dogs. That might be a bit too busy but if that were the only way to the beach then maybe - it would depend on my horse (had some crazy ones in the past lol)

Edited by Justrace

We have a pony club that is at the local off-lead park near my house, and we are in the suburbs. I would think if you were going to let your dog off-lead, it should pretty reliably recall even if it sees something strange like a horse. Otherwise what happens if an animal like a kangaroo goes past as a lot of dogs will chase them?

It is interesting when I read horse forums, to see how different their opinions are regarding off-lead dogs.

Unless it was one of those tiny fenced dog parks then you have to share the space with other people. The beaches aren't dedicated dog beaches! Horses aren't allowed on all beaches either so perhaps yours is one of the ones that horses are allowed on.

Don't let your dog eat horse poo though, especially if you have a ivermectin sensitive breed. Horse wormer can contain this and can be in the poo.

If it is a public area why are the horse people allowed to leave the poo where it falls :confused: I understand the volume is different but is that a reasonable excuse? Apart from that I really don't have a problem sharing areas but think it could be quite dangerous for horse, rider and dogs?

What are the rules about disposing of horse poop in suburban areas and beaches? I have often wondered considering dog owners can be fined for not cleaning up.

I am not sure if there are any council rules regarding horse poo. But the difference between Horse Poo & Dog Poo, is that horses are herbivors, so there is not much else in horse poo except grass. It is also easy to see, so less likely to step in it compared to dog poo. I don't find horse poo offensive, like dog poo :) Not saying there shouldn't be any rules though.

My spin on seeing horses and horse poo in suburban areas including nearby adjoining off leash dog areas...

Nearby residents squeal with excitement when they see poo, they rush over and collect it for their garden. If not, it dries, it blows away looking much like uncaught lawn clippings.

Dog owners learn how reliable their recall is and if it falls short, they rethink their training before going to said off leash area next time... otherwise their dog may get kicked and killed. Horses are quite right to defend themselves from attacking dogs and will do so if they feel threatened.

The horses and riders are at little risk of the dogs. The dogs will not injure the horse, because if it tries to bite it will get kicked, simple.

The only time a dog poses a risk to a horse and rider is if the dog scares the horse and in turn the rider comes off and the horse runs away. A runaway horse when out of the paddock is a big problem if they can't be caught. Riders know what their horses are like with dogs and are prepared or take that calculated risk. Yes, we turn the horse on the dog so the horse knows what's coming and can deal with it if it has to.

I also find (and I'm not sure if it is still this way but it certainly used to be) that horse owners/riders are happier to take calculated risk that many dog owners... or certainly DOL forum type dog owners anyway. Their risk, their choice so long as it does not immediately affect anyone else.

So, all this said, why should the horses limit their riding areas because of the dogs? Correct, there are so few places where horses are allowed now in suburbia, that if you have not got a float then you are almost bound to ride within your paddock confines.

Is it silly to ride around suburbia? Maybe. But who cares what other people do and how they get their enjoyment. I don't even see it worthy of even forming a judgement on... but that's just me. I think we all need to smile and relax a bit more :)

Edited by Starkehre

People would be making a grave mistake if they think that dogs pose a risk to horses and never the other way around.

I've had the "pleasure" of owning two horses who would happily kill a dog and one who, despite my repeated warnings to a dog's owner and signs that all dogs must be on leash, gave it a damn good try.

A good kick in the head can be lethal. A horse that will grab a dog in its mouth (as one of mine would cheerfully do) and shake it? Ditto. 1,000+ kg of pissed off horse channelling it's protective instinct is a serious threat to even the largest of dogs. Mares in particular can be real dog haters.

Never a good combination IMO when the animals are strangers to each other and frankly not a great combination even then. Accidents happen.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

People would be making a grave mistake if they think that dogs pose a risk to horses and never the other way around.

I've had the "pleasure" of owning two horses who would happily kill a dog and one who, despite my repeated warnings to a dog's owner and signs that all dogs must be on leash, gave it a damn good try.

A good kick in the head can be lethal. A horse that will grab a dog in its mouth (as one of mine would cheerfully do) and shake it? Ditto.

Never a good combination IMO when the animals are strangers to each other and frankly not a great combination even then. Accidents happen.

I had a horse who would quite happily, and with out warning or provocation strike out at a dog trotting along side while we were out. Luckily he never connected.

A good kick in the head can be lethal. A horse that will grab a dog in its mouth (as one of mine would cheerfully do) and shake it? Ditto.

I had a horse who would quite happily, and with out warning or provocation strike out at a dog trotting along side while we were out. Luckily he never connected.

I know two horse owners whose horses have seriously injured their own dogs. Running under hooves is never pretty and the other was a kick in the head.

If I were to come across a horse & rider while at the beach, I would put my dogs on a leash...simple. I think riders have just as much right to be on the beach as dogs & anyone who thinks their dog might be at risk....just slip it back on the lead till the horse has gone.

If I were to come across a horse & rider while at the beach, I would put my dogs on a leash...simple. I think riders have just as much right to be on the beach as dogs & anyone who thinks their dog might be at risk....just slip it back on the lead till the horse has gone.

Ditto. Leash up and alter course to avoid. The last thing you want to be responsible for is a riderless horse ending up in traffic. Or the death of your own dog.

Ditto. Leash up and alter course to avoid. The last thing you want to be responsible for is a riderless horse ending up in traffic.

Ditto for me too. I see it as being no different to a horse and rider on the road. We slow down and pass quietly with wide berth so putting the dog on a lead until they pass seems logical. It's to do with the safety of ALL: dogs, humans and horses.

I also know that Zeus and Kirah both love to chase horses because I walk past a paddock every so often and if the horses are just grazing it's all fine, but if they start moving Zeus especially barks and lunges at them and whines.

I have both.

If I see a horse, I leash up. Horse poo is not like dog poo on the potential zoonotic issues and bacteria etc.

I have seen horses injured by dogs, huge tears in shoulders and hindquarters and one had a large powerfull dog grab onto it's throat which resulted in nerve damage and paralysis of half its face.

If a dog is hassling me will not or is not called off, I charge it, turn the horse and chase, simple. Too much damage can be inflicted by especially large dogs. My mare would back up and kick it before it got too close, my other would just stand there going what the??

I would look up the rules regarding what can be at the offlead beach. Even so horses are permitted to be ridden along roads etc, they don't have to stick to specific areas except for ares stated ie, no livestock on freeways/highways etc or beaches with specific rulings. For example horsess are not allowed on our foreshore beaches but can be ridden at all the others

Edited by OSoSwift

I've come across horses many times in our forest adventures.

We're both allowed to be there.

A lot of the horse riders have had good control of their horses.

But off the top of my head I can think of a good 3 occasions that the horses were really scared of my dog.

Once was in the forest when I was out for a training run.. We spotted them as we turned a corner I stopped and held my dog, to let them pass, they were very friendly, but the horse was unsure.. maybe of the dog, maybe of the scooter..

I finished a training run in another part of the forest and 2 ladies rocked up with their horses.. Esky was in the cage on the back of my Hilux, and the horses were really really scared of her.. The riders thought it may have been because she was eye level with them.. weird.

3rd time was more recently with both dogs.. Had fritz offlead Esky on.. Saw the horse, got Fritz on lead and went to stand well off the trail to let them pass. The horse would not move.. it took the guy like 15 minutes of coaxing to get him going again.. Lucky my guys are used to most livestock now, I remember the first time Esky saw a horse, the reaction was priceless

If a dog is hassling me will not or is not called off, I charge it, turn the horse and chase, simple. Too much damage can be inflicted by especially large dogs. My mare would back up and kick it before it got too close, my other would just stand there going what the??

I had one who would kick and one who really meant business. If you dropped the reins, she'd turn on the dog like a cutting horse, flatten her ears, bare her teeth and go in for the grab. I let her do it once with a dog that was persistently rushing a group of us (in a designated equestrian area) with an owner who refused to call the dog off. Owner and dog beat a hasty retreat after that. Always handy to have a dog hater in your riding group. She was utterly fearless.