Dogs Who Rip Stuffing Out

RiverStar-Aura

My toy destroyer did it to get the squeakers out!

Yes my Tara can get any squeaker out in minutes. I also buy big bags of stuffed toys from the op shops but have to cut the chewable eyes out of some & sew up the holes. I feel so cruel doing that to them

Its ok & normal to kill stuffed toys but its a problem when they kill beds & sofas. I recall my sister one time phoning me in tears. She had an row with her husband & took herself & german shepherd off to our parents house with them being overseas & her having a key. Went to bed leaving dog downstairs & came down to find he had completely shredded a whole velvet chesterfield sofa that was really expensive :eek:

Think I was sick, laughed like crazy person :eek:

Pickles eats everything! Doors, skirting boards, beds, stuffed toys, rubber toys, rope toys... everything! Funnily enough, she hasn't eaten my bed or the couches for some reason... could be because she likes lying around on them herself?

The poo patrol here is an adventure into "what the hell whas that?" land... lol!

Luckily so far she has managed to pass everything that has gone down her throat... *sigh*

T.

Harry, the greyhound, won't pull out the stuffing until a hole develops in the toy, then it's fair game. He can get his needle nose into the tiniest hole, and then there's stuffing everywhere.

Whitney tends to suck them more, but sometimes gets excited and de-stuffs.

It drives my husband insane!! He gets so angry when I get spud stuffing toys ( don’t know why, it’s not as if he cleans up the mess lol) I have bought him some stuffingless toys which he has decided are just no fun so I will continue buying him $2.00 ones from the reject shop so he can rip the stuffing out to his heart’s content.

He did destroy our puppy’s favourite sleeping toy the other day though, she was most distressed and keeps dragging the material around with her lol

Bindi has two favourite toys, both now hardly recognisable. They are two stuffed birds that I got from Clean Run years ago & when the dog bit on them they would whistle. she loves them so much that if I bury them in the bottom of the toy basket, she will rip every tow out till she finds them. They are now almost completely destuffed. However, silly me didn't pay much attention to this till I picked up a battery off the floor. So then I had to go look for all the parts to whatever it was that made them whistle :( Every time I pick the grotty things up I am tempted to put them in the bin, but she loves them so much, I think she would go searching for them if they disappeared. :(

Don't ever get a Greyhound, they live to kill stuffies!

Pretty much.

Throw in a naughty whippet and our house always has toy stuffing scattered around from their latest kill. We buy cheap dog toys and I re-stuff/stitch them up again if the murder hasn't been too severe but generally speaking, they fully kill at least two or three toys a week.

Our dog Ares is the resident toy destroyer. We will start off with a brand new toy, and suddenly the legs and arms will be gone, the eyes missing, and if left long enough you will come down and find just an eyeless head sitting on the kitchen floor.

I can always walk through our backyard and pick out what toy is in what poo :laugh:

We now have two toy boxes. The broken toy box where all the half-eaten toys go, and the 'good' toy box where new toys are kept and only let out under direct supervision.

If I buy stuffed toys- I expect them to stay that way . If a dog rips/chews , they don't get them anymore. :)

Don is using toys which have had two owners before him!'

I have given up using pillows /stuffed bedding because of snowstorms :(

I expect a lot of things from my two but it never happens :laugh:

Picking up some stuffing doesn't really take much time out of my busy schedule and the fun she has is priceless anyway.

Now if Stan could just leave the whitegoods and the furniture alone I'd be happy.

If I buy stuffed toys- I expect them to stay that way . If a dog rips/chews , they don't get them anymore. :)

Persephone, may I ask what you use for bedding instead? Obie and Flipp both shred beds as well as soft toys and a few lounges now, I'd love to use something else for bedding that's soft and snugly for Obie being a whippet. Flipp has more chubby to her so is happy with old blankets on the old lounge.

I don't mind picking up disembowelled toys but bedding every day is driving me nuts. I'm the neighbour that has been known to vacuum the backyard to clean up the snowstorms!

Love this thread. Great to know I am not alone. (Snowstorms, poo surprise and buying toys just so they can be "deaded").

Greyhound kills the squeekers, Collie 1 takes the eyes out, Collie 2 takes the stuffing out. Toys really don't stand a chance.

Thanks for the laugh everyone.

Persephone, may I ask what you use for bedding instead? Obie and Flipp both shred beds as well as soft toys and a few lounges now, I'd love to use something else for bedding that's soft and snugly for Obie being a whippet. Flipp has more chubby to her so is happy with old blankets on the old lounge.

I don't mind picking up disembowelled toys but bedding every day is driving me nuts. I'm the neighbour that has been known to vacuum the backyard to clean up the snowstorms!

I just use opshop blankets , both wool and that polar fleece I guess your boy needs something soft for his bony self - what about a trampoline bed with a blanket "nest" ?

I just use opshop blankets , both wool and that polar fleece I guess your boy needs something soft for his bony self - what about a trampoline bed with a blanket "nest" ?

Thanks Persephone, hmmm, I have to fit it in his crate for when I'm at work but maybe I can pick up some old lightweight doona style blankets at the op shop for him, thanks for the ideas. I may have to simply continue picking up stuffing, we've been using the Costco beds, huge and the last three were only $34 each for a rotti size crate but haven't seen them for a while now at Costco :( only smaller and dearer.

Thanks Persephone, hmmm, I have to fit it in his crate for when I'm at work but maybe I can pick up some old lightweight doona style blankets at the op shop for him, thanks for the ideas. I may have to simply continue picking up stuffing, we've been using the Costco beds, huge and the last three were only $34 each for a rotti size crate but haven't seen them for a while now at Costco :( only smaller and dearer.

I've had my fair share of bed shredders (including the infamous Douginator) and for crates, I've found the K9+ crate mats to be pretty good. Chuck one or two of those in to pad the bottom, throw in a couple of blankets (I get the coral fleece blankets from Kmart) and it's warm/soft enough for hound bums.

What I noticed when dealing with Doug was that there was actually pretty minimal chewing involved in his bed killing- he'd just dig furiously at the bed until it gave up its precious stuffing. So.. dig proofing the upper layer will usually put a stop to it. For soft beds, I covered them with a Snooza Durobed cover; for mats, you could do the same job with shadecloth and a decent sewing machine.