How Spoilt Are Your Dogs?

Dame Aussie

Ok maybe he is a bit spoilt when he's allowed to pick a treat from the cupboard. I tell him to sit and then I open the cupboard door and offer him a few bags to pick from, when he gets his ear or greenie or whatever he chose he does this happy gallop into his chewing room (formerly known as the sewing room). He hops on his cushion and makes like he won the jackpot. Makes me laugh every time.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hankodie

I'd love my dogs lives too! They don't have a worry in the world aside from the neighbour's roaming cat and trying to figure out where that mysterious farting noise came from (hint: it came from your butt Hank).

We went for our usual drive to the shop to get the Sunday paper. Because it was warm I bought a raspberry slushie for myself. As I was turning out of the shops I heard suspicious licking beside me. Stussy quenched her thirst on my slushie about five times on the way home and I let her. I figured she already germed the top with the first lick anyway.

Pretty much so some people say :shrug:

They can't sleep on my bed as I have an allergy/rash at present. Remy my 12 year old is on the lounge that is covered with a mink blanket because leather is cold. Just put a coat on him & thrown on my hello kitty birthday present blanket because its softer than the huge pile of other blankets & quilts I have for them.

When they get clipped which I do myself they have dog chocolate treats & always run to the fridge for them as soon as have finished & put them down from the table.

Food is never served too cold. They get brushed most days. While I am home they can go wherever they want including on the kitchen table, so hygienic :laugh:

Not mad about discipline but they do obey me when I dish out the orders, having a few I have to keep order. I prefer to think of it all as kind rather than spoilt.

People have varying views on what is normal & what is spoilt.

I don't like the term spoilt- I just take care of my dog the best I can. He's on a home cooked diet because of his allergies, he sleeps on my bed and I take care to exercise him every day. Soon as anything is off I scoot him off to the vet. I'm mindful of his well being/ need to socialize with his doggy friends. Oh and I spent a few months at dog grooming school so I could groom him myself. May sound extreme to others, but worth it to me.

I dont consider mine spoilt. They sleep where they want, be it on or in the bed or on the sofas. If it's the sofas Mummy comes and tucks them in, 'cause they boys dont know how to wriggle under the blankets like the girls can. They eat good healthy food. They get lots of love and attention, but they still live within my rules, apart from counter surfing. (insert Mr Rollyeyes here)

I too would say define spoilt.

I'm sure other people think my two are spoilt - but they are part of my family and I love them, so i don't think I could take less good care of them without it hurting me :o

I do find it quite amusing that their meals are all planned and weighed, no preservatives, added supplements etc etc while the human diets are less than ideal. I would never consider giving the pups the big mac that they are eyeing off so beseechingly... but think nothing of us humans eating it :laugh: priorities I guess :p

Whole Whiting, a couple of small fresh green lipped mussels, and a lamb tongue for tea last night :laugh:

Is my dog spoilt? Probably, but I really enjoy sourcing good raw foods for him and love watching him enjoy crunching them down. Later in the evening he jumped up on my bed while I was reading and he got a nice tummy tickle before he took himself off to bed. :D

To me, this is what having a dog is all about :)

Ok maybe he is a bit spoilt when he's allowed to pick a treat from the cupboard. I tell him to sit and then I open the cupboard door and offer him a few bags to pick from, when he gets his ear or greenie or whatever he chose he does this happy gallop into his chewing room (formerly known as the sewing room). He hops on his cushion and makes like he won the jackpot. Makes me laugh every time.

That's great :thumbsup:

We do exactly the same thing hankdog. We go to the " lolly cupboard" after dinner every night & we get out a choice of 3 or 4 treats & Sonny gets first choice of which one he'd like. Then Stella gets to choose which one she'd like. Then off they trot both happy as larks to the loungeroom to lay down & devour it.

So funny when they deciding which one. Makes me laugh. They smell each one first. Then it's like hmmm which one will I have.

They have a little think about it first. Then finally take the one they want. LOL. The favourite desert atm is 1 strawberry & a couple of blueberries dipped in plain yoghurt. I put it on a saucer for them. They get so excited. Stella gets really vocal. Shes always been a little chatterbox :)

Spoilt for me = given the best care and accessories I can possibly give (within reason). I don't dress them up or carry them around but they eat super premium kibble, have cozy beds, get lots of love and affection and are the centre of my universe

That is pretty much me to a T. As OH never wanted a dog ( too busy, not enough time, too many pets already ), our two mean the world to me. And he adores them to the moon and back.

I don't take them for granted, given dogs only live such a short time.

Yes I'm not over the top with my guys. But I spend most of everyday with them & I make sure having FUN together is at the top of our to do list. We dont have them around very long at all in the scheme of things. They both know they are my EVERYTHING. I adore them to bits.

They get the very best premium food.The very best of medical care. Always tucked up at night dry & warm. Never let suffer the heat. They have the aircon on for them. I protect them from harm & try to enhance their individual characters. All in all I make sure they want for nothing as they always give me 1000% no matter what so Its the very least I can do really :)

Edited by BC Crazy

I was reading through thinking that I don't think mine are particularly spoilt when I had to stop what I was doing so Quinn could put her paws on my shoulders and give my face a good lick all over. She does this every evening when I first sit down on the couch and I let her just because she seems to think it's very important that my face is suitably dog smelling. Maybe she is slightly spoilt :o

Both my girls are spoilt. I don't even call them dogs. They are my "girls" :laugh: :laugh:

During the day when I'm at work they sleep outside on an expensive daybed & chase butterflies in the garden. Sometimes they help themselves to fresh fruit & vegetables from my garden.

When I'm home they are fussed over & lay wherever they please including my lap when I sit down.

They have been known to have prawns for dinner :)

My girl is spoilt (but she is very very very good girl) too!

We prepare/cook different food for her on weekend such as meat ball, salmon, chicken, lamb, duck, beef and etc. (During the weekdays she has the premium dry food)

Heaps of toys (more than 20), a small closet for her harness and clothes and body massage every night when I'm home.

Lastly she sleep with us on our bed.

We do exactly the same thing hankdog. We go to the " lolly cupboard" after dinner every night & we get out a choice of 3 or 4 treats & Sonny gets first choice of which one he'd like. Then Stella gets to choose which one she'd like. Then off they trot both happy as larks to the loungeroom to lay down & devour it.

So funny when they deciding which one. Makes me laugh. They smell each one first. Then it's like hmmm which one will I have.

They have a little think about it first. Then finally take the one they want. LOL. The favourite desert atm is 1 strawberry & a couple of blueberries dipped in plain yoghurt. I put it on a saucer for them. They get so excited. Stella gets really vocal. Shes always been a little chatterbox :)

Stan's packed his bags and he's on his way up to Aunty BC's place :D

I spoilt the crap out of Penny because she was never going to live forever and coming from a cage in a horrible puppy farm, she got everything she wanted and I basically put my life on hold to make hers worthwhile. I don't regret it for a second, Cavaliers are a companion breed and she was so happy to be included in a life that wasn't her prior. I went into debt due to her constant vet visits and heart meds, but I would have paid anything to have her here today :(

Scooter is a bit spoiled at the moment since Penny died as my heart is totally crushed and I miss her so much. He is not a cuddly cliche toy dog though, so I don't think he even *could* be spoilt haha. He hates jackets (he needs one when it's freezing cold on a walk) and has never liked being picked up or cuddled. He walks on a normal lead and collar, eats normal food, but never wants for anything.