What Food Can Your Dog Not Resist?

Loving my Oldies

Oh gosh, you are really having a hard time right now. All the best for a better afternoon and tomorrow.

We are still battling, Yonjuro. I went back to the vet in desperation this morning :(, because I can't seem to get him to eat something more than once or twice. He will really hoe into something (relatively) and I think we've cracked it and then next time I give it to him he won't touch it.

I saw Trinabean's thread about Natural Balance so will be investigating that.

At least his sty is healing quickly with hot compresses several times a day and eye ointment. Poor boy.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what Amber used to do. So I feel your pain as it really stressed me out. Think I went through every food available.

Hard to know what to suggest as you don't have a diagnosis. I used a kids drink when Amber was really poorly and still use it now if she decides she doesn't want to eat. It is called Pediasure and is available at Chemists Warehouse.

Natures Gift kibble is very smelly. Smells sort of like vegemite. Have you tried that one?

I have to be very careful with what I give him, JulesP. I don't give him anything that I haven't checked with vet first.

I'm going to check up on Trinabean's link (Natural Balance) and I will have a look at Pediasure ingredients.

The photo below is the performance I witness regularly. The food is tuna and he lay with his head turned away, occasionally turning to look at Bunter who was hovering, for about 10 minutes. He eventually got up and walked away and Bunter, of course, wolfed it down.

post-1031-0-62257500-1415016119_thumb.jpg

post-1031-0-37487900-1415016168_thumb.jpg

This must all be driving you crazy!

I used to work with a lady who got up in the middle of the night to go wees. She walked up the hallway in the dark and being quite sleepy crashed head first into a standing clock in the hallway. She did her business and went back to bed not thinking anything more about it. The next day she woke and her face was a purple, swollen, distorted mess. Apparently she had fractured her eye socket and cheek bone walking into the clock in the dark and didn't even know it! For that very reason I have nothing in my hallway (not even any pics) and I walk with my hands out in front of me. This hands out technique is how I smashed my wrist when I fell down the stairs in the dark taking a puppy out for a late night pee. So now we also have a couple of those kids lights you put in power points throughout the house. Piddling in the dark is a dangerous activity!

What an awful story, LG :cry: . Poor lady and poor you. At least I haven't fallen over yet.

I am feeling pretty stoked at the moment, as had some success today. After Danny wouldn't eat ANYTHING this morning, I followed up on Trinabean's post in Health Nutrition sub forum and this is what I posted there.

.......................................................................................

Trinabean is very lucky that she lives on the other side of the country from me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: otherwise, I'd be on her doorstep ready to plant a big fat kiss on her nose.

I phoned Asquith Vets on Pacific Highway (near Hornsby) to check they stocked Natural Balance and I collected a sample this afternoon. The sample is a fair sized package so I will be able to see over the next few days how Danny tolerates it and whether he keeps eating it.

Danny has now eaten the first decent sized meal in days. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:; however, I am fully expecting him to do the usual trick of refusing it the next time I give it to him :( .

I had to hold a kibble piece in his mouth to get him started - of course the other dogs were wolfing it down, but I gave them little pieces by hand otherwise they'd have scoffed the lot. I held his mouth closed and when I released it, he just spat the kibble out. Then, halleluljah, he ate it. I then gave him a small bowl and he ate happily.

And then, he raced around the house almost back to his old self. I guess he was no longer starving and his tummy and gut are settling down with all the medications.

Everything crossed tonight will see the same behaviour.

Great news there DDD, I hope things continue to improve :thumbsup:

If he does his usual trick of turning up his nose at something he has previously eaten, you will hear my shrieks of frustration, Yonjuro.

On the other hand, if he loves it again, you can deputise for me and plant one on Trinabean :laugh: :laugh:

Great news there DDD, I hope things continue to improve :thumbsup:

If he does his usual trick of turning up his nose at something he has previously eaten, you will hear my shrieks of frustration, Yonjuro.

On the other hand, if he loves it again, you can deputise for me and plant one on Trinabean :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

All fingers, toes and paws crossed that he continues to like it!!

One trick I used to use with fussy eaters on a medical diet (with my vet's approval) was to make a gravy by blending a teaspoon of a forbidden food that they loved in a cup of hot water. I would pour this over their bowl of medical diet and let it cool. They would wolf it down, in fact one old girl used to be attracted so much by the smell of her dinner cooling that she would yodel for it until it was ready to eat LOL! Anything else she would turn her nose up and walk away...

ETA..Danny is a small dog, you could use quarter teaspoon of his favourite forbidden rubbish with a half-cup of hot water I should think. Anyway, something else to try. smile.gif

Edited by RuralPug

RuralPug, if I could just find a favourite forbidden food :cry: . I've even mixed cat food in with the i/d and Eukanuba Intestinal canned foods. He ate it, but with dire results ... too rich.

The things that really gets me is that I have never encouraged any of my dogs to be fussy. Sure if they are recovering from years of neglect and untreated illnesses (I'm referring to rescue/foster dogs I've had over the years), you go out of your way to find something they like. But with my own dogs if they are well and happy, if they don't eat what I give them at one meal, I don't go running off to find something they will eat. They'll get the left meal at the next mealtime LOL.

But with this little guy, I reckon he has had a bit of an upset tummy for quite a while, because I'd take him to the vet saying he was down in the dumps. He would be diagnosed with a sore neck or sore back and medication would see him right again.

Until a few months ago when all this started. I think it has been there for a long time, just undiagnosed. Makes me feel so awful for him because nothing is worse than feeling generally off for a long time.

Anyway, to be on the safe side, I am now cooking the other dogs' meat and mixing as I have done for a long time with vegies and, if I have it, some rice. They love it!!! Danny doesn't though which makes me think he has been off-colour for a long time.

Guest crazydoglady99

We have similar problem DDD..

My girl is 14yrs old, she is very fussy - but what makes her do cartwheels today, she would refuse the next 10 times I offer!

So its a selection of foods that don't irritate, which unfortunately for her is not as exciting as she would like!

Anyway, hope the Natural Balance stays down and Danny stays happy ????????????

This must all be driving you crazy!

:cry: :cry: I give up. :banghead: :banghead: I can't even find solace in :drink: :drink: anymore as it wipes me out.

After this morning's performance, I think the only way I will stay sane is to accept that he doesn't want to eat 95% of the time, give him his medication and accept whatever happens.

Because of the demands of his medication regime, I have been getting up (sort of) at 7am and going to bed at the earliest 11pm but mostly later. I try not to sleep through the day as it doesn't matter how tired I might be, I won't sleep at night. Sometimes I am still awake at 3am and 4 am and then the alarm goes at 7am :eek: :eek:

Anyway, this morning, I simply couldn't wake up and finally staggered out when the alarm (radio) had been going for nearly an hour).

Fed all the others and tried three different dishes with Danny all of which he'd eaten yesterday. He looked at me as though I was the cruellest person in the universe. I shut all the others out on the deck and put down the three bowls of food for Danny to chose from, trying with each to get him started by putting little pieces in his mouth, which he just spat out.

I say I can't do any more, but of course I have to keep trying.

Yesterday, I even bought a couple of those plastic containers that people put mustard and tomato sauce in to see if they would work with syringing, but unfortunately, they are opaque and he was either getting nothing or too much. Does anyone have any suggestions for syringing food because the ones I've been given by SASH are inoperable or the nozzles are too narrow to draw the food through? I've been to a couple of chemists to see what sort of selection there is, but haven't seen anything yet that would work.

Maybe go to a kitchen shop and see if they have anything that is used to apply decorative icing to a cake??

One of the vet nurses suggested that, too, Yonjuro. I did buy one at the same time as I bought the ones in the photograph.

We have actually had a run with one of the containers in the photo and he ate the whole :thumbsup: :thumbsup: . It is only a fews mls as it is 1:1 food:water/chicken stock. However, he was pretty eager and was grabbing at the nozzle when I'd give him a rest, and we are ready and poised for second and third helpings through the evening.

He and I, the floor and towel do end up wearing a bit, but I am sure we will become pretty proficient as time goes by. I just hope he can keep it down. He has thrown up a few times today, but just bile, no food, which is good and bad. Bad that he is throwing up, but good that none of it has contained food. This means everything he ate yesterday has successfully passed into his stomach and has been digested.

By his refusal to eat this morning followed by a few little throw ups makes me assume he wasn't feeling very well. I guess at his age, that is to be expected let alone factoring in his gastritis.