What Food Can Your Dog Not Resist?

Loving my Oldies

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what about "beef consome" - that was one thing a gp recommended me when I had tummy upsets and didn't want to eat anything (but was ravenous). You can buy it in a tin in the soup section.

what about a bit of yogurt mixed with a tiny bit of porridge or porridge (oats) cooked in a bit of beef broth?

mashed pumpkin mixed with a bit of yogurt?

Mashed sweet potato mixed with a bit of yogurt?

does he like promite or vegemite? I sometimes mix a little bit of that in warm water to hydrate my dog (along with giving her yogurt water). She also likes the water that boiled the pasta.

If I could find what he would eat, whatever it was, I would give it to him.

Because he will sometimes have a late night snack of kibble, I put some out for him and he ate a few pieces, but I had to keep putting pieces in his mouth. He'd then eat a couple on his own and then we repeat the process.

In my other thread, Staffyluv mentioned Arrowroot biscuits. All I had in the biscuit line were Cheese flavoured rice crackers and vita wheat LOL. So that was Danny's late night snack. :eek:

Off to the vet this morning as he now has a small ulcer on his eye :( He threw up twice there and twice when we arrived home, but he was a bright as a button - buttons being relative these days.

I had to go out again and when I arrived home, I looked around for some treats and, as roast chicken was still in the fief, decided to give them some of that. I had to hand feed him, but Danny ate what could be called a meal-sized amount. :whee: :whee:

Now everything crossed that he keeps it all down. To that end, I am going to plonk myself on the couch which means he will join me and be very happy to snooze for a while :D :D

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

I have found that my dog will reluctantly trade roo jerky for smoked salmon...

but that's no help to DDD - whose dog doesn't like smoked salmon...

What about a small bit of salmon steak - the sort that you cook up for yourself - and try a little bit raw and a little bit cooked in olive oil (with cheese on top?)

My problem would be sharing that with my dog.

Yesteday at the beach she went nuts for hot chips - we had no problems with seagulls - they did not want to come anywhere near the insane barking dog...

So I had to explain to her that she was not getting any chips while she was being noisy. I look at her - deep into her eyes with the chip poised and when she yips - I eat the chip.... when she's quiet - she gets a bit of chip... didn't take very long thank Dog - there were a lot of people at the beach and her excited demanding bark is ear splitting.

But I offered her a bit of the battered fish and she said no - that's not food, the first time I offered it. Even tho she happily steals old crab bait off the beach.

One of the things that will get her to eat most anything is if I eat it first and share it with her. I do make her work for it tho - like sit over there. So she also goes very nuts for promite on toast (with margarine). Not exactly nutricious but does make a good training treat.

good luck with it DDD.

I recall trying Ziwipeak (thanks to DOLer CavsRcute) some years ago long before Danny's current situation, and I cannot remember how it was received, but as I didn't continue with it, I suppose it was their usual ho hum. But as I have to go out today, I will get a couple of cans.

You have a very good memory, DDD! :D

I recall trying Ziwipeak (thanks to DOLer CavsRcute) some years ago long before Danny's current situation, and I cannot remember how it was received, but as I didn't continue with it, I suppose it was their usual ho hum. But as I have to go out today, I will get a couple of cans.

I hadn't seen the canned food with tripe in it before, so was hoping it might be a new "taste" for him.

A CRF group I'm in say green tripe is usually the best thing for the CRF dogs, once they begin not wanting to eat, as it's stinky and rarely refused, so was hoping it might tempt Danny :)

Mrs RB - I'm a vegetarian LOL, so wouldn't be eating the boiled bones. I think it would be too fatty for Danny in any case.

There is a whole thread somewhere on Green Tripe, Raffiki, so I will head over to take a look. I recall from long long ago that mum used to make tripe in parsley sauce for dad. Just the sight was enough for me, but could probably handle it in a can :laugh:

You have a very good memory, DDD! :D

For some things, yes. LOL.

I found a section in my mum's recipe book labelled

"sammiches"

and in it was a sort of request from my dad for

brains and chutney (or some condiment)

or something like that. Mum said she didn't mind the brains but objected to the preparation of same.

I can cope when she orders crumbed brains for entrée in restaurant but I can't look at the naked ones... can't abide the texture either.

we did not find the recipe for apricot leather. the stuff I made following the Australian women's weekly recipe is very very dark - black even now. Not sure if it is edible.

And just to top it all off - she tried to make Christmas pudding in a cup last night in her brand new microwave... and I thought 3 mins would be too long but she said that's how she always does it.

and it was burnt. A crispy fruit brick... argh.

Pretty sure DDD would not eat that.

:vomit::vomit: Mrs RB. Although I do remember having crumbed brains as a child. But they were tiny pieces so probably more fried crumbs with a bit of brain LOL.

Danny has just had two reasonably large pieces of roo jerky (I gave them all some) after a morning spent looking at me as though I were the worst person in the world. I figured he wasn't feeling too well. He is now happily rolling around like a puppy. I know he is old, but this business has really aged him :cry: .

A couple of years ago, Myrtie ended up in emergency with roo jerky caught in her throat so I am a little nervous about giving it these days particularly with Danny's reflux. I watch him like a hawk for any signs of gagging.

Accordingly to the scales at the vet, he hasn't lost anymore weight, but he feels as though he has.

Yes, T. :(

He gets all excited when I get Gussy's food and I regularly put a little bit down for him which he just as regularly then sniffs, gives me the "you are horrible" look and looks as though he is going to burst into tears. He will very occasionally clean up the little bit that might be left in Gussy's bowl.