What Food Can Your Dog Not Resist?

Loving my Oldies

Scrambled eggs with cheese.

As I am a vegetarian, I will have this myself once or twice a week and always give him the bowl to lick and leave some for him. Sometimes he eats it, but only left overs. He won't eat if if especially prepared for him. Explain that. I can't. :banghead: :banghead:

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I met some fat vegan dogs at the beach last Sunday - they get a diet of mostly lentils and beans. The farts must be astonishing. But they were energetic and healthy looking (apart from a bit fat).

I haven't read the whole thread either - it's very rare that my dog won't eat everything available and a few things she's not meant to have (like sox or balloons).

She's moderately crappy at drinking enough tho so I mix yogurt and water until it's milky consistency and then put the kibble into that. She's going to eat the kibble anyway but this means she drinks enough water to go with it.

She loves sardines too. And I read somewhere you can get salmon oil which might help. And peanut paste - I can't eat that but the dog will.

She's not overly keen on raw egg. Unless it has a lot of cheese mixed in. I think she thinks it's not food. She will eat boiled egg which is funny to watch when I give it to her still in the shell.

Will your dog eat mashed pumpkin or sweet potato - that has something in it that is supposed to help. What about rice and chicken that's been boiled together? You could probably put a stick blender in and mi it to baby food consistency. And then stir some yogurt into that.

I know when some people get old - their sense of taste and smell goes bad - and everything smells horrible. Happened to my dad when he got cancer. But he still liked the smell of cooking salmon steak.

I would feed him whatever he eats, if its pizza then so be it! As long as it is not something known to be toxic feed it. If he doesn't eat it isn't going to end well, so if he eats it, feed it!

At his age with his illnesses/issues I would go with whatever works to get him to consume calories. What is he like with things like tinned tuna? something a bit smelly help?

I know of an almost 17yo Whippet who is getting frail but does rickity zoomies nearly every morning and she hasn't eaten dog food or out of a bowl for the last 5 years. If she wants it she gets it.

Thanks for all of those suggestions, Mrs RB. Will be putting all these suggestions into a document to keep with me when I go shopping.

The whole difficulty, I believe, stems from the fact that Danny has never really been food driven except for treats like cheese and dried liver. I've stopped the liver treats to get him interested in coming for a walk (don't get me wrong - I don't force him, but he loves it when we are out and we go only a short way and very slowly) because the last time I gave him some he sicked it up and it wasn't much.

He has only ever really eaten to stay alive, as I say. Some dogs live to eat - not Danny.

Is he having any issues with how solid his food may be? Can you puree it to make it easier for him to slurp down?

Could it be portion sizes even? Maybe try him on much smaller snacks throughout the day rather than set meal times like the others?

I have a food processor here that is just collecting dust stored out the back - if you'd like to try the puree option... happy to donate it to the "trying to get Danny to eat" cause.

T.

What a mine of information DOL is and populated by very caring people. :flower: Thank you.

T: Thank you for the kind offer. At one stage I was processing his food and syringing it into him and sometimes he would lap it down. Like everything else, one or twice and occasionally a third, and then he'd refuse. When I found he'd dropped to 5kg, I contemplated the syringing again and plan to start on that today. There is nothing wrong with his teeth as he will chew on a roo jerky. I've thought at times maybe he has a sore tongue, but that has been ruled out. I chop or mash most things for him.

SM: Danny sends a little kiss and he isn't much of a kisser, more of a cuddler :love:. If I thought for a moment he would eat caviar and/or smoked salmon, I'd gut the bloody fish and smoke the salmon myself :laugh: :laugh:. That would be something only a mother would do as I am a vegetarian and even before that, just the smell of smoked salmon would have me rushing to the bathroom :eek: :eek: .

B: I had Danny on Periactin for a while trying to restore his appetite. Eventually stopped because it wasn't working and he is already on so much medicaton. However, I have to go to the chemist today so will ask about that. I can crush them up and mix in water to syringe, I would imagine.

I don't think there's anything wrong with giving poor Danny whatever he wants. He's 16 (possibly) - you aren't sure how many years he has left. I'd give the old boy smoked salmon and caviar if he'd eat it and not lose a minutes sleep.

Love you Danny.

Ha ha ha, Stressmagnet. I will be trying Danny with smoked salmon on Christmas Day.

I am go to a friend's place and she just sent an email asking what I eat. She knows I am a vegetarian, but can't seem to get her head around that fish is meat LOL. Anyway, she is looking after a friend's dog for a few weeks and said that all my dogs are welcome (no I wouldn't do it to her or to the others or to me !) Anyway we were chatting and I realised that because of his medication regime, I would have to take Danny. He'll sleep the whole time anyway. So we will see if his taste buds can be tempted by smoked salmon and if he likes it, I can blame you for my blown budget :laugh:

Later LOL.

Danny has now had a hugely nutritious meal of Schmackos Marrobones Minis (had the strips in my shopping trolley, but just couldn't do it :o ) and Ingham chicken roll. He had a great time, although I had to put a piece of the Schmacko in his mouth and hold it closed for a few seconds. He then spat it out, but after a few false starts he ate about 4 cut into tiny pieces.

Naturally the others ate their offerings with gusto.

If he likes roo jerky, maybe he would also like roo steak or roo mince.

My dog does go a little bit spastic for roo... but I do cook it - she seems a bit hesitant about raw mince but she will eat it. And then she will run across the road from the park to the source of the raw mince if she hears him in his garden (ARGH).

I make a dinner casserole for her out of roo mince and veg (including sweet potato or pumpkin)...

PS I think I'd cook the fish first - but Frosty has shown a keen interest in raw oyster... so she'd probably eat raw fish too. And she sometimes mings on crabs at the beach. And I had to explain to her - but I don't think she understood - that messing with a live crab is a very bad idea.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Do you think it is possible for a dog to have a form of anorexia?

Apart from the little bit of Schmackos and pressed chicken Danny ate a few days ago, he has eaten probably what amounts to a few tablespoons of food and most of that has been thrown up including his meds. We are off to the vet again, naturally.

Chicken Nuggets -Fail

Smoked Salmon - Fail

Roast Chicken - Fail

Schmackos - Fail

Kibble (two sorts) - Fail

Yoghurt - a bit

Fancy Feast Kitten - a couple of mouthfuls (too rich, I think because that started off a chain of vomitting)

Fancy Feast Adult - Fail

Devon - Fail

Chicken and Ham Roll (human grade) - Fail