What Food Can Your Dog Not Resist?

Loving my Oldies

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some news and will try to keep a long story short (as possible LOL). Received a PM from a DOLer who hasn't posted here but has been reading. She wanted to send me some samples of dried treats which she felt sure a certain little dog would eat and if I was okay with that, she would need my address. Was I okay with that? Is the Pope Catholic --- as the saying goes.

Cut to the chase ---- treats arrived today and for the first time in ages, Danny ate like a normal dog. The treats were green tripe medallions, dried chicken and dried roo heart.

I actually had to stop because he would have eaten the lot and I didn't want to overload him.

(The other dogs had to have some as well :laugh: and, of course, they loved them too.)

The DOLer had included a brochure as well, so I immediately rang the suppliers, had a long talk about Danny's problems and will be eagerly awating the post on Monday.

Who is this DOLer whom I am going to nominate for DOLer of the Year ???

TAKE A BOW..... VALBITZ ::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just happy I could help, but kicking myself that I didn't send you more

That I don't know yet, Mrs RB, but I hope so. The Cerenia is a course of 5 injections and if he isn't over the nausea by then, my vet will call the suppliers to see if there is any leeway.

He won't eat the VIP Gourmet roll now and the first time he had that he ate a little bit and kept it down, so whether it is the memory of food making him feel ill stops him eating it a second time, I don't know either.

Roll on Monday or Tuesday :laugh:

DDD - the vet was 'tetchy'?!

I'd get a bit 'tetchy' with her next time you see her, perhaps gently remind her that she is providing a PAID service and, er... she might like to remember you can always take your annoying questions and your poor sick revenue stream of a dog elsewhere if the questions are too much for her. Perhaps next time, you have a vomit-fest, carefully collect a nice large sample and ask her to go through each chunk and mucus ball. Make sure you ask LOTS of questions.

'Tetchy' indeed.

Edited by Stressmagnet

That I don't know yet, Mrs RB, but I hope so. The Cerenia is a course of 5 injections and if he isn't over the nausea by then, my vet will call the suppliers to see if there is any leeway:

Once the 5 days is up there is a 48 hr break before you can start again due to accumulation of the drug.

Thank you, Rappie. No one has explained that to me :(

After Danny's experience at the vet this morning for his injection No. 4, your cubby house is sounding very attractive : :cry: mad My usual vets weren't on and I had to have a vet who, I have to say, has not impressed me in the past. I thought it would be okay because it was only an injection. How wrong could I be. :cry:

She came into the consulting room with a vet nurse and I didn't give much thought to it, maybe just crossed my mind for a nano second that she was there to watch.

Anyway, I was just holding Danny on the table, unclipping his harness when the vet said as she prepared the needle, that it stings. I told her that it was injection No 4 and Danny had been fine.

The next thing, before I realised why she was there, the vet nurse is holding Danny in what can only be called a head lock and is forcing his head down :eek: he was yelping in surprise and pain (he has had neck and back problems in the past) and I said to the vet nurse in shock to let him go. I was absolutely shocked. Here is Danny, a 16 years old, 5kg sick little dog being treated as though he was 40kg bruiser.

Anyway, we had a "discussion" about the way he was treated and I have spoken to the owner of the hospital.

I had to stop by the side of the road on my way home to try to control my shacking. I am still shaking and just want to cry.

What a distressing experience for you DDD. As if you're emotions are not already stretched to capacity.

I'm glad you told the vet nurse to let go her hold of Danny. There was no reason for her to manhandle him like that after you told the vet Danny was ok with the previous injections.

It's good you had the chance to speak to the owner of the practice about this treatment of Danny and I trust this particular vet will not be called on to treat Danny in future. The vet nurse was probably acting under her instruction.

Our dogs are so forgiving so Danny has already forgotten about it. Take a few deep breaths and carry on with your usual tender, patient care of Danny.

Did he keep his dinner down last night? Has he kept his food down so far today? He's a lucky boy he has you to take care of him.

Thanks cavNrott. Everything kept down from yesterday. :thumbsup: All his Meds today kept down as well.

I have not tried him with food as he very rarely wants to eat in the morning and after the upset at the vets, I just wanted to let him to sleep and settle. He has reached the stage that he is pulling back when we go to the vets, now. :cry:

Still feel sick. Haven't had anything to eat myself yet, so about to change that LOL.

Thanks cavNrott. Everything kept down from yesterday. :thumbsup: All his Meds today kept down as well.

I have not tried him with food as he very rarely wants to eat in the morning and after the upset at the vets, I just wanted to let him to sleep and settle. He has reached the stage that he is pulling back when we go to the vets, now. :cry:

Still feel sick. Haven't had anything to eat myself yet, so about to change that LOL.

I don't blame him for pulling back at the vets, he's had injections that sting like crazy for the last four days. Hopefully these have now dealt with his nausea and you'll be able to treat him with anti nausea tablets such as Maxalon in future.

That he kept his food and meds down yesterday is a good sign. I hope he's turned the corner and everything will stay down today. Constant nausea is truly awful. I've been there.

When my Rottie was taking meds for her cancer she was prescribed a hefty dose of Maxalon. It seemed to counteract the nausea because her appetite was good. Of course all meds can have side effects but she did ok with Maxalon.

Hopefully when Danny wakes up you'll be able to tempt him to eat something and it will stay down.

Take care of yourself too. Eat healthy foods so your energy level stays good. You need to be in top shape right now to cope with Danny's issues.

Please keep us posted. Fingers crossed that Danny keeps everything down today.

VERY diasppointed to hear of your experience this morning.

It's a shame the regular vets weren't there. I think I know who you saw and I wouldn't let her touch any animal that have.

Go and have something nice to eat, keep up your fluids and give Danny a big hug

VERY diasppointed to hear of your experience this morning.

It's a shame the regular vets weren't there. I think I know who you saw and I wouldn't let her touch any animal that have.

Go and have something nice to eat, keep up your fluids and give Danny a big hug

She is always on on Saturdays and I would NEVER have her for a consultation. She is the one who, if she cracked a smile, the world would probably end. That sounds awful, but how you can not greet someone with a smile (all the others do) is beyond my comprehension.

She also told me I was crazy to have "a rescue dog" given an operation to restore his sight :eek: . She said she wouldn't even do that for her own dog. How a vet could even think that let alone say it is gobsmacking.

She also told me I was crazy to have "a rescue dog" given an operation to restore his sight :eek: . She said she wouldn't even do that for her own dog. How a vet could even think that let alone say it is gobsmacking.

Implies a familiarity with you that is totally out of place. Not really her business, imho, unless in the content of a consultation.

For me, I need the empathy of the Vet to allow proper treatment of my animals.

Sorry to read this, DDD.

:(

Edited by VizslaMomma