What Food Can Your Dog Not Resist?

Loving my Oldies

He is now going all around the house licking. I've had to go downstairs twice to stop him eating the plants. I don't mind the plants, but I don't know whether they will harm him :( He is licking the floor and the mats.

A couple of days ago, he was eating the petunias and the palnts he is now eating are succulents, big fleshy leaves. I've shut him inside and in between licking he is pacing up and down in front of the glass doors and pushing against the doggy door which I've locked.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DDD, when you say throwing up, is he retching and having abdominal contractions prior to stuff coming up, or is he just kind of belching and the fluid / food comes out? It may well be a combination of both, but the latter is regurgitation rather than vomiting and does happen with physical / functional problems affecting the oesophagus. If it is vomiting then nausea may well be associated with it and the cerenia will help but if it's regurgitation then something like Maxalon might help too.. Of course he could have a degree of both just so nothing is simple for you :o

Rappie, there is generally no warning. He does not have all the retching and abdominal contractions, or any noise. He'll just open his mouth and out it comes.

I timed him with the licking and it went on for 15 minutes and stopped only when I opened the door and he went rushing straight to the potplants and pulled at the petunias and lobelias. I let him do it for a while and then brought him back insideā‰„

He is back to the licking; I've made a video, but don't know how to attach here. It is full on licking with his whole tongue. I have the stopwatch ticking over to see how long he continues this time.

So many people have suggested Maxalon, so whether my vet approves or not, I am going to try that.

ETA: still going with the licking - up to 7 minutes now.

At least with that, his tail is up and he actually seems to be enjoying himself, which I can't imagine is the case. He seems a bit desperate.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

Guest crazydoglady99

Just a random thought.. but I was reading about augustine approved and it contains "barley grass" which supposedly stops them eating grass.

Not sure if that is in anyway helpful!!

Rappie, there is generally no warning. He does not have all the retching and abdominal contractions, or any noise. He'll just open his mouth and out it comes.

That means his tummy is too full and the sphincter can't hold it in any longer. So that means he is drinking too much milk. If my memory serves me right, he does this most times after he's had the goat's milk?

I must admit, that if I have cereal for breakfast the milk often makes me feel a bit unhappy in the tummy. Also mornings are worse for reflux than lunch time onwards.

Have you tried him on cooked chicken since he has been on the injections?

Jemappelle, his stomach has practically nothing in it. He hasn't had the milk/honey mix for days and he would have had about a desertspoonful maximum this morning.

The only chicken he has eaten since he refused the last lot were the dried pieces that Valbitz included in her Christmas/Easter/Thanksgiving rolled into one "hamper".

Oh, sorry. I've re-read your post properly :o . No, I've not tried him on chicken since we started the injections. Once the bone broth is finished, I'll have a bit of chicken from the carcasses and I will also get a roast to try him.

I've tried him on a few different things today, but although he looks happier, his tummy or oesophagus isn't, because apart from lapping a little of the milk/honey, he hasn't been interested.

And, yes, he obviously feels better later in the day and sometimes last thing at night, he will eat a small meal of kibble.

I've made the Bone Broth. It is all strained and put into small containers in the freezer. I've already given Danny some and pulverised the bone/meat residue to mix in with the broth. He has eaten quite readily a good amount for a little dog who hasn't eaten much more than a few crackers that he insisted I share with him. He would have eaten more, but I will wait a couple of hours to see that it doesn't come up and if that is the case, I will then give him some more.

So excited, not only because he has eaten it, but also, and mostly, because he has eaten something so nutritious.

Bunter would have eaten the lot including the couple of litres of broth, so whether or not he eats is not an indication of its tastiness or otherwise LOL.

Jeune loved it and didn't spend 1/2 hour staring at it and walking around it and away from it while she decided it wasn't poison. She ate it immediately.

Tamar - well what can I say? Anything new or out of the usual for Tamar is something to be treated with fear and suspicion So sad. She won't touch it. Maybe tomorrow.

And Gussy Cat loved it too.

Looks like my culinary efforts might be focussed on bone broth for now LOL.

I timed him with the licking and it went on for 15 minutes and stopped only when I opened the door and he went rushing straight to the potplants and pulled at the petunias and lobelias. I let him do it for a while and then brought him back insideā‰„

He is back to the licking; I've made a video, but don't know how to attach here. It is full on licking with his whole tongue. I have the stopwatch ticking over to see how long he continues this time.

Sounds like regurgitation then.

I'm not sure if it had been mentioned already but feeding with the bowls slightly raised may help.

There's multiple,potential causes for the licking including anxiety, pica, pain etc etc

Speak to your vet about the appropriate dosage of Maxalon if you intend to use it.

Sounds like regurgitation then.

I'm not sure if it had been mentioned already but feeding with the bowls slightly raised may help.

There's multiple,potential causes for the licking including anxiety, pica, pain etc etc

Speak to your vet about the appropriate dosage of Maxalon if you intend to use it.

Yes, I am sure it is regurgitation.

Have tried the raising bowls and it didn't seem to make any difference, but I will start doing that again.

I wouldn't use the Maxalon without getting correct dosage from the vet; but I will insist we give it a try.

What is pica, please? ETA: looked it up. Very interesting. I wonder if Danny's difficulties are psychosomatic. Working that out would be like working out what came first - the chicken or the egg :(

Have an appointment with vet tomorrow, so will be bring all this up.

Thank you again :)

You could try boiling up some beef marrow bones? I'd eat them...

definitely at the try anything stage... glad the chicken stock has worked for now. And it should be less fatty than beef marrow bone stock. You could probably try something similar with fish - tho I'd be extremely careful about fish bones.

Regarding meat stock/ broth...

Fish bones are the only bones that are okay for a dog once cooked as they remain soft so I wouldn't be too concerned about some remaining in the stock - I am not referring to the heavily crumbling ones you mentioned as they may be okay once ground down further or blitzed.

When any stock is cold after cooking you can easily scoop out the fat that forms a crust on the top so any bones work. Beef neck will render a better broth than marrow bones in my opinion :)

Edited by Yonjuro

After being simmered for 24 hours, the chicken bones just crumbled at the touch, Yonjuro, although I did give them a workout with the pestle and mortar just to be on the safe side.

In fact, it occurred to me last night that chicken bones have been a part of their diet for a long time as for years, my dogs have been fed a mixture of raw: beef, chicken and roo. I would also regularly boil up chicken and use the broth to cook their vegetables and, occasionally, rice.

Just thinking ......... this morning, I don't feel very well, just a bit yukky in my tum mainly because not enough sleep. The first thing I do without fail when I get up is to have a cup of coffee and, at times when I feel like I do this morning, it is an absolute necessity. I am on my second, which is unusual. Normally, one cup does the trick.

If everything I read would tell me that this is partly because I have become addicted to caffeine, it made me wonder if there would be any equivalent in the doggy world that, when he feels queasy or unhappy in the mornings, Danny would "need" and have no trouble drinking or eating.

LOL. I just gave him a try with a desert spoon of my coffee on a saucer which disappeared in a trice. He has so far this morning turned his head at Gussy Cat's food, bone broth and bone meal + broth (all of which he wolfed down late last night). But he has now had his caffeine shot, I'd better get my running shoes on.

For those who have been suggesting Maxalon.

I asked Angus about this this morning and it turns out that it was one of the very first meds Danny was on, but as it was in tablet form he would spit it out. Apparently Metomide (see my very first post) is Maxalon.

When I came home I checked and found I still have a supply of those and am now waiting for Angus to call me back to advise dosage, etc.

He is certainly better than when I started this thread so I may be able to find something to feed him the Metomide in. :crossfingers:

What a roller coaster for you, DDD. Hope he takes to the broth again, he is lucky to have you trying so many good things for him. Thanks for the photo of your gorgeous little man, I know it is stupid but it is easier to send good thoughts when you have a mental image of who they are going to.embarrass.gif Really hoping he picks up again soon.

Thanks Coogie. He is cute little guy, that's for sure, and I do know what you mean about putting a face to a recipient of cyber best wishes :laugh:

All he had to eat today was the 1/4 teaspoon of pasta sauce (creamy) from my lunch and he licked the saucepan as though he was never going to get another feed in his life. There was practically nothing left in it, but what there was he determined to get up every last morsel. He did have a throw up so I imagine it is too rich, but he licked it up again (sorry folks :o ).

Apart from that nothing until about 10.30pm when he had some kibble and some bone/meat/broth mixture. He seemed happy with that. He is now on my bed finishing off Gussy Cat's dinner which is always a mix of raw and canned. It if I give it to him specifically, he won't eat it.

Are you confused? I sure am :confused: :confused: :laugh: :laugh:

The ulcer on his eye is healing, very slowly though. The vet scrapes that every week. As if everything else wasn't enough :mad .

He is such a good boy.