Perth People - Anybody Else Doing The Dutchfield Dog Survival?

hortfurball

We're doing the recreational, not competition because Ella's nearly 13 and I'm not as fit as I once was!

If you're super keen and weren't aware of it, I think there might be a few cancellations so it could be worth contacting them to ask.

It's in Donnybrook so quite a nice day trip if you want to check it out before next year.

If you're wondering why Ella and not Rolfie, just picture me trying to get a great dane into a wheelbarrow! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

http://dutchfielddog...-survival-2013/

What is a Dog Survival?

A Dog Survival is a trial run in which a handler and dog walk or run a set course of about 5 kilometre in which they come across about 15 obstacles or challenges. These obstacles/challenges have to be overcome by handler and his/her dog. For instance, climbing over piled up haybales, putting the dog in a wheelbarrow and walk to a marker, crawl under a camouflage net or crawl through a labyrinth made of haybales and canvas cover. The dog stays on lead the whole time.

Categories:

1. Competition: this category will be timed. Every minute a new team starts, competitors follow the set course. There will be volunteers at every obstacle to help competitors. Competitors are free to skip obstacles if they don't feel they are up to it (time penalty: 10 minutes). There will be prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place for category male competitor and category female competitor.
  2. Recreational: Handler and dog can walk the course in their own time, and can team up with others up to 4 handlers/dogs in one group if they like. Volunteers at each obstacle will help them and stamp their trial card if they complete the challenge/obstacle. When they finish the course, the points will be added up and they'll receive a certificate of participation.

imagesCAV06Y1G.jpg

Who can compete?

This event will attract dogs and people of all shapes, sizes and athletic ability. Participants need to be reasonably fit as well as their dogs. Dogs need to be at least 1 year old to participate.There will be a vet check before getting their start numbers. Participants are limited to one dog each and all dogs must stay on a leash for the entire trail run.

Why a Dog Survival:

We like to encourage people to be active outdoors together with their dogs, to have a great and challenging fun day, to bond with their dog, to develop a trusting relationship and overcome challenges together!

ooh, I wish I wasn't super busy for the next couple of weeks- I would have loved to do this with Chuck (he's 13, still thinks he's 5 though). Since he'll be 14 next year I guess I'll just have to see how he's doing then, he might be a bit old.

I am reading googing, ohh look another tibbie, then saw the bit about staffy and kelpie and realised you were talking about us!!!

Ill be there with my kelpie girl - shell be the hypo one running circles around me!

Hahahahaha! I'm sure there will only be one group like us!

So yep, come say hi dol'ers, we'll be easy to spot! :)

My team is my kelpie x Ella, the only bernese mountain dog in the comp, a husky x and a lab.

Periwinkle, when she was younger, Ella would have been the hypo one running rings around me, but she finally matured and is almost like a normal dog now that she's 13!

When we're not actually on the course, look for Rolfie and you won't be able to miss us!

Apparently rain is forecast so looks like it will be the mud rush after all! :eek: Anyone know where I can get windscreen wipers for spectacles?

At least it's going to be nice and cool, much nicer for the dogs...and us!