Hi All - Searching For Another Family Member!

Mercedes

- Field Spaniel (a breeder suggested kids might be a bit young yet?, also may need more excerise than I can offer) I really liked the look of these though

- Smooth Mini Dachshund (I am in love with these but again I have spoken to one breeder who was concerned that the younger child may be a bit young due to the puppies being so little, am waiting to hear back from others) I was disappointed by this as I really love the mini :( but I understand their concerns

- Cardigan Welsh Corgi (waiting to get replies from emails)

Field spaniels and most of the more working spaniel breeds need a lot of training and exercise - dont get a working dog. Look at something in the more companion classes not working classes. Your hands are full with children already and to be honest the last thing you will appreciate is a hyper puppy who needs a LOT of attention and training

Daschunds are hunters too and known for their voice. Most of the dogs bred to go underground will be loud (terriers, dachies etc) So unless you find a more mature, laid back dog dont just go out for a puppy if you have little experience in raising more vocal breeds

Corgie is a better choice if you dont mind grooming. Cockers are good too if you want to try some obedience BUT find a good breeder and go visit them and their dogs. Go see what the actual dogs are like and try and meet as many of them from the lines as possible.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do really like the ESS - what are the main diffs from the WSS please?

There are not many Welshies around but I'd be happy to put you in touch with someone I know who does showing, tracking and agility with hers. She breeds only very occasionally but she could put you in touch with the right folk. You probably need to meet both breeds in the flesh - I think the field bred ESS I know have a more distinctive on switch and off switch. The Welshies shouldn't have a heap of coat but they do have more than my Springer - certainly they have heavier ear leather. A lot less coat than a show ESS. There is no split between show and working in Welshies.

Welsh are more laid back ,

Both breeds will need grooming & of course trained to be groomed ,depending on where you want to walk the coats will collect stuff .

Of the 3 Spaniels mentioned the Field i think is easier to be around & yes i see all 3 most weekends & show Springers ,Springers are also great dogs but its comes down to how big you want .

If you like something different maybe look at the Swedish Valhunds

I just ha another thought. Bear in mind that having 6 people in the household, 4 of them children, is going to make training general good behaviour challenging for you. Dogs, especially puppies, really need CONSISTENCY when they are being taught how to behave and children naturally find it difficult to provide that consistency, particularly with things like no attention for jumping, calm reactions to mouthing, no pulling on lead etc. It's not the kids fault by any means, they are kids, but I've seen and heard about many families with kids becoming very frustrated with puppy behaviour.

So my point is, I'd be looking at a calm, biddable breed as much as possible. I think you would be more likely to have issues with the more independent thinking breeds like Spitz and Terriers. I don't really know enough about Spaniels to know where they fit in, same with Corgis, although I get the impression that they would be calmer and easier to manage than some of the others.

Thank you SG, I totally agree with you. Think we need a calmer breed while the children are young... I don't want to find myself in the deep ending, rather err on the side of caution :)

Cardi topping the list ATM, must see them at a show ASAP.

Showdog - I really like the Swedish Vallhund, but do you all think it may be a bit much training-wise as it's a Spitz breed? I see breeders are few and far between, which is fine as I'm not in a hurry for a puppy, but may be too independent in their thinking?

Can anyone tell me anything about Dachshund Australia? Google brought me to their website and there's something about it that concerns me, but I'm not sure what it is. Are they legit? I don't think they are on DOL...

Have had a look at their website. They claim to be "professional pet breeders". They do not show, because the colours they like best are not permitted in the show ring in Australia (there is a REASON for large amounts of white being a no-no in this breed!)

They claim that they will never ever line breed, but their imported stock is from breeders who heavily line breed.

I lost all faith in them when I read their article which stated that when they found that almost all of the swabs they sent in for DNA testing for an eye disease resulted in all the dogs they had tested being carriers for that disease, so they pooh-[poohed the tests, based on the faulty statistics that the incidence in the breed should be the same as the incidence of carriers in their kennel (which would only be the case if no one else bred dachshunds. LOL).

I think your instincts are good, Mercedes. Avoid them.

Can anyone tell me anything about Dachshund Australia? Google brought me to their website and there's something about it that concerns me, but I'm not sure what it is. Are they legit? I don't think they are on DOL...

Have you read their article titled "pet breeder and proud of it"?

In case you are still considering a cocker...here is a little information about our beautiful blue roan boy. Hector is just gorgeous. I don't know too many other cockers but his nature would be ideal for you. He is such a happy dude. He gravitates towards children and just adores them. I had expected some shedding but haven't noticed any at all. I'm not sure if that's normal.

Our other dog is a lagotto but his curly coat would probably not be something you're keen on. He, also, is great with children.

You know that we are all going to be watching as you decide and choose your puppy now :)

Th OP has asked for breeds that are low grooming and quiet. Most Spitz breeds are neither of these things, so why are people suggesting them as an option?

I wouldn't suggest a kees, sammy or a lappie for this situation at all!

I would suggest one of the smaller gundogs as an alternative to a spitz

I would not recommend dachshounds. We had them as kids and ours were total Princesses! Smart, cunning and absolutely determined to get what they wanted.

I adore the breed but IMHO dachshounds are more suited to adult home.

Edited by Kajtek

Th OP has asked for breeds that are low grooming and quiet. Most Spitz breeds are neither of these things, so why are people suggesting them as an option?

I wouldn't suggest a kees, sammy or a lappie for this situation at all!

I would suggest one of the smaller gundogs as an alternative to a spitz

I would not recommend dachshounds. We had them as kids and ours were total Princesses! Smart, cunning and absolutely determined to get what they wanted.

I adore the breed but IMHO dachshounds are more suited to adult home.

Ah...I didn't recommend a dachshund??

I never would, we had one when I was young, they're intense dogs.

Thank you all so much, I am going to head to Sunbury on Monday 3rd November to check out all the beautiful dogs at the show there.

Can please anyone tell me what breeds will be at the Royal Geelong A & P Society show tomorrow?