Hi All - Searching For Another Family Member!

Mercedes

Thank you Tintin, I think I'll skip their cruddy article, it'll probably make me sad by the sounds of it.

I am definitely still considering a cocker - blue roan is my fave colour! I will see some at the Sunbury show in a few weeks hopefully. Where did you get your Hector from if you don't mind me asking? xx

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Collie Rough would be a perfect dog for your situation. Why do you think they are too big? A medium/large breed puppy is more resilient with kids and less fragile than the small breeds. This is one of the reasons that Golden Retrievers make good family pets too. Collies are wonderful family dogs, often overlooked these days. Easy going, easy to train and gentle with kids but always up for a romp with the family.Their coats are easy to groom with a decent brushing of 30 min once a week, a bath every 4-8 weeks and they shed a lot less than those breeds with dense short coats. The long coat comes out in easy to pick up clumps rather than one short hair at a time that work their way into every surface and are impossible to remove. I have owned a Labrador and they are wonderful dogs but the shedding drove me nuts compared to the long haired breeds I have had for the last 30 years. A Corgi could also be be a good match but they are a very high shedding breed. A Cardigan Corgi is actually a medium size breed on short legs. The Pembrokes are smaller. A Cocker Spaniel might also be a good match and they are fairly easy to groom as pets. A Whippet would also fit the criteria. With kids those ages I wouldn't go anything smaller than the breeds mentioned here.

If you had more dog experience I would suggest a Border Collie but you would need to be very dedicated to training and prepared to be closely mentored by the breeder for quite a long time or the dog would end up training you. They are a lot more work to keep entertained than a Collie Rough is.

dancinbcs, I was more than a little excited when you said you thought a Collie Rough would suit us - I love them! I was a bit intimidated by how much work the coat looked, but if you think it would be ok once I got the hang of it... I certainly have the time for it no worries if it's only an hour once or twice a week. :)

How much exercise would you say the Collie needs each day to be content? Are they a jogging dog, or do they get too hot with that coat?

If you are super worried about the coat- they do come in a shorthaired version ;)

There is a family of 5 collies that comes to the dog park once a week or so, and they are just divine!

Apparently, according to their owner, the grooming isn't too demanding, and even so- its a labour of love :)

Mercedes, I've had rough Collies my whole life. They are lovely. Something from the older lines with less coat would be easier. They are not nearly as much grooming as people think. If you live in Victoria and want to come up to KCC sometime you are welcome to meet my girl and have a chat about grooming etc.

Most would be happy with an hours exercise a day especially if that includes a little training and free running. They will go jogging but within reason, certainly early in the morning in warm weather only but if they are fit they manage. There have been quite a few with Endurance titles.

dancinbcs, I was more than a little excited when you said you thought a Collie Rough would suit us - I love them! I was a bit intimidated by how much work the coat looked, but if you think it would be ok once I got the hang of it... I certainly have the time for it no worries if it's only an hour once or twice a week. :)

How much exercise would you say the Collie needs each day to be content? Are they a jogging dog, or do they get too hot with that coat?

My friend has a Smooth Collie ;he grew up with her 3 girls the youngest girl was 5 when they got him.She says he has been a great family pet.

Thank you Tintin, I think I'll skip their cruddy article, it'll probably make me sad by the sounds of it.

I am definitely still considering a cocker - blue roan is my fave colour! I will see some at the Sunbury show in a few weeks hopefully. Where did you get your Hector from if you don't mind me asking? xx

To be honest, I didn't read the whole article. It was not along my way of thinking.

Hector is from Elspan. Personally, I would highly recommend them. There are quite a few Elspan puppy families on DOL. Belinda was really great to deal with and is totally, totally in love with her dogs and the breed in general. She attends a lot of shows so you would be likely to see her and/or her dogs if you attended a show with cockers.

Well we are slowly changing our minds from the small-medium size dog to medium-large... hell it's pretty much large!

The short-list ATM is Collie Rough, Flat Coated Retriever, Golden Retriever....

Thank you all for your advice on here, it has been so so helpful both in adding breeds we hadn't previously considered and ruling others out.

The Sunbury Show in a couple of weeks will help as will a couple of breeder visits I think.

I feel like we are getting close :D

Great job doing your research and taking on board advice Mercedes! Having worked in a shelter I've seen too many dumped adolescents because people haven't done their research and prepared for the work they will need to put in when they get a puppy.

I do still think the Collie would be a better match than the retrievers with the young kids, for the reason I mentioned before. Retrievers can be very bouncy, active and cheeky and the kids will really need to work to be calm and consistent, whereas a Collie is likely to be that bit calmer.

However, PLENTY of families successfully raise Retrievers so as long as you are prepared to make the commitment to deal with the hard parts I'm sure you'll do great with whichever you pick :)

Thank you SG :)

Hubby needs a bit of convincing about the Collie coat, but we will make sure we meet them all before we decide.

I'm waiting for some replies to emails I have sent to Breeders so will go from there when I hear back.

Starting to get excited again, even if it takes another 6 months that's ok. We're getting close :) finally, hopefully...

Apologies it didn't come out right :doh:

All I wanted to say is that, in my experience, dachshounds are not that great with kids AS WELL

Total rubbish Dachies have to be one of the best dogs around kids,they are regularly used in Junior Handlers Aussie wide & the first show dog for many Lids out there ,most are borrowed dogs & go in the ring with great gusto with the kids & mainly the younger kids who can get them on the table,

There like any other breed don't train them or respect them they become a nightmare,no dog is easy all take commitment.

My first showdog as a 12 yr old was a Std Smooth prior to that i handled Dachies for other breeders for many years & was part of the Dachie demo team wcich did agility & obedience .

Infact i can say i have lost count of the kids in Australia who have started out in the dog showing world with a Dachie because they tick the boxes so well,I no longer have Dachies as im a big dog person now but will happily recommend them as a great first pet

One thing to take into account i am a dog groomer & many breeds should be easy to look after BUT most aren't brushed properly because the owners truly didn't understand the full commitment,i wouldn't consider Collies easy & the biggest issue we see are near fly blown bums because no one has brushed the poo off there bottoms or checked ,this is part of the grooming side BUT above all they need to be trained to be groomed this is so important to make grooming enjoyable & simple if you don't train it is a nightmare & not fair on the dog .

I can say honestly all the Colies we groom come in matted & hate being groomed .

I would also suggest if you head down the Collie path you must get a grooming table ,will be the best money you spend to teach it to lay down whilst you layer brush & save your back from hell

So we always say to people be honest with the time you want to spend on your dog & by that i mean the extra time every week just for grooming ,brushing ,picking stuff out of there coats ,If you are happy to spend the time wonderful ,if your not then pick your breed to suit your time commitments & who will be the main groomer.

Thank you showdog, I really love the honest answers, it does make our decision easier. I think if we are honest the Collie will just be too much at this point in our lives, on our wish list for down the track definitely...

If you are looking at Retrievers the sometimes overlooked Curly Coated Retriever would be worth a look too.

The CCR's have a seasonal coat shed but the rest of the time are low shedding and are said to be "wash and go' grooming wise with a tidy up of straggly bits when needed.

Always a good idea to consider what level of grooming and shedding you can live with;that will narrow down your list .

I think a curly coated retriever is a very big step into the large category. They are the largest of the retrievers, we met one at the park once and I'm pretty sure Collie could have walked underneath him with no problems whatsoever

I have a standard schnauzer which I adopted several months ago. He's fourteen months old now and is a fabulous dog! I wish I'd known more about the breed years ago.

He is low shedding (I strip him not clip) and a great family dog. Our two and a half year old grandson was visiting with us recently for a week and it's the first time the dog and he have met. The dog followed the toddler everywhere and was very gentle. He even tried to herd him back whe he got too far ahead :laugh:

I'm very impressed with this breed of dog, however, they do need a confident handler so that they don't rule the house!

I think a curly coated retriever is a very big step into the large category. They are the largest of the retrievers, we met one at the park once and I'm pretty sure Collie could have walked underneath him with no problems whatsoever

Yes they are quite big dogs;the female is smaller.

Another smaller retriever ...The Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever..

http://www.dogbreedi...ducktolling.htm