Hi All - Searching For Another Family Member!

Mercedes

Flatcoats and Goldens are super breeds but can make for very boisterous (and strong) youngsters. Certainly the pet ones I see in classes are.

Hahaha, WHAT ARE YOU SAYING, TSD?!

Kidding, I can vouch. Gus is bouncy as all heck, but we also don't have kids and he does slow right down and is very gentle with kids. My sisters 1.5 year old was running/toddling about the house last week and he was crawling alongside her and was an absolute gem. He also surprised the life out of me with a kid at the park who had Cystic Fibrosis and was in an electric wheelchair, which Gus had never seen before and he was as gentle as a lamb and didn’t try to climb aboard for love, like I half expected...

Having said that he has bowled a kid or two over in his early years, before we really instilled the no jumping habit. Ahem.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flatcoats and Goldens are super breeds but can make for very boisterous (and strong) youngsters. Certainly the pet ones I see in classes are.

Hahaha, WHAT ARE YOU SAYING, TSD?!

Kidding, I can vouch. Gus is bouncy as all heck, but we also don't have kids and he does slow right down and is very gentle with kids. My sisters 1.5 year old was running/toddling about the house last week and he was crawling alongside her and was an absolute gem. He also surprised the life out of me with a kid at the park who had Cystic Fibrosis and was in an electric wheelchair, which Gus had never seen before and he was as gentle as a lamb and didn’t try to climb aboard for love, like I half expected...

Having said that he has bowled a kid or two over in his early years, before we really instilled the no jumping habit. Ahem.

:rofl: He's such a sweetie! Bouncy but a heart of gold :D

My Dally is a bit like that too - very bouncy but really tones it down for kids. Although he will start to push the boundaries of silly once he gets familiar.

Absolutely, god love them.

Another thing I was discussing with mum the other day is the misconception dogs who are easy to motivate and reward, who love everything aren't as easy as some believe.

I find if not set on the right path from day dot, Gus will absolutely make his own rewards. Give him an inch and he will take a mile and make a game out of it.

He's been known to make his own rewards if we aren't absolutely obvious with what we want from him, and once its fun once, its fun whenever your back is turned. We need to be 100% more fun than everything somedays to keep him out of mischief.

Its a burden we accept because he is absolutely the perfect dog for us, but I can see how some would struggle. Haha.

Thank you showdog, I really love the honest answers, it does make our decision easier. I think if we are honest the Collie will just be too much at this point in our lives, on our wish list for down the track definitely...

No problems we own/show & breed coated breeds ,they are a commitment & as a full time groomer i see all sorts of things & we are very honest that people need to look at what hrs they want to set aside for grooming which is a MUST compared to maybe missing a walk here & there .

Grooming is a labour of love for life & whilst some breeds are easier going to the groomers & being kept in a more suitable pet clip others aren't & we often have Collies in that are so matted they clip off in one piece & we think why not have just brought a Smooth & the only reason there not brushed is because the hrs weren't set aside as a pup to train properly & ofcourse they get bigger & more work & less fun when they fight you to be groomed and some just want to bite as brushing the knots out hurts .

It isn't hard to train but it is a major reality of the breed & something all good breeders would tell you anyway ,some breeds are great but come with pitfalls .

It is something we have to drill into our puppy owners about brushing weekly ,checking the coat for burrs,grass seeds & anything else they may collect ,those that aren't keen we don't sell too .

We are realists & many breeds work for some & not for others & when you have a passion for them you will go the extra mile if it fits with your current lifestyle after all picking the wrong dog to live with for the next 12 yrs plus is a nightmare not a pleasure .

I think your kids are probably a wee bit small to cope with the adolescent shenanigans of many of the larger dogs, but that shouldn't preclude you looking at those breeds and considering an adult of that breed. Dogs 4yrs and over are commonly settled nicely, especially if already raised with kids.

Labs, goldens, flat coats, curly coats, the other retrievers and even busy dogs such as Dalmations and Vizlas and pointer types are quite settled at that age. If you are determined to raise from puppyhood, then I would say it is easier on a young family to choose a small to medium breed. There are very few breeds that don't go through a silly adolescent phase, but larger dogs do tend to knock little people flying while in theirs.

Another plus for getting an older dog for a first family dog is that they have already been through all the vulnerable stages where a mistake in rearing could make them nightmares to live with - and when you need a lot of energy keeping up with small kids it is not impossible to make such a mistake with a puppy, just through not having enough time.

Whether you choose a puppy or an older dog might well depend on the breed you set your heart on - talk to as many breeders as you can at the shows (when they are relaxed and seated - not while waiting to go in the ring or grooming!) and you should get an idea whether a baby or an adult of that breed is best.smile.gif

If you are looking at Retrievers the sometimes overlooked Curly Coated Retriever would be worth a look too.

The CCR's have a seasonal coat shed but the rest of the time are low shedding and are said to be "wash and go' grooming wise with a tidy up of straggly bits when needed.

Always a good idea to consider what level of grooming and shedding you can live with;that will narrow down your list .

I had a curly when my 4 boys were young - 3-6 yrs when we got her.

She was wonderful; tough enough to rough play with my very boisterous children but gentle enough never to hurt them apart from the occasional bump over.

She was very active; LOVED water and very destructive for the first couple of years. We had a Lab who had nothing on her when it came to chewing and digging :laugh:

When she has her "zoomies" the boys learnt very quickly to lay flat on the ground and she would run and jump over them - or she would knock them flying which they sometimes deliberately let her do.

If you are looking at Retrievers the sometimes overlooked Curly Coated Retriever would be worth a look too.

The CCR's have a seasonal coat shed but the rest of the time are low shedding and are said to be "wash and go' grooming wise with a tidy up of straggly bits when needed.

Always a good idea to consider what level of grooming and shedding you can live with;that will narrow down your list .

I had a curly when my 4 boys were young - 3-6 yrs when we got her.

She was wonderful; tough enough to rough play with my very boisterous children but gentle enough never to hurt them apart from the occasional bump over.

She was very active; LOVED water and very destructive for the first couple of years. We had a Lab who had nothing on her when it came to chewing and digging :laugh:

When she has her "zoomies" the boys learnt very quickly to lay flat on the ground and she would run and jump over them - or she would knock them flying which they sometimes deliberately let her do.

My Wolfhound cross was 28 kilos when we got her at 10 months old.My youngest was 3 at the time.She did zoomies and ran towards us but would swerve around behind us then stop at our side.She never knocked the kids over but it was the kids who sometimes ran into her when playing and she was tough enough for it to not bother her.

Lots of larger breeds are very smart and just seem to know to be gentle around children.You must supervise and teach the kids and young dogs at the same time how to interact and play together safely .

Thank you. To tell the truth I am not too concerned about boisterous puppies knocking over the kids. The kids will pick themselves up again no problems, and they will be used to each other pretty soon. I intend on doing a lot of obedience with whichever breed we end up choosing, which will hopefully curb any undesirable behaviour before it gets out of hand?

I agree that it will be a case of teaching the dog and kids together about the rules :) , but I am confident we can do it. I didn't have 4 kids under 5 years of age without a lot of rules :D

• 3 months later...

Hi Mercedes,

As an owner of several Field Spaniels and a breeder of Fieldies I cannot understand (but fully believe you) why a breeder would say that your children are too young. :confused:

We have two children under 11 and the dogs bond VERY closely with children. We have several Fields that are with families with infant children and every single family comment on how beautiful and affectionate they are with the kids. I find them to bond very closely with children.

They have the most gentle of natures and the breed standard for the temperament opens with the words "unusually docile" meaning they are exceptionally docile - and that is exactly right.

We have a lot of info on our website - so feel free to go on and have a look. Website is: www.meadowbriar.com.au

Cheers Mercedes. I hope this helps. :D

I'm confused about the kid thing too. From my experience most breeders were concerned about toddlers with dogs- with your youngest being 5, I can't see the problem. School aged kids are much more robust & sensible, and kids and dogs are a match made in heaven!!

Anyway... I'm a big advocate for larger dogs, IMO, while they may be bigger as puppies, they aren't more boisterous than a small/medium dog. I've seen crazy little pups go way nuttier than big pups.

But, I note your repeated mention of jogging? I've learnt that not all dogs are created equal in the jogging partner stakes. My Goldie kept up with me for a few of her younger years, but not so much since she turned 6- which is pretty young still. She still comes with me, but only on shorter runs & not every day. It's just a breed limitation I've discovered.

Then there's the fact that for the first 18 months, you shouldn't jog with pups. Not a long running career if you choose the wrong breed.

Just something to consider. I know I'm keeping that in mind for my next breed.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned a Brittany or a German Pinscher.

Or a Toller or Sussex spaniel; Many breeds would suit you;keep in mind temperament can vary in any litter and a breeder will be able to advise which pup would best suit your situation.Also look forward to hearing about what breed you choose...Best wishes to you.

Hi Mercedes - you wanted a medium dog, and given your situation, particularly with yard size and children, I think a retriever will just be too large, and will need too much exercise.

A cocker would be great in terms of temperament and exercise, but they DO require quite a lot of grooming.

A field spaniel would be great too, but there are not many breeders, so you could have a long wait.

A Corgi, imho would suit you well.

I grew up with Standard and Miniature Dacshunds - and they weren't at all snappy, but things may have changed!! Probably need to get the opinions of a couple of breeders.

Also, a breed never mentioned, but worth considering - A Schipperke (pronounced skipper - kee. Not large, with a medium coat which needs minimum grooming, great with children - mentioned as being specially close to any children in the family - reasonable exercise requirements. Not a terrier, but reasonably active. Can bark a bit,but as they are very clever, a little training should remedy that. They were actually a Dutch Barge Dog. Price seems to be round $1000, depending on the kennel.

Here is a link to a Schipperke who has done all sorts of things, with photos showing size. There also profiles on dogs here.

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/profile.asp?dog=29637

And here is a link to a photo Supreme Ch Beadale Little Captain (pinched from the Dogzonline profile site)

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/images/profiles/11/06/25996_1495_sm.jpg

They come in black and the occasional cream. Two litters in Aus now, so not as difficult to obtain as some of the spaniels.

Just something new to think about.

I breed Cocker Spaniels and Cavalier King Charles Spaniels - and I would recommend you investigate the Schipperke. You might hate the way they look too.

Jed, with kids & a decent suburban yard, why would you rule out retrievers?

We have kids, a tiny house & a small courtyard, & have a Golden Retriever- she probably gets more exercise than most dogs, through necessity.

I think it's a popular misconception that the larger the dog, the larger the home needs to be.

Because, dee lee, the op, in the original poster said ...

I also do not want anything larger than small-medium in size, this is what I am most comfortable with considering the dog will be living in the house with us.

I certainly wouldn't class a retriever as "small-medium" and they do require grooming. Additionally, they are large enough to flatten the children, and probably a bit large for the op to have inside.

Also, the op considered corgis and dacshunds and spaniels, which are small-medium. Schipperkes fit into this niche too, but they are not mainstream and are often overlooked.

I don't have Schipperkes, but I know several, and the people who own them just adore them. They fill all the criteria the op listed, and they are simply wonderful with children. They have a huge presence and personality in a small body. That may not be what the op would like, but it is certainly within the specifications. And - something diffent for the op to consider/research.

Edited by Jed

• 2 months later...

Hi Mercedes,

I would have to completely disagree with the breeder who said Field Spaniels are not good with children. I can't understand where people come up with these ideas. Field Spaniels are FANTASTIC with children. They bond very closely with children and are very tolerant with them and love their company. We have 7 Field Spaniels and have two children and they all get on fantastically well. In fact, we prefer placing our puppies into homes with children as we feel that they have a special bond with the kids and become very nurturing of the kids. Remember that the temperament breed standard for a Field Spaniel open with the words "unusually docile" meaning that they are exceptionally friendly - which they are.

I appreciate that they can be very difficult to obtain - but don't eliminate them from your options. They are very much worth waiting for.