Hi All - Searching For Another Family Member!

Mercedes

Not sure if anyone has mentioned a Brittany or a German Pinscher.

Or a Toller or Sussex spaniel; Many breeds would suit you;keep in mind temperament can vary in any litter and a breeder will be able to advise which pup would best suit your situation.Also look forward to hearing about what breed you choose...Best wishes to you.

As much as I love my Tollers, I wouldn't recommend them as a breed for as a first time dog owner with 4 young children.

They can be pretty full on pups and if you wouldn't consider a Border Collie in this situation I wouldn't look at a Toller. They are very similar in exercise levels, intelligence and coat care.

While some may fit perfectly, I would say it's an individual dog thing rather than a breed thing and I personally as a breeder wouldn't do it :)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you said you are not exactly a fan of Cavvies but I think they would be fantastic for your family from what you said. They are great for first time owners too - with so many people in your house I think a Cav would thrive as they adore company - especially kids. They are active enough to keep up with the kids and play for hours on end and at the same time are happy to kick back and snuggle with their family members on cold rainy days. Our two were running around the yard like lunatics yesterday and today they spent the whole day getting cuddles and hogging the heater :p They are very forgiving too of mistakes that first time owners might do.

Also, they don't exactly have 'short' snouts? But some can be quite short though and King Charles Spaniels have very very short muzzles - they don't appeal to me either.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but have you considered getting an mature dog? The puppy phase can be extremely trying for a first time dog owner - especially if you choose a working breed puppy. + 4 kids. I don't mean to say that you cannot manage it or it is a horrid experience (quite the opposite!), but even with wonderfully behaved kids it will be a challenge for everyone in the family to be consistent with the pup's training. With an older dog you still get to enjoy the dogs company for many years to come and can bond closely as well to their families. You don't have to go through the puppy stages and still enjoy having the company of a dog. And if you want to add another addition down the road you can get a puppy - that way the older dog (who would be already fit into your family) can 'show the ropes' to the new puppy.

I'm not trying to change your mind however - it is ultimately your decision in the end and you should choose what you are happy with! :) Good luck with your search!

Here's a photo of our two girls - it really represents their need for company.

https://scontent-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/1385863_927734460594570_2125443450270856611_n.jpg?oh=caf6b8973d2c31918b18ef0e873a20d9&oe=55BE21A8

I have a dag of a border collie you can see if he's a good fit. He needs attention and someone at home :)

He's not very big either and doesn't need a massive amount of exercise, he just needs a family. Oh and lowest maintenance coat on the planet, trust me he barely has any coat which is magical!

20150127_202843.jpg

20150127_202859.jpg

20150126_175223.jpg

I'd love a mature Cavvie. Ernie has one for a mate and I'm besotted with it.

They are one of my favourite breeds. Such happy little creatures.

The cavalier rescue often has adult cavs available ;)