Hi All - Searching For Another Family Member!

Mercedes

I totally understand the visual appeal of dogs and having specific types. And it is something you have to look at for a good 12+ years so you want a dog thats nice looking!

So even though i own 3, i wont further suggest Cavs.

Cockers would suit but do need frequent grooming. Either professional clipping every 6 weeks to shave all the hair (or learning to DIY), or frequent brushing of the skirt and ears. They are very thick so do tend to knot quickly in my experience with cockers.

Sheltis and Daschunds bark. A lot. Or the ones i know of- however maybe with more frequent training that could be discouraged?

Would definitely agree with the choice of a corgi, such wonderful little dogs. Just need a good brush now and again.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would still contact a couple of other Fields breeders - be completely up front, and ask them directly if they would see the kids as an issue.

You sound like you'll be a wonderful owner, and I don't think your kids are too young to learn how to be thoughtful and caring around a puppy. I really hope you can find a breeder who thinks so too!

I'm another that would suggest cocker, obviously I'm slightly biased though :p although I'm looking at getting a fieldie down the line, from my research they don't have the long thick coat like Cockers and personality wise are a bit softer and more independent, the reason cockers are great dogs for families is because they are confident little buggers when raised right and love being with people regardless of what you are doing, they would be equally happy sleeping on your lap or playing with the kids.

When you say lighter on the grooming side would you prefer low shedding and having to take to the groomers to get clipped or higher shedding and just need a bath every now and then?

Most dogs will fit into one of those categories

Thank you to everyone who has replied so far, that's why I love DOL!

Leah82 I have no probs doing a few trips to the groomers a year, happy to do that, also happy to give baths at home or at groomers. I guess I would prefer lower shedding in general, but I can't see myself (or hubby) with a poodle even though they are gorgeous and I think something is going to have to give so I have decided I can cope with the hair. We already have the lint brush and Dyson working overtime with the cat hair, so I figure we can cope with the dog hair too.

Do you think I should speak to Steph? I saw you two chatting at the Royal Melb but didn't want to interrupt... My kids were a bit crazy there, high on excitement and junk food, but we had a good time. They've never been to the show before :)

Edited by Mercedes

Thank you to everyone who has replied so far, that's why I love DOL!

Leah82 I have no probs doing a few trips to the groomers a year, happy to do that, also happy to give baths at home or at groomers. I guess I would prefer lower shedding in general, but I am not a poodle person and I think something is going to have to give so I have decided I can cope with the hair. We already have the lint brush and Dyson working overtime with the cat hair, so I figure we can cope with the dog hair too.

Do you think I should speak to Steph? I saw you two chatting at the Royal Melb but didn't want to interrupt... My kids were a bit crazy there, high on excitement and junk food, but we had a good time. They've never been to the show before :)

I'd never been to the Melbourne show before either :)

Definitely have a chat to Steph although I don't think she's planning a litter in the immediate future, apparently Dare is not quite your average fieldie, too much influence from her Aussies. Both her and Moo are gorgeous, we were a bit surprised about how solid the boys were, will definitely be going for a girl when the time comes.

And from your original list, Corgies do shed quite a lot, spaniels not as much because their fur keeps growing, not sure about the Dachshund's though

Thanks Leah, I would just be chatting to Steph about her thoughts on their suitability for us. They just might be too sensitive though, and that's fine. We are a fun but noisy house. I absolutely LOVED the boys, James was divine and I would go boy if we got one :)

I'm starting to lean towards the Corgi. I think the dashies will be too 'fragile' for our family, although they are gorgeous. I would be confident brushing the Corgi from day 1 too.

I will PM Steph...

"not a poodle person"

may I ask why not?

Poodles are smart - and brought/trained like a dog , are resilient, loving and wonderful. they love people , IMO. The haircut - that can be whatever style you want!! You can have an all over clip - or a cute all over shaggy :)

friends have had poodles in the country - these rode on the back of motorbikes- accepted other animals into the menagerie- were good with the kids ... :)

Attitude of owners ,and an understanding of whatever breed is chosen goes an awful long way to getting the dog you want ;)

You are doing a terrific job in researching and discussing :)

I know you are asking about buying a puppy -

and I know she's interstate - BUT

LOLLY

Lolly is a very friendly & happy girl, who loves everyone.

She is perfectly behaved and would make a great family dog.

Loves kids , gets on well with other dogs and walks well on the lead, we can't really fault her at all!!

We are unsure of her breed, but she's only a medium sized girl who weighs approx 22kg.

Oh I am sorry Persephone, I didn't mean any disrespect, I know they are lovely dogs and would probably suit us very well. Like the Cav's, I just can't see myself with one... I think it's the curls :o

:) I am not a fan of spoiled and 'prissy' poodles myself - but I have also seen them scruffy and thoroughly getting down&dirty ;)

Oh I am sorry Persephone, I didn't mean any disrespect, I know they are lovely dogs and would probably suit us very well. Like the Cav's, I just can't see myself with one... I think it's the curls :o

You obviously don't like the look of Cavs, and thats fine. we can't all like the same types of dogs! ;-)

but first you said its because they have short shouts. As I replied earlier theres different lines, and they don't all have the shorter snouts ;-)

And now you said you not keen on their curls. 2 of mine are fairly smooth coated ones. One is definitely a pure bred. I'm not sure of the other one Toby as he was rehomed to us but hes fairly smooth coated and quite long legged! Our other 2 have been quite wavy/curly coated.

I think people see pictures on the net or come across a few and think they all are the same. But there are different lines and looks. Just letting you know there are a few variations to their 'look' Some still look more like the original ones in years gone by... Not trying to convince you to get a Cav as they obviously NOT what you are after ! :)

Goodluck in your search for the breed that is most suited to you ;)

oops SORRY you might have been refering to the curls of a poodle, just re read. My mistake!

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Yes the King Charles are not the same as the Cavalier King Charles Spaniels ;)

and not all CKCS's have the same look ;)

If you have to time have a look at some of the breed threads (in the subforum) the ones that you are thinking on and there will be plenty of photos of different members dogs ;)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Raineth - In regards to the Fields, I thought the same thing... We decided 18 months ago that this was the breed for us, made contact with a (well-known) breeder and have been on their waiting list for over 12 months. Filled out the big puppy application, emailed, all good - or so I thought. Last month they emailed to say they thought the children were just too young, and they were potentially worried about them. Why didn't they mention this 18 months ago?? I was completely upfront and honest in all the info I gave them about our family. I have met up with them in person twice and nothing was said. I have taken the kids to dog shows and they have met the Fields (I wanted to see how they went with a grown dog as opposed to a puppy). I respect the breeder's opinion, I just wish they hadn't wasted 18 months of our time. I am reluctant to contact another Field breeder, I am assuming they will say the same thing and the Field breeder world is pretty small... It was pretty upsetting TBH.

So I have started my breed research AGAIN.

Kelpiecuddles, thank you, I was hoping you would be here :) I did read in the Basset thread that they can drool a lot - do you find this so? I think I can cope with a bit of slobber, but probably not if it rivals a St Bernard :)

Cleo - Very happy to see you too, thank you. I sent an email to Sue a few days ago, but haven't received a reply. I don't think there is anything I don't like about the Cardi's. I especially love the blue merles, are they hard to come by? We are in Melbourne and I am trying to stick to breeders within Vic. I just like things to be more personal than only emails, and I would like to visit before committing to a breeder (in an ideal world).

I do also love the Finnish Lapphunds, those wolf markings are adorable! But the coat did scare me a little, I'm just uneducated in grooming though...

Yeah that does seem a little strange, and I can see why you'd be frustrated.

I recently spent some time chatting with a Field spaniel breeders and interacting with their dogs and they told me that Fields are typically great with kids. If you think a Field is a good suit, I would encourage you to contact different breeders. I can't imagine the breeders I spoke to would object to the age of your kids.