Digging In Whelping Box

Fordogs

Any ideas please,

I have a maiden bitch GSD with a single puppy that is now 3 weeks old, week 1 she was fine loved her baby ( and still does ) BUT since week 2 she has continued to dig up the whelping box.

I have continued to give Calcium within the higher range but some days she just goes wild, I would hate to have to take her baby away as other than the digging she is a perfect mum.

I am worried about her puppy getting injured or possible effects on her temperament. Does anyone have have ideas on how I can stop this behavior as she is driving me mad. What about vitamin B ?

Give her a separate bed close to the whelping box so she can get away and dig all she wants!

Some bitches dig because they have too much milk so cut down the food and water to help dry her up a bit - at three weeks old, you might consider taking Mum away for short spells and starting to wean the baby as I am sure she will be fat if she is an only child.

Cut out the calcium, she doesn't need it at all.

She may be digging if she feels the bed is too cold or too hot or even trying to hide the puppy. Some dogs just do it this & its hard to find out exactly why if you have checked the obvious things like temperature & how safe she feels where she is.

Try & make sure she has the kind of bedding that she can't bury the baby in so it gets stuck, flat blanket cut to size & not folded in 2 etc.

Pup can be started on some food now & will soon be up & moving & then its not so worrying.

Thanks for your replies .. puppy was delivered by caesarean, bedding is vetbed cut to fit the whelping box,I no longer heat the room as with milder weather it is not needed, I did try her with a trampoline and she quickly demolished that, I have cut her food back and for the last 4 days I have been giving her time away from her puppy. Today I tried the puppy on a little fresh mince and she was extremely interested so I think I will begin to wean her off mum. The puppy has been attempting to climb out of the whelping box, though as yet has not managed to escape :) but it won't be long.