For Those With Allergic/food Intolerant Dogs.

trinabean

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be investigating this. Two stockists (according to the website) near me.

I am really battling to get Danny to eat anything more than once or twice. I've never had such a variety of dogs food in the cupboards and refrigerator.

Strangely enough, his weightloss seems to be arrested, but how, I don't know. He doesn't seem to be eating enough to keep a dog 1/2 his size going. He is 5.5kgs at the moment. Has spent most of his life around 6kgs+ and a couple of weeks ago dropped to 5.2kgs.

The results of his stomach biopsies were inconclusive .... non-specific gastritis :(

Anyway thanks so much for this link Trinabean; I hope Bruno continues to do well.

I just found where I can purchase Natural Balance, at the vets just up the rd from me, 5 doors up, unbelievable he's not my dogs vet, the only thing Im worried about with the Delicate care Skin the Fiber is 6% max fiber I think my boy doesnt do too well on high fiber diets, how many poos a day is ur boy doing on the Delicate skin....Patch only does 2 poos a day on the Intestinal low residue kibble as its a low fiber diet 1.70% so the bowel doesnt over work...I suppose we'll have to try another kibble, it has no potatoes or peas, so thats a start, just wonder if it digest easy having sorghum in it, I've read that sorghum is hard to digest for dogs with IBD.

If he does well on a food I wouldn't rotate it, I would let his gut settle as he is less likely to have flair ups and only change if necessary.

Trinabean is very lucky that she lives on the other side of the country from me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: otherwise, I'd be on her doorstep ready to plant a big fat kiss on her nose.

I phoned Asquith Vets on Pacific Highway (near Hornsby) to check they stocked Natural Balance and I collected a sample this afternoon. The sample is a fair sized package so I will be able to see over the next few days how Danny tolerates it and whether he keeps eating it.

Although Danny has now eaten the first decent sized meal in days. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:, I am fully expecting him to do the usual trick of refusing it the next time I give it to him :( .

I had to hold a kibble piece in his mouth to get him started - of course the other dogs were wolfing it down as I gave them just a piece each in turn. I held his mouth closed and when I released it, he just spat the kibble out. Then, halleluljah, he ate it. I then gave him a small bowl and he ate happily.

And then, he raced around the house almost back to his old self. I guess he was no longer starving and his tummy and gut are settling down with all the medications.

Everything crossed!!

Thanks Trinabean.

My dog is doing well on TOTW so far, (she's only 6kg so even a 2kg bag lasts a while lol). I will certainly try again to track some Natural Balance down locally.

Oh that's good news. I'm going to keep TOTW in mind for the future.

I just found where I can purchase Natural Balance, at the vets just up the rd from me, 5 doors up, unbelievable he's not my dogs vet, the only thing Im worried about with the Delicate care Skin the Fiber is 6% max fiber I think my boy doesnt do too well on high fiber diets, how many poos a day is ur boy doing on the Delicate skin....Patch only does 2 poos a day on the Intestinal low residue kibble as its a low fiber diet 1.70% so the bowel doesnt over work...I suppose we'll have to try another kibble, it has no potatoes or peas, so thats a start, just wonder if it digest easy having sorghum in it, I've read that sorghum is hard to digest for dogs with IBD.

Hi Sueang, sorry I haven't been back to the thread for a day or so. To answer your poo question, Bruno does 2 relatively small poos a day on this food, morning and evening. I don't know much about IBD but Bruno has been treated for ulcerative histiocytic colitis (aka 'Boxer colitis') in the past. He was prescribed a 6-8 week course of Baytril, low residue food and additional fibre (Metamucil/ psyllium husks) to treat that. So fibre is good for Bruno. IBD may differ from Colitis though, so maybe chat to your vet? So far, the sorghum seems ok for Bruno. :)

I will be investigating this. Two stockists (according to the website) near me.

I am really battling to get Danny to eat anything more than once or twice. I've never had such a variety of dogs food in the cupboards and refrigerator.

Strangely enough, his weightloss seems to be arrested, but how, I don't know. He doesn't seem to be eating enough to keep a dog 1/2 his size going. He is 5.5kgs at the moment. Has spent most of his life around 6kgs+ and a couple of weeks ago dropped to 5.2kgs.

The results of his stomach biopsies were inconclusive .... non-specific gastritis :(

Anyway thanks so much for this link Trinabean; I hope Bruno continues to do well.

Oh, poor Danny. :(

Thanks DDD, I really hope Bruno continues to do well too. Nice to have a win for once!

If he does well on a food I wouldn't rotate it, I would let his gut settle as he is less likely to have flair ups and only change if necessary.

I agree OSoSwift, I have learnt to introduce new food very gradually to Bruno. And if I find something that works I stick to it. Unfortunately because I tried to give him a wide and varied diet when I was raw-feeding him, I was left with very few options for novel meats and carbs when he has had to go on elimination diets. For Bruno's gut, change is the enemy. :laugh:

Trinabean is very lucky that she lives on the other side of the country from me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: otherwise, I'd be on her doorstep ready to plant a big fat kiss on her nose.

I phoned Asquith Vets on Pacific Highway (near Hornsby) to check they stocked Natural Balance and I collected a sample this afternoon. The sample is a fair sized package so I will be able to see over the next few days how Danny tolerates it and whether he keeps eating it.

Although Danny has now eaten the first decent sized meal in days. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:, I am fully expecting him to do the usual trick of refusing it the next time I give it to him :( .

I had to hold a kibble piece in his mouth to get him started - of course the other dogs were wolfing it down as I gave them just a piece each in turn. I held his mouth closed and when I released it, he just spat the kibble out. Then, halleluljah, he ate it. I then gave him a small bowl and he ate happily.

And then, he raced around the house almost back to his old self. I guess he was no longer starving and his tummy and gut are settling down with all the medications.

Everything crossed!!

:thumbsup: Crossing fingers and paws for you and Danny that he eats it again and it agrees with him DDD.

I'm really glad he's eaten something for you, it must have been very stressful having him so sick lately.

Bruno reckons his nose is far superior and more kissable! :laugh:

Edited by trinabean