Advice: Buy Puppy From Overseas

gbug1

Hi all,

Hoping some of you can lend some advice.

I am buying a puppy from a registered breeder (found through Dogzonline) who is located in New Zealand.

We have been in regular contact, via phone and email.

Just wondering if there is anything I should be asking for or aware of in this situation? Given it is quite a sum of money, and the fact that I have never met this breeder in real life, I am starting to feel a little bit nervous!

Thanks.

Just as long as you are sure this breeder has good dogs - has done all/any relevant health checks of the parents  ! Also, I guess you've researched  the breeder's prefix name/other dogs which may have been shown/used for breeding etc .  regular contact is a good thing !!.

Will the breeder support you after you get the pup - be available to chat /email if you have questions ? :)

I hope you have also discussed what happens if the pup arrives ill - or has some hereditary problem ?

Edited by persephone

I can't really offer advice except for good luck.

I have actually considered doing the same thing and if I did I would fly over to NZ for a couple of days when it's time for puppy to come home, so I could meet the breeder, check over the puppy and chaperone them home. It isn't that expensive or far to NZ these days and considering the investment already made both in terms of money and hoping for a top notch puppy with good type, heatlh and temperament, I feel the cost of going over at least once would cheap insurance of sorts.

Hi all,

Hoping some of you can lend some advice.

I am buying a puppy from a registered breeder (found through Dogzonline) who is located in New Zealand.

We have been in regular contact, via phone and email.

Just wondering if there is anything I should be asking for or aware of in this situation? Given it is quite a sum of money, and the fact that I have never met this breeder in real life, I am starting to feel a little bit nervous!

Thanks.

Is it possible for you to fly to NZ? If you're happy with the breeder and the pup she's chosen for you, you could fly the pup home with you. It would probably not cost much more than having the pup air freighter to you sight unseen. That's the option I would take.

I got a pup from NZ last year, sight unseen and have never met the breeder face to face. Absolutely no problems at all. However I have followed this breeder and their dogs for years and had some good references, and they were also given good references for me so they were happy to sell to me.

Have a look on the AQIS website to see what the requirements are re vaccination etc. There is no quarantine between Australia and NZ but there are specific requirements. Make sure the puppy is microchipped. You might also talk to some of the pet transport companies/airlines - including the one that will be transporting your pup and ask about the requirements.

As far as asking questions of the breeder, I would ask whatever questions you would ask of a breeder here as well.

I assume you have built up enough of a relationship with the breeder over time to establish their credentials and ethics.

Good luck

I have imported dogs from overseas, UK and Europe, the two kennels were and still are right up there for breeding top winning stock.

With the first one from the UK my husband and I were doing a trip to Ireland and UK to see his relatives so we timed it that the puppy we eventually brought in was around nine months, we went and visited the breeder and her dogs and spent a wonderful afternoon getting to know our boy.

With the second one the reputation of this kennel was well known amongst our breed.

I would take a trip to NZ for a couple of days prior to the puppy leaving, pay them then as I did with my first, in cash if you are really satisfied with the puppy, it is a very expensive exercise.

dogs can only travel using a company

One would presume you now all about there dogs.lines,health testing & what there lines produce regularly & you have told them what you are hoping to achieve by selecting there kennel & above all what you are after & why you think there dogs best suit .

Importing is a risk just like buying locally ,no guarantee it will turn out so it becomes an more expensive deal.

Our first import we where sent a total lemon way to big so couldn't be shown .

I guess the main thing to ask yourself is can i only buy what i want from NZ or can i get it in Australia & if i can buy Australia what does this kennel have to offer that is better .

Importing is a risk & can be an expensive one ,if you don't trust the person at the other end then think twice if you do trust them & its only a pup then the risks apply if you breed it yourself to run on

The cost of importing a puppy from New Zealand isn't much more than the cost of flying one interstate. (At least to North Queensland). As long as you trust the Breeder and have done your research in terms of temperament and health you should be fine.

I never met my current Dogs parents (even though they are in the same state as me) but I knew the lines and trusted the Breeder to make the right choices and I have never been happier with a dog. Touchwood he has no health problems down the line as he is still a puppy but I am more than happy with my choice of Breeder and the Pup he chose for me.

Has the breeder sent Dogs from Nz to Aus before? If so they should be up to date with any extra guidelines etc.

(Formerly Lulusuki). I have often bought dogs from the North Island ,not quite the same, I know .As many have said, if possible I would fly to NZ. I bought Lulu 5 yrs ago from a well known breeder of Jap. Spitz.We spoke many times ,but I obviously did not do enough research .When she arrived she was just beautiful....but no way was she a purebred spitz.I had a male show JS so knew exactly what to look for. Long story short ,many phone calls later it was agreed she could be part Pom.To avoid legal action she offered me another pup ,but by then,several weeks later ,we both loved her.Also had to pay expenses to fly her back. I learned a hard lesson as she was $1400 + expenses.I would never buy again sight unseen.I think the only requirement to fly to Oz is a full vet check 48 hours before flying.Good luck,I'm sure it will be fine. :)

Not to derail this thread, but does anyone know if there are restrictions on pups flying direct on long flights from New Zealand? I heard they recently changed the rule so small puppies cannot fly under six months. Anyone know if this is true?

• 1 month later...

Just following up on this. Everything went well, expectations exceeded, and am the new proud parent of a little Frenchy. I am in love!

Hmmm well, I demand to see some photos :thumbsup: :D

PS. I am really glad that everything went well :)