Dog Rocks

Ranga

Dear Ranga,

I use them,

they work

no side effects

make sure they are the proper 'Dog Rocks' the others don't work as long

and...

feel the bag and get the big ones, that way in 3-->4 months when they have lost their effectiveness you can bash them with a hammer and use the smaller/broken bits

From a tight-ar$e thrifty person

feel the bag and get the big ones, that way in 3-->4 months when they have lost their effectiveness you can bash them with a hammer and use the smaller/broken bits

From a tight-ar$e thrifty person

:laugh:

So, breaking them allows you to get longer out of them? :confused:

Oh I'm going to try that! I would think because the minerals leech out, the more surface area you expose to water, the more leeching. So you start off with a couple of big ones, let them work like that, then smash them to expose extra rock surface area.

We recently started using them, I haven't noticed any more brown spots in the lawn, but still waiting for some old ones to come good.

Dog Rocks are literally money for rocks.

The "science" behind them is more dodgy than a Jenny McCarthy convention on vaccines and the fine print on the website backs that up.

If you're having trouble with urine burns on the grass, the easiest way to fix it is to hose down that area after your dog has used it (to dilute the urine).

We are renting at the moment with 11 dogs in a very small area (about 8mx3m) the patches started to appear almost instantly and there were destroying the lawn. have been using the rocks for about 2months now and it is now where near perfect, still get some patches, but heaps better than it was and at least looks green again instead of brown.

It is quite interesting. The rocks are Zeolite and it is supposed to convert nitrogen which along with ammonia in urine is very strong. They seem to say it converts nitrogen in water, but tap water has no traceable nitrogen that I can find when I test it with aquarium test kits - especially as nitrogen is deadly to fish?? So this conversion must happen internally within the dog.

They say it doesn't affect PH levels which I would agree (at least from a water parameter perspective) but where does this conversion of nitrogen in urine take place, if not from the stomach or bladder and what does the nitrogen convert to? Nitrogen won't simply disappear it must be converted to something.

Zeolite is used in aquaria extensively for improving water quality so there may be some aspect of improvement but it doesn't quite make sense to me, especially as you want these harmful toxins removed from the body by way of urine.

The manufacturers state that this doesn't work well in dogs fed raw or high protein. So it is all a bit confusing to me and something I decided against especially as my boy is fed raw.

I does seem to have positive reports from many users so I do not doubt that it works, but I personally would like more information on the effect of changing the water chemistry on my dogs system before I decided to use it.

Anyway, this needs a more scientific mind than mine to evaluate :D

Edited by Yonjuro

My dog burns the grass. Because of his long-standing digestive issues and sensitivities, I'm VERY cautious about ANYTHING I give him to eat or drink and probably because I've put in so much time and research, I'm aware of the alkaline/acidity balance that dogs need for proper digestion - especially of things such as bones. All of this has brought me to ponder on what we're doing by altering pH levels for the sake of our lawns ???? We say "there's no side effects" but is that the truth? Is it possible that we are actually altering something that is not obvious and perhaps for some dogs doesn't show up to us at all, but may play a part in something obscure further down the track?

Just something I think about. I'm very cautious about altering something nature has prescribed.

I'll stick to my burnt patches on the lawn (and yes, I hated seeing the damage especially when I'd had turf laid and my yard was close to 'perfect', but hey .... I've got over it and I just patch the burnt areas. It doesn't look so prestige anymore, but what the heck) and just let things be as they are.

I tried them, but the dogs actually remove them from the water bowls!

Same here temperamentfirst. Both my guys kept taking them out of the water bowls :)

I made the rocks smaller & they did leave them in but I saw no improvement in our lawn. We just returf our back lawn every year as it is pretty much worn out & just doesn't recover after winter.

I don't find Dog Rocks ideal because they don't want you changing water daily, it says every 2nd day. I refresh my dogs water twice a day as a minimum due to slobber.

We've tried them but they weren't right for us.