Concrete Dog Bowls

Steph M

I get a galvanised bucket (no fun to drag) and chain it firmly to a post or chain link fence. I use a slightly smaller plastic bucket as an insert. Only ever had one crazy who removed the plastic insert. laugh.gif

Those large elliptical enamelled ice buckets that were in the cheapie stores everywhere a while back are great too.

Edited by RuralPug

You could also get a "sand" clam. My dogs are happy to drink out of water they have sat in.

I have previously dug a bucket 3/4 into the ground; pretty hard to pick up when full - only for large dogs that can't fall in and can reach into it to drink.

Spot on Pots in Ballarat will make you one or there are small cattle troughs about in some of the stock food places.

As you can tell, I have the same problems as you do!

Edited to add - if you put a splash of cider vinegar in the water it will stop the algae from growing - also good for the dogs and mine really like it!

Edited by JRG

Gus makes a great game of wallowing in his shell pool and it always ends up empty and dragged around the yard. We did have two and one had the bottom caved in somehow, I don’t know what they get up to of a day but that’s certainly out!

We put them away when we aren’t home, they’re beasts.

We’ve tried galvanised buckets and they make an AWESOME noise when dragged around, and I worry they get too warm too quick.

That and we don’t have a post to chain it to, really. I am not game to chain it to the tap…haha.

I thought about the pots with holes filled in, but someone mentioned the glaze etc might not be great for them? I don’t know to be honest, you can go mad reading the net.

Spot on Pots is a fab tip! Long way but might have to bite the bullet and do the drive, they look awesome! Will grab a few I think, we have a huge metal bowl in the kitchen but might pop one out the front to share with the birdies and local cats. Haha.

You could make your own concrete bowl.

There are a couple of How to's on the web.

Daddy of puppy made a rectangle-shaped bowl some years ago.

When he is back home, I am going to ask him his methods.

That tip of apple cider in their water is great as well.

:)

I have a very large plastic bucket sunk half way into the ground...impossible to move when full

How do you manage cleaning it,sheena?

Horrible Herbert is completing a degree in engineering.

The dirt and mud that flies over the back yard finds its way into any containers.

:eek:

Do you have any of those concrete statue places near you? They often have dog bowls. Or try a farm type shop for something more sturdy. An old butlers sink might also work.

ETA: I have a shallow concrete type bird bath/water garden pot that mine love to drink out of. Just from a nursery or Bunnings.

Edited by JulesP

Do you have any of those concrete statue places near you? They often have dog bowls. Or try a farm type shop for something more sturdy. An old butlers sink might also work.

A wee bit OT.... I would love one of those butler's sink for my kitchen.

In the UK, my brothers' homes have them in their respective kitcens.

Great!

:thumbsup:

You could just use a normal large ceramic dog bowl and concrete it to a paving stone roughly 25cm x 25cm - this way you will still be able to empty it or clean it. I would be hesitant to use a concrete bowl from the nursery as they generally will leach minerals for quite a long time. I tested the ph level of water from a concrete bowl in the garden and the alkalinity skyrocketed. Having said that the alkalinity of my tap water is already 7.6 so the concrete just pushed it off the chart. If your tap water is neutral (7) or slightly acidic (<7) then I don't think you would have an issue. Having said that I have never seen neutral tap water :)

I use a bowl like this one, and think they would make a good one to concrete to a paver.

post-49154-0-79217800-1413947325_thumb.jpg

I have a very large plastic bucket sunk half way into the ground...impossible to move when full

How do you manage cleaning it,sheena?

Horrible Herbert is completing a degree in engineering.

The dirt and mud that flies over the back yard finds its way into any containers.

:eek:

I just pull it out of it's hole, tip it out & clean it. It stands about 10 inches out of the ground, so not much rubbish gets in there. The dogs seem to like a bit of algae. If I make it too clean, they go off & drink the stinking water out of the fountain, which is usually full of camelia flowers etc. Even though I have put wire over it, they still seem to be able to get to it.

I just pull it out of it's hole, tip it out & clean it. It stands about 10 inches out of the ground, so not much rubbish gets in there. The dogs seem to like a bit of algae. If I make it too clean, they go off & drink the stinking water out of the fountain, which is usually full of camelia flowers etc. Even though I have put wire over it, they still seem to be able to get to it.

Have to LOL at this. We used to have a feral pond with a fountain in a fenced off area of the yard at our previous house. Without fail my old boys would go there for a drink when they were allowed in to that area. In terms of drinking options it was incredibly high value to them.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-to-make-concrete-bowls-and-planters/

http://www.buzzfeed.com/pippa/concrete-diy-5ocb

A good mould is two styrafoam boxes, one smaller then the other so there is a reasonable gap between the two. Get yourself some non toxic waterproofing or paint suitable for aquariums and water tanks when you're done to ensure nothing leaches out of the bowl into the water and the water doesnt just ooze out.