Regurging Saliva - Not Sure Of Vet Diagnosis

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

I took Bon to the vet on Friday as she (for the last week or so) has these regurg episodes (mainly saliva, never yellow bile or vomit, sometimes small amount of food) and it was a different guy. It can be multiple episodes on my tiles mainly after eating but not always. She's also a big reverse sneezer and makes funny burp sounds when eating.

He stood there looking at her saying 'she doesn't look sick', didn't take temp but gave antibiotics for a week saying it's most likely a gastric parasite. I felt bad for bringing my not sick dog in!!!

To me it seems a strange diagnosis for my problem and today she still had a regurg episode.

I would have guessed it's an oesphageal issue but I'm no vet.

Anyone know more about regurgitation and should I visit another vet?

Edited by donatella

What age is Bon, donatella? I am sorry I don't know.

Regurgitation can be a sign of megaesophagus.

Are there any other changes?

Any food/diet changes been made prior to this might have some bearing.

Nothing stressing Bon?

A Vet telling me that sounds a tad nonchalant. I want serious AND I deffo' want temperatures taken if a script for antibiotics are given out.

At the least, I might consider speaking to my regular Vet.

:)

Guest donatella

She is 2. Nothing new in change except she could lose a few kgs so is now on science hills weightloss dry I think it is. I went away last weekend but mum stayed so she would have been comfortable.

Yes the whole thing was absurd and I left feeling like the issue was still unresolved and certainly not something that abs will fix. I will do the course of abs then try another vet I

Honestly I would not give antis to a dog in that instance. They could create a problem with the slaughter of good gastric bacteria for no gain.

See another vet, or even the original vet (if you need to go back to the same clinic insist to reception that you don't wan't to see Vet X. They should be able to accommodate you.)

If you are unsure are timid about speaking up (I was brought up to be respectful of my elders and professionals and it took me a LONG time to learn to demand explanations of things I was not sure about) then it is really important that you have the utmost confidence in your vet.

Yes this does sound like it could be an oesophageal problem - common causes of regurgitation include megaoesophagus, oesophagitis, oesophageal foreign body or oesophageal stricture. In a young healthy dog with a sudden onset of regurgitation I would be concerned about a foreign body, although it does sound like oesophagitis could be possible in this case.

Either way, IMO the vet has performed a completely insufficient work up and I would see another vet ASAP. Oesophageal disease can be pretty painful and have serious consequences like aspiration pneumonia or nasal cavity infection so definitely seek a second opinion.

She is 2. Nothing new in change except she could lose a few kgs so is now on science hills weightloss dry I think it is. I went away last weekend but mum stayed so she would have been comfortable.

Yes the whole thing was absurd and I left feeling like the issue was still unresolved and certainly not something that abs will fix. I will do the course of abs then try another vet I

That young? Poor baby.

When was the Dry food started? Before or after this issue started?

Agree with Rural Pug and brightstar*.

Until there is a confirmed diagnosis/evidence of infection, maybe withhold the antibiotics.

Too hit & miss .

Edited by VizslaMomma

Guest donatella

This is a small vet I'll probably go to a whole nother practice.

The dry food was started on the day of the visit, he recommended weightloss food and we walked out with the bag.

I was expecting an anti reflux or something along those lines.

She's very happy, livey, food obsessed and within herself. Might have to revisit but another vet!

Guest donatella

She's 3.4kg last time we were weighed it was 2.9kg :o so not good at all. Strict diet happening here because in anycase that weight is not ideal

Edited by donatella

• 4 weeks later...
Guest donatella

So now she's coughing at night, a honk like cough. Freaking out about collapsed trachea I call another vet who thinks kennel cough and it all fits the bill, the regurg is egg like slimey consistentcy. she hasn't been vaxd since her first year (2 now) as I was going to triannually vax. We don't go far and certainly haven't been to dog parks, where could the KC come from?

I am taking her to an after hour vet when I get home to get a diagnosis

I hope they do NOT vax a dog who is ill - or may be incubating a virus!!! bad practice if they do.

The 'regurgitaion' and the kennel cough could well be two separate issues .. with teh regurgitation - what does she do ..put her head down, and it runs out - does she have a throat spasm - does she cough- do her neck or belly muscles move?

Guest donatella

It's generally involuntary, she'll be running, spew and keep going. There isn't a thoat into it. As for the belly movement I can't see much past the fur.

Guest donatella

Ok update. So the emerge vet was lovely, ruled out heart problems and put her on doxycycline for 14 days and a 100ml bottle of $75 cough syrup which I don't know I'll use she doesn't cough enough to warrant it. I think potentially thinking collapsed trachea if the abs don't clear the symptoms which we'll need to X-ray for. He did say there isn't much you do for it in an otherwise fit and we'll dog but monitor so hoping not in any case