Eczema

terrace

Our Staffy has severe itching daily, i think it is called (Eczema?). Would someone give some advice where they have had success in solving the problem please? :)

Also could you tell me where the user control panel is please?

Edited by terrace

Our Staffy has severe itching daily, i think it is called (Eczema?). Would someone give some advice where they have had success in solving the problem please? :)

Also could you tell me where the user control panel is please?

go to the Health / Nutrition / Grooming forum Terrace and read this topic here--> http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/254792-o-m-g-calendula-tea-rinse/ :thumbsup:

I think you need to do a little more investigation with your vet to find a long term solution as there are many different causes of itching.

Bacterial infection

Yeast infection

Allergy- food, fleas, pollens, grass, dust mites

Does your staffy have red skin, fur loss? Does it change with seasons? Where on the body is he itchy? How doe you know he is actually itchy- what behaviours is he showing.

The calendula tea rinse might help to manage the symptoms but if it is a bacterial infection then a course of antibiotics will get down to the bottom of the problem.

Skin is difficult but with a little more information and investigation you will have a much better understanding of the situation and how to resolve it.

..gosh - itches have so many causes ..... as said - allergies to anything from pollen to food colourings... itching can also be a symptom of the presence of mites ... It can be caused by a reaction to flea bites , shampoo, or by a condition which makes skin extra dry, or maybe too oily ... Find a good vet /dermatologist - and get it properly looked at :)

At the top right of the page you'll see your user name, clicking on that brings up a menu. Is that what you're after?

Yes that`s it, but i`m trying to see if i`m notified of replies to my posts. I haven`t had any notifications by email yet. :)

Your first point of call is finding out what makes your dog itchy.

Where is your dog itchy?

If it is all over, it is possibly a diet issue or if it is mainly on the tummy/legs area, it could be a contact issue.

Once you have an idea of what 'might' be making the dog itchy then you can tackle the itch.

Check your yard for plants that often make dogs itchy, like wandering dew, what sort of grass do you have in the backyard?

Is the dogs bedding natural fibre or some sort of synthetic stuff that may be contributing to the itching?

What do you feed the dog?

Commercial kibble, raw diet, canned food?

In the mean time (check with vet first) you could give an antihistamine tablet each day (something like Claratyne, Polarmine (my preference) from the chemist) - my old SBT used to get 1 polaramine tablet a day, every day.

If it is a contact allergy, put a t-shirt on the dog so its tummy isn't coming into contact with what ever it is. Or remove what is making the dog itchy (if you can).

If it is more all over and you suspect a diet related issue, change to a grain free diet - feeding raw is probably the best move.

I use Vets All Natural - it is already mixed up and he gets a half a chicken carcass of a morning and the VAN of a night. He also gets a good bone to chew on a couple of times a week.

Some allergies can only be managed - you do what you can to avoid the dog coming in contact with the problem.

Staffys generally don't have a user control panel, pretty much do what they want.

Seriously though itchy skin can be food or contact allergens. Infections are common and often they can't be cured but rather managed.

Huh?

post-39771-0-43541700-1414706022_thumb.gif