Slow Feeder Bowls?

Shelb74

I've got one of the slow down bowls and I'd say it takes my boy maybe a minute to finish eating.

I've taken to scatter feeding kibble over the patio area so he has to look for the food. Now takes about 10 minutes on the patio or 20 minutes on the grass in the back yard.

I was starting to think my boy was the only vacuum dog that wasn't slowed down by a slow feeder bowl. Obie is a whippet vacuum too and I took to scattering his food because the slow feeder bowl didn't slow him up at all. I also still feed two of my dogs near each other but only when I am standing in between, Obie learned easily not to go past me to the other bowl.

Edited to add there is a dusty slow feeder bowl in my cupboard if you want it.

Edited by Flippy Dog

Save your money on the slow feeding bowls and use a muffin tin if you must. Otherwise, try frozen chicken wings/necks as already suggested or if feeding dry, I just grab the dog's portion (be it 1/2 a cup or whatever) and throw it in the grass -- takes forever for them to sniff it out!!

Save your money on the slow feeding bowls and use a muffin tin if you must. Otherwise, try frozen chicken wings/necks as already suggested or if feeding dry, I just grab the dog's portion (be it 1/2 a cup or whatever) and throw it in the grass -- takes forever for them to sniff it out!!

I mostly use treat balls for dry food, but mix it up by scattering it in the grass some days... Until this morning when I noticed the birds descend on my lawn and take off with part of Luna's breakfast!

Thanks everyone.

I seem to have solved the problem (for now) by feeding the guzzler pup outside and the big dog inside then closing the door between them. He still eats faster than she does, but we don't let him in until she's completely finished and walked away from her bowl, and I think the fact that he's now finding an empty bowl has encouraged him to saver his own dinner for a bit longer.... :)

I use Kong Wobblers for my dogs' dry food- mind you I bought them super cheap and on free shipping from the US. For puppies I also like to put their food in something from the recycling box....cardboard boxes, clean milk bottles etc. Makes a mess but you do end up with a sleepy puppy!

That's a great suggestion.

I had the Kongs already and got Horrible Herbert his own one.

Not sure why but he has never been interested in them.

Yet he tends to be a food freak.

Must be a solution somewhere.

:o

Ernie cannot be bothered with Kongs. I've tried the wobbler, the one with the x in it, the ridged one and the traditional. I have over $100 worth of designer expert landfill.

He likes a frozen black banana - takes him about 20 minutes and worth it for the look of pain the brain freeze causes (revenge BWAHAHA); and I scatter kibble.

Anything requiring the slightest bit of work for his food gets the big stupid eyes and a heartfelt sigh.

Too scared to try the pet maze things or the pet treat game thingies; I worry they'd end up as lawn decorations along with the kongs.