Summer Coat Clip

Stressmagnet

Hi

I've owned labs before but in Canada where the temperature is vastly different. In a few internet groups I've read of lab owners getting their dogs coats clipped for summer. Is this something that will make Ernie's life better in the scorching heat? Or is this propaganda?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None on my lab owning friends have ever clipped their dog's coats and we live up here in tropical Queensland. I thought their coats were designed to deal with a variety of temperate conditions. I'm sure someone like Tapua might come into this thread and share her vast knowledge on the breed's needs.

No need to clip the coat. For one, it would be difficult to clip a Lab's coat - it is already a short haired breed. Dog's coats also serve as protection against the elements including sun and the heat. If you clip it especially in an already short haired dog you will lose that protection/insulation and the dog may get sunburned and will have no protection against the heat.

The best way to keep your dog cool in the summer is:

* Make sure they have plenty of fresh cool water available

* Groom them regularly - getting rid of dead hair and improving air flow through the coat to the skin helps them to better regulate their temperature and prevents hot spots

* Don't exercise them heavily in the heat - exercise early in the morning or later in the evening, and if it is still hot don't run them too hard

* Have somewhere cool for them during the hottest part of the day - either inside under aircon or if outside, somewhere shady where they can spread out to keep cool

* You can provide a small 'swimming pool' using a kids clam shell pool or similar for them to lie in

* You can provide ice blocks for them to lick

Don't know much about Lab's coats, but I would never get my BC's coats clipped unless it was a medical emergency like a tick attack. It will ruin a double coated dog's coat & leaves them susceptible to allergies :(

That's sort of what I figured. I have a clamshell pooll for him all ready to go, a kennel in a shady spot and of course, he's welcome inside -- but we don't have air conditioning. I could see if he was an arctic breed then sure - clip him. But I reckon his coat will protect him from sunburn and the kiddy wading pool should to the rest.

Thank you!

Edited by Stressmagnet

I clip a few labs and like breeds/coats. Many people will say the coat protects against the heat and cold alike. That may well be the case, but these are pet dogs not tied out on tundra or working freezing waters. The owners I offer this service to think it's great because it means for them that the dog is inside the house more part of the family instead of turfed out because of shedding etc. Yes I know thorough grooming will reduce shedding, but the owners of these dogs swear their dogs are much happier, and the shedding is vastly reduced. I always warn people looking for this service that once you start doing it, you usually need to keep doing it, and in some dogs, the coat may not grow back properly. If you go down this track then you need to go short. You can't really do a half trim like you can on a fluffy long coat. I get smacked for expressing this opinion, but I have a lot of really happy dogs and owners, and at the end of the day, it is a first world problem not the end of the known universe if a Labrador gets shaved.

Edited by GrufLife

I figure that if my Lab can survive the summer we had over a week of near or over 40 degree heat with all her fur on, then I'm not about to clip her - no air-con here either.

I must admit that she was inside with the shades drawn and the ceiling fans on high during the worst of the days' heat, and I supplied a clam shell pool for her bathing pleasure when I got home from work...

T.

That's sort of what I figured. I have a clamshell pooll for him all ready to go, a kennel in a shady spot and of course, he's welcome inside -- but we don't have air conditioning. I could see if he was an arctic breed then sure - clip him. But I reckon his coat will protect him from sunburn and the kiddy wading pool should to the rest.

Thank you!

I echo Kavik's advice - don't clip him

Even if you had an 'arctic' breed you wouldn't clip them as their coat is insulation from heat and cold. Just follow common sense: don't walk them in the heat of the day, provide shade and fresh water.

Thank you!

I echo Kavik's advice - don't clip him

Even if you had an 'arctic' breed you wouldn't clip them as their coat is insulation from heat and cold. Just follow common sense: don't walk them in the heat of the day, provide shade and fresh water.

Exactly, with correct management shaving is never required.

I have a husky and many think wow they must get super hot in summer. I do everything that Kavik listed and that is all I need to do to make sure my boy is happy and comfortable. I just finished blowing out a heap of undercoat with a forced air dryer and a comb to remove more fluff. 30 minutes work and my dog looks great and there is less hair in the house, it is pretty simple to manage without going a clip. I imagine this to be far easier with short hair breeds like a lab.

The main thing is not to take them out in the heat of a 35C + day, but this is really the same for any dog.

Each to their own I suppose, but no clipping for me.

If people feel the need to clip a dog in summer, they should take a leaf out of horse owners' books and do a low trace clip.

This takes the hair off the areas of the animal where heat is most likely to build up/dissipate but leaves coat to protect.

I'm no fan of clipping dogs to "deal with" heat but if one must....

Edited by Haredown Whippets

The only Lab owners i now that ask for it are to lazy to brush the coat & hate the fact they shed ,umm ofcourse they do,they think if they clip there will be less coat to vacuum up .

We won't clip them off & it would have to be an amazing reason to do so

I can't think of any good reason to clip a Lab

Do get as much undercoat out as you can with a decent rake or similar tool, it is the dead undercoat caught in the live hair than can cause problems, including. occasionally, overheating. A lab carrying no dead undercoat is much cooler than a lab that has been clipped.