Summer Coat Clip

Stressmagnet

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its actually very easy. You'd be amazed how much hair comes off them when clipped Steph M!

And their hair is longer than you'd think a shorthaired dog would be. Unlike a foxie or similar, their hairs are quite long.

How do you even clip a lab? Its pretty short as is...mind boggles!

you reverse clip them with a #10, completely unnecessary. I would only clip a double coated breed if it was too old to stand for proper grooming.

you reverse clip them with a #10, completely unnecessary. I would only clip a double coated breed if it was too old to stand for proper grooming.

I do them with the grain and a #7.

Other than one cocker, ive never used a 10 on the body of a dog.

when working from home i refuse- unfortunately i am not in a position to turn down dogs at my other job..

I try and persuade the owners into a deshed. Even then my boss isnt ever happy about that :(

ETA we have some exceptions to this that i dont mind clipping in that its clipping or rehoming of the dog due to an allergic partner. Id rather the have a naked hot dog whom they actively work to keep cool than a dog in a pound situation.

Edited by denali

who the hell would reverse clip ANY dog with a 10#!!! JC I have run my salon for 28 yrs now and NEVER have I rev 10# any dog! I would also never do a regular 10# on a dog unless it was a complete body cast. Most pelts come off with a 7#, not often I resort to a 10#.

I clip a few lab types , and a SC Chi reverse 7#, and a few Labs rev 4#. It is completely owners choice after an informed discussion about all the options. In every case the owners have been thrilled and in every case they have returned for another go, or many more. For what ever reason it suits these owners, who am I to deny them a happy loved well cared for pet, even if it is a bit left of centre.

Like I said before, it's a first world problem. the sun will rise & set just the same on a world with a few shaved Labradors.

PS.... go to the link in my siggie below to see some of the crap that groomers deal with every day. A couple of well cared for but shaved down Labs is the least of our troubles!

Pps....actually on second thoughts I have come to confess I lied earlier in this post. Although not a 10# I do reverse shave several dogs with a 40#. all of them are hairy hairless cresties!

Edited by GrufLife

The only time I would do a reserse #10 is for a medical reason! I have seen dogs clipped off with the grain and a #10 and they do get things like sunburn etc.

You do not need to clip a lab with a 10 against the grain to clip them off, their coat is longer than that

who the hell would reverse clip ANY dog with a 10#!!! JC I have run my salon for 28 yrs now and NEVER have I rev 10# any dog! I would also never do a regular 10# on a dog unless it was a complete body cast. Most pelts come off with a 7#, not often I resort to a 10#.

I clip a few lab types , and a SC Chi reverse 7#, and a few Labs rev 4#. It is completely owners choice after an informed discussion about all the options. In every case the owners have been thrilled and in every case they have returned for another go, or many more. For what ever reason it suits these owners, who am I to deny them a happy loved well cared for pet, even if it is a bit left of centre.

Like I said before, it's a first world problem. the sun will rise & set just the same on a world with a few shaved Labradors.

PS.... go to the link in my siggie below to see some of the crap that groomers deal with every day. A couple of well cared for but shaved down Labs is the least of our troubles!

Pps....actually on second thoughts I have come to confess I lied earlier in this post. Although not a 10# I do reverse shave several dogs with a 40#. all of them are hairy hairless cresties!

Glad im not the only one!

Love that link too. SO great, and SO true!

Labradors should never be clipped and it upsets me that groomers do this when it is so unnecessary and not good for their coats. :mad Why don't groomers advise the owners when they try to book in for a clip, that Labradors do not need clipping. They are a short haired breed with an undercoat and all they need is a quick brush/comb. They are a very low maintenance, wash and wear type of breed. If an owner cannot give them a quick brush/comb, then they don't deserve to own one.

Ok. I've bought an undercoat rake and a slicker brush and a zoom groom. That should do it, right?

I got scared offf the fancy whizzy appliances since I do NOT know what I'm doing. I steel myself to trim The Big E's nails (next week).

Bathe once a fortnight when he's stinky and leave the rest to a good groom and Mother Nature. And hope the summer is reasonable!

Labradors should never be clipped and it upsets me that groomers do this when it is so unnecessary and not good for their coats. :mad Why don't groomers advise the owners when they try to book in for a clip, that Labradors do not need clipping. They are a short haired breed with an undercoat and all they need is a quick brush/comb. They are a very low maintenance, wash and wear type of breed. If an owner cannot give them a quick brush/comb, then they don't deserve to own one.

I agree yes labs don't need clipping, but I clip some labs because after all is discussed, that is what the owner wants. I'm not going to judge an owner at the end of the day who gets the dog bathed and clipped and brings it into the house as a loved family member,instead of leaving it to get packed with undercoat, never bathed and turfed out of the home because it sheds or smells or whatever it is they think is the issue. They really love their dogs and are doing more to care for the dog than many owners.

Technically Maltese or shihtzu or loads of other breeds etc should not/ don't need clipping either, but no one ever gets up in arms about them being shaved.

I agree yes labs don't need clipping, but I clip some labs because after all is discussed, that is what the owner wants. I'm not going to judge an owner at the end of the day who gets the dog bathed and clipped and brings it into the house as a loved family member,instead of leaving it to get packed with undercoat, never bathed and turfed out of the home because it sheds or smells or whatever it is they think is the issue. They really love their dogs and are doing more to care for the dog than many owners.

Technically Maltese or shihtzu or loads of other breeds etc should not/ don't need clipping either, but no one ever gets up in arms about them being shaved.

well said Gruflife

That's a bit harsh, the OP was simply asking for advice.

Well said Gruflife.

Ok. I've bought an undercoat rake and a slicker brush and a zoom groom. That should do it, right?

I got scared offf the fancy whizzy appliances since I do NOT know what I'm doing. I steel myself to trim The Big E's nails (next week).

Bathe once a fortnight when he's stinky and leave the rest to a good groom and Mother Nature. And hope the summer is reasonable!

Yup those should do the trick. thumbsup1.gif

You will find that if you get all that dead undercoat out (it will take a while the first time and you won't believe how much hair comes out LOL) and keep up with a quick but thorough brush every other day, that he won't smell as much so you won't need to do a full bath that often - just a wipe over with a damp washcloth or unscented baby wipe keeps them sweet between baths as long as all that mattress fluff dead undercoat is gone. :)

Wanted to thank you for all perspectives brought into this thread. Especially those who posted as groomers for sticking their heads up above the parapet and risking being shot at!

The love and concern for the dog's well being shines through in every post.

As a first time lab owner in a tropical climate, I wanted to ask because honest to god - I don't know. I'm grateful for the differing opinions and I certainly won't be judging ANYONE for clipping their dog. I'm not a perfect dog owner; I have my idiosyncrasies and my slip ups and my weird preferences.

I sincerely asked because all my Labradors in the past have lived through 9 months of MINUS 20-30 C and had 3 months of (maybe) 30 degrees C in the summer. Here, the hot weather has the bigger chunk of the year, and I wasn't sure if there were reasons to clip your Lab of which I was ignorant.

Do you clip your lab in summer? Great, you are doing what you think is best.

Are you a groomer clipping that dog? Again, sounds like those of you who groom do a damn fine job when asked to do so and take care of your charges.

Don't clip your lab? That's great too - because you've told me why and how I need to keep Ernie happy and cool.

This summer, I won't. Should I become infirm or unable to brush him - I may clip him. Or not. But at least I'm now informed.

It's all good.

I am a groomer and don't agree with clipping certain breeds, Labs included. I explain to the owner why but if they still want to go ahead with it then I do it. Having previously operated in a high risk tick area I have clipped all manner of breeds which make me inwardly groan. Like someone else pointed out if it means they will have the dog inside then it is better for the dog. Although I don't know why ppl don't research how much their breed sheds prior to purchase. Sometimes it's just a change of circumstances too.

I have Maremmas and they live through 40+ temperatures. I don't clip them but in summer they get regular goings over with a high velocity dryer to blast out all their excess coat. It helps a great deal. They dig holes under bushes and manage to keep themselves comfortable on the hottest of days. So long as your dogs have plenty of shade and fresh water available they will be fine.