Summer Coat Clip

Stressmagnet

I have three Labs in Central Florida. It gets humid and stinking hot here for months on end. My Labs have a doggie door so can seek out the air con if they want. When I go out and come home, they are invariably outdoors, lying in a shady spot. Often they are wet . . . they have an old horse trough they can jump into. They've also dug some holes, which they lie in.

I agree with GrufLife, clipping a Lab is not the end of the world. It probably does help their energy balance. The coat will cool a dog ONLY if the air temperature is higher than a dog's body temperature . .. ie, above the century mark. Otherwise, the insulating layer of the coat it holds body heat in. Do you put on a jumper to stay cool in hot weather? A dog's coat functions just like a jumper.

One of my Labs has a very thick undercoat. I use a Furminator on her. This is more extreme than an undercoat rake in that it does actually cut a bit, and takes out some living hair as well as the dead stuff. Not sure about Oz, but in the US the Furminator is expensive in pet stores but reasonable on Amazon.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wanted to thank you for all perspectives brought into this thread. Especially those who posted as groomers for sticking their heads up above the parapet and risking being shot at!

The love and concern for the dog's well being shines through in every post.

As a first time lab owner in a tropical climate, I wanted to ask because honest to god - I don't know. I'm grateful for the differing opinions and I certainly won't be judging ANYONE for clipping their dog. I'm not a perfect dog owner; I have my idiosyncrasies and my slip ups and my weird preferences.

I sincerely asked because all my Labradors in the past have lived through 9 months of MINUS 20-30 C and had 3 months of (maybe) 30 degrees C in the summer. Here, the hot weather has the bigger chunk of the year, and I wasn't sure if there were reasons to clip your Lab of which I was ignorant.

Do you clip your lab in summer? Great, you are doing what you think is best.

Are you a groomer clipping that dog? Again, sounds like those of you who groom do a damn fine job when asked to do so and take care of your charges.

Don't clip your lab? That's great too - because you've told me why and how I need to keep Ernie happy and cool.

This summer, I won't. Should I become infirm or unable to brush him - I may clip him. Or not. But at least I'm now informed.

It's all good.

:thumbsup:

One of my Labs has a very thick undercoat. I use a Furminator on her. This is more extreme than an undercoat rake in that it does actually cut a bit, and takes out some living hair as well as the dead stuff. Not sure about Oz, but in the US the Furminator is expensive in pet stores but reasonable on Amazon.

yeah...my furminator gets a workout when my boy is blowing his undercoat. Yes, they're expensive in pet stores here too...i got mine on ebay for two thirds less than at PetStock. a couple of years ago i bought a Kong Zoom brush for the undercoat removal but i really don't like it...even when i'm washing norty brown dawg it doesn't really work. Love the Furminator though.

So a Furminator is good for a Labs coat? I should get one for my two!

I get asked so many times when people meet Ivy [Groenendael] if I shave her in Summer :mad

I wouldn't get a furminator - they have a blade and can cut the guard hair which is exactly what you don't want. I don't know much about labs but would have thought a good quality comb or a short undercoat rake to be the best bet??

I also get asked if I shave my Husky all the time and poor thing they must get so hot in summer. I have seen a couple of huskies that have grown back after a shave and it is very sad to see how 'puffy' they look - the guard hairs seem to stick straight out rather than laying over the undercoat. The two I recently saw were owned by a lovely couple that rescued them so I don't know when they might have had the shave.

I do not use or recommend furminator. Yes some folks think the sun shines from them, but they cut and damage guard hairs like Yonjuro said. I have seen so many totally messed up frazzled coats from those things. Not only do they cut off hairs, but they leave micro serations on the shaft of remaining hairs.