Ivory Coat - Does Anyone Feed It?

Dave-o

Wow.

Firstly, I never said the amount of "likes" a company had on Facebook had any relevance to the quality of the food.

If you believe a good food is one your dog "does well on", then I find that really naive. If you had no knowledge about McDonalds you'd happily feed it to your children every day because they "did well on it" and their poop was consistent?

Nope, I'm not looking to base a review on other people's opinions.

Sigh. If you think there's no more to it than poop consistency then I don't want to read a thing you've written on the topic.

What are you basing it on then, you're on here looking for opinions? I don't imagine you've tried every food you review for long enough to get a decent sample either.

On here looking for opinions but doesn't want other peoples' opinions :shrug:

"Good" ingredients don't necessarily equate to a good food and order of ingredients (and whether or not they're meals or actual meats) also make a lot of difference. Fact is, user reviews are valuable in analysing a food, even if they do have to come from us naive plebs*.

*Assuming, of course, that Dave-O would never be so terribly negligent as to try any of the foods for himself.

Edited by Maddy

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sigh. If you think there's no more to it than poop consistency then I don't want to read a thing you've written on the topic.

I didn't say that either.

I asked if anyone fed this food and what their opinions were. I wasn't after an argument, I didn't expect one, and I don't wish to participate in one.

Dave-O has no formal qualifications to be doing reviews.

Just for anyone that didn't read that info the first time around.

Oh and I need soft sloppy poos from my dog. The consistency of soft serve ice cream is ideal. This means that the food moving quickly through her system which is what she needs. If it hangs around too long then toxins start to get into her brain, which is obviously bad. This is due to her liver not doing its job of filtering.

I do like dog food reviews, but also know that they will have a slight bias towards what they personally like. However it is really helpful for easy research into ingredients lists, protein etc etc.

My dogs do not do well on a food that is highly reviewed on Pet food reviews. One dog did okay, but when switched off the food had better muscle and her coat went very dark again, I didn't relaise how light it become, one got better muscle, one stopped tearing Muscles, had MUCH better muscling, definition and fitness the last one got a MUCH nicer healthier coat, kept his weight on and has much better quality muscle and fitness.

That particular food as had the same issues with a couple of high energy dogs I know, but there are LOTS of average pet dogs doing great on it. I currently feed one they are all doing really well on that doesn't get as high reviews. I am looking for one without any poultry though, but I still want the same results.

I can't really see the value in dog food reviews anyhow. How a dog reacts to a food is such an individual thing. I mean I had a really bad result with Canidae but a heap of people thing it is the ants pants.

That's a given with any food about how the individual responds to it. Canidae All Life Stages from my research has the highest quality ingredients, this can sometimes be too rich for some dogs and because they're all individuals it may just not suit them.

tehehehe it really doesn't take someone with a Uni Degree to be able to read the ingredients on the back of the packet. Education on the topic doesn't take very long, it's not rocket science...really.

tehehehe it really doesn't take someone with a Uni Degree to be able to read the ingredients on the back of the packet. Education on the topic doesn't take very long, it's not rocket science...really.

Well teehee I do expect a uni degree from someone who wants to set up a pet food reviews website. Or they need to state on the website that it is just the opinion on a lay person.

It is totally different from us all giving our opinion on a food in here.

Well teehee I do expect a uni degree from someone who wants to set up a pet food reviews website. Or they need to state on the website that it is just the opinion on a lay person.

It is totally different from us all giving our opinion on a food in here.

I do that.

I'm sure you've heard of Dog Food Advisor? Do you know what Dr Mike's trade is? It's nothing to do with pet food... and that's the leading dog food reviews website worldwide.

It may interest you to know that the Australian Made Logo is a license that businesses purchase where 50% of the formulas ingredients must be sourced in Australia. Packaging is not a consideration so you can buy all your packaging from China or elsewhere and still qualify to use the logo and be officially registered on the website as Australian Made.

Edited by essentialdog

It may interest you to know that the Australian Made Logo is a license that businesses purchase where 50% of the formulas ingredients must be sourced in Australia. Alot of formulas consist of at least 50% water so pretty much anything on the Australian market can bear the logo without being what consumers perceive as 100% Australia made. Some products are manufactured China or elsewhere and then diluted with 50% water in Australia which still qualifies them to bear this logo. Packaging is not a consideration so you can buy all your packaging from China or elsewhere and still qualify to use the logo and be officially registered on the website as Australian Made.

LIKE button pressed.

This is the very info I prefer to know about to help make well informed sources.

Much appreciated

:)

It may interest you to know that the Australian Made Logo is a license that businesses purchase where 50% of the formulas ingredients must be sourced in Australia. Alot of formulas consist of at least 50% water so pretty much anything on the Australian market can bear the logo without being what consumers perceive as 100% Australia made. Some products are manufactured China or elsewhere and then diluted with 50% water in Australia which still qualifies them to bear this logo. Packaging is not a consideration so you can buy all your packaging from China or elsewhere and still qualify to use the logo and be officially registered on the website as Australian Made.

What!? Seriously???

Given that this thread is about Ivory Coat, are you suggesting that their Australian Made claim is not what we would hope?

Not sure where you are getting this from but it is not correct. It is kind of mashing together the criteria under the Code of Practice (COP) for use of the AMAG Logo and the Australian Consumer Law.

Under the AMAG COP - the criteria to use the Australian Made Logo is that the product is substantially transformed in Australia and at least 50 per cent of the cost of production has been incurred in Australia. Under the COP, it specifically states that the process of reconstitution (i.e.) adding water back in is not substantial transformation therefore the water is to be considered as if it was water from the same country as the product you are reconstituting.

The AMAG logos are just a certification that business can apply for to include on their products.

However - under the Australian Consumer Law there are guidelines from the ACCC regarding country of origin labelling that everyone must adhere to regardless. So for example, water used for reconstitution would be considered as water from the place of reconstitution (i.e Australia) - but you would have to label the product on back of pack as Made in Australia from local and imported ingredients (or imported and local ingredients depending on percentages).

If you are interested in learning more then the ACCC has a guidance document on country of origin labelling, the COP from AMAG is readily available on line and just this week the House of Representative's Green Paper on Country of Origin labelling has been released - all 167 pages of it.

Not sure where you are getting this from but it is not correct. It is kind of mashing together the criteria under the Code of Practice (COP) for use of the AMAG Logo and the Australian Consumer Law.

Under the AMAG COP - the criteria to use the Australian Made Logo is that the product is substantially transformed in Australia and at least 50 per cent of the cost of production has been incurred in Australia. Under the COP, it specifically states that the process of reconstitution (i.e.) adding water back in is not substantial transformation therefore the water is to be considered as if it was water from the same country as the product you are reconstituting.

The AMAG logos are just a certification that business can apply for to include on their products.

However - under the Australian Consumer Law there are guidelines from the ACCC regarding country of origin labelling that everyone must adhere to regardless. So for example, water used for reconstitution would be considered as water from the place of reconstitution (i.e Australia) - but you would have to label the product on back of pack as Made in Australia from local and imported ingredients (or imported and local ingredients depending on percentages).

If you are interested in learning more then the ACCC has a guidance document on country of origin labelling, the COP from AMAG is readily available on line and just this week the House of Representative's Green Paper on Country of Origin labelling has been released - all 167 pages of it.

Apologies if I am incorrect as I didn't mean to alarm anyone. However when I went to apply for the 'Made in Australia' logo for a cosmetic product,they gave me a worksheet to fill out. When I spoke to AM for assistance, I asked about packaging and they said they don't count packaging or labour costs as a criteria for compliance. I found that quite off putting and didn't think it was worth going ahead getting a licence for the logo.

As I am not a lawyer, I find the Code of Practice set out by Australian Made a little confusing. However, there are 6 different categories each with different compliance criteria. For example the 'Australian Made' compliance criteria is far less stringent than compliance criteria for 'Product of Australia'. What I know is what I was told by Australian Made is in order to comply one only has to use 50% Australian ingredients in order to comply with the code and bear the 'Australian Made' symbol and thought it was important for people to know this.

Edited by essentialdog

Given that this thread is about Ivory Coat, are you suggesting that their Australian Made claim is not what we would hope?

I'm talking about any Australian Made logo. To me 50% Australian made is not Australian made.

I'm talking about any Australian Made logo. To me 50% Australian made is not Australian made.

You are overlooking it is a 2 prong test - 50% AND substantial transformation. That makes it Australian Made - it is a product of the Australian manufacturing industry.

If you want more than that then you want Product of Australia or Australian Grown as that is about the significant ingredients being Australian.

There are simply many ingredients that Australia does not grow/ produce at all or in quantities to support manufacturing.

As the owner of Ivory Coat Companion Goods, I’d like to clarify the position of Ivory Coat, given the inference by Essential Dog that our products may not be substantially Australian, given this thread is about Ivory Coat.

Ivory Coat Grooming Products are Australian made, we have a facility here in Australia where they are made from scratch using ingredients sourced in Australia, we even ensure that our bottles are formed and our labels are printed in Victoria, Australia.

Our nutritional products are also made in our Australian facility from scratch. All our meats and vegetables are sourced from Victorian and New South Wales, the only imported ingredient to our products is our vitamin supplements of which make up an extremely small percentage, and only due to them not readily being available in Australia.

Further to this we have an assistance program in place to further assist Australian farmers, for which a fixed donation is made back to Aussie Helpers an exceptional charity that we have chosen to partner with.

The Australian Made logo or not, we stand by our Australian products as the best in the marketplace.

I can’t address all the miss-information on these blogs about our food products, for this we simply ask the consumers to compare our ingredients to the food they are currently feeding, we know that the educated consumer will see the benefits and can make an informed choice for their own companion.

Regards

Steven