Ivory Coat - Does Anyone Feed It?

Dave-o

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they're better known for dog shampoo, but have recently released their "super premium dog foods". It looks very good (which it should be given the price). Aussie company.

Interestingly their Facebook page has 3 times the following of Black Hawk, which is strange seeing as not many people seem to have heard of them (active marketing probably, $$$). I'm trying to gather any info I can before writing a review on Pet Food Reviews.

Edited by Dave-o

I think they're better known for dog shampoo, but have recently released their "super premium dog foods". It looks very good (which it should be given the price). Aussie company.

Interestingly their Facebook page has 3 times the following of Black Hawk, which is strange seeing as not many people seem to have heard of them (active marketing probably, $$$). I'm trying to gather any info I can before writing a review on Pet Food Reviews.

exactly why I am going to follow here.

Looking forward to your reviews.

:)

That's a bit of a ridiculous comparison, seeing that Ivory Coat also make shampoos etc & have probably been around for years. Their FB following does not necessarily mean that their food is any better than BH. I think from a previous post on this that IC works out at about $10 a kilo...so it would have to be pretty dam good to get me to stray from BH :)

Why not just try the food for yourself and review it rather than rely on other peoples' opinions?

Things like FB followers says nothing about the actual quality of the food. And as someone else mentioned, it includes potato (as third ingredient) and in terms of ingredients overall, I'd say it's well behind both BH grain free and TotW, both of which are actually priced better.

Why not just try the food for yourself and review it rather than rely on other peoples' opinions?

Things like FB followers says nothing about the actual quality of the food. And as someone else mentioned, it includes potato (as third ingredient) and in terms of ingredients overall, I'd say it's well behind both BH grain free and TotW, both of which are actually priced better.

I agree. Not much of a review if you're just going off word of mouth...

I can't really see the value in dog food reviews anyhow. How a dog reacts to a food is such an individual thing. I mean I had a really bad result with Canidae but a heap of people thing it is the ants pants.

Same for us with RC. Did not work well for us at all, but many swear by it.

I can't really see the value in dog food reviews anyhow. How a dog reacts to a food is such an individual thing. I mean I had a really bad result with Canidae but a heap of people thing it is the ants pants.

Same for us with RC. Did not work well for us at all, but many swear by it.

We had issues with BH ( of the BIG poop kind).

:o

Usually when reviews are done on a product, they are individual reviews by users & depending on whether the company deletes the unfavourable ones, which you can always tell, it can be a good place to start. But I can't see just one person doing reviews on a product they havn't even tried themselves, being a full reflection on that product..whether it is post hole shovels or dog feed. And as many have said over & over again..what some dogs do really well on, others don't :shrug: My dogs do great on Black Hawk (always have), but lose weight on TOTW.

Edited by sheena

Well I am going to disagree... I think a dog food review site is a good starting place as it examines the ingredients ,volumes and protein/fat levels etc to give you an indication of whether it is worth trying. It helps you make a short list of what you would like to feed before going down the path of trialling numerous different foods. Of course the old adage of 'the best food is what your dog does best on' is important but trialling 4-6 weeks for each food is not ideal for health or budget. I see so many dogs every day walking or going to the off lead park, and I reckon one in ten is in what I would say is 'good condition'. So anything that gives some info is a good thing in my mind.

I can't see how a side by side comparison of various foods and their make-up can be a bad thing. It is also worth remembering that not all dog owners are as well versed in canine nutrition as DOLers and will rely primarily on the kid from one of the big retail chains for a food recommendation or the vet recommending their stocked/sponsored brand.

I wouldn't expect Dave-o to trial every food on his dog either, this would be grossly negligent on his behalf, I see him asking people here who are generally more dog savvy of their opinions as a positive thing. I am guessing that Dave-o would probably choose the best food for his dog based on the info he can gather.

Anyway, I don't really have a horse in this race as I feed raw, but I still have a keen interest in what is out there and canine nutrition in general, so I say good on him for doing these reviews :)

Not having a go at anyone who reviews food, but a review is only as good as the person giving it. By that, I mean that if a site is set up as offering reputable reviews, then I want to know what background, qualifications, and connections that site/person has. If they know food and understand how ingredients actually work in the body, plus are not connected to either a pet food company or retailer, then I am all for them.

As far as Ivory Coat goes, we have some sample packs that we've been opening for customer's dogs and certainly the palatibility is excellent. Not stocking yet so no feedback to share unfortunately. But love the Australian made factor, the high quality control and the care with ingredients.

Sags

:)

Wow.

Firstly, I never said the amount of "likes" a company had on Facebook had any relevance to the quality of the food.

If you believe a good food is one your dog "does well on", then I find that really naive. If you had no knowledge about McDonalds you'd happily feed it to your children every day because they "did well on it" and their poop was consistent?

Nope, I'm not looking to base a review on other people's opinions.

This is a review of Purina Beneful by a consumer on Amazon:

This is one of the few brands of dog food that actually makes my 13 year old 100 pound rottweiler feel good. He has very sensitive skin and the high dollar "vet recommended" brands just make his skin break out and itch all over . My dog was raised on all purina products, particularly Beneful "original". The fact that he is a breed that normally lives 8-10 years and he is 13 years old speaks volumes about the diet he was raised on. He has never been to the vet for those 13 years other than for vaccinations. I highly recommend Beneful.

Sounds like a good food to me. People would definitely buy it based on that review, don't you think?

In contrast, I've had literally 100s of people email me with stories about Beneful making their dogs sick and how they wished they'd researched the food sooner. It doesn't take much to realise what a bad food that is, but most people have no idea and would happily feed it in blissful ignorance to a dog they cherish.

Wow.

Firstly, I never said the amount of "likes" a company had on Facebook had any relevance to the quality of the food.

If you believe a good food is one your dog "does well on", then I find that really naive. If you had no knowledge about McDonalds you'd happily feed it to your children every day because they "did well on it" and their poop was consistent?

Nope, I'm not looking to base a review on other people's opinions.

Sigh. If you think there's no more to it than poop consistency then I don't want to read a thing you've written on the topic.

What are you basing it on then, you're on here looking for opinions? I don't imagine you've tried every food you review for long enough to get a decent sample either.