Do You Love One Breed But Not Love A Similar Breed?

Simply Grand

I have an Australian Shepherd. Today at the park someone was talking on the phone and referred to her as a Border Collie. I didn't correct her because it doesn't matter and it would have been strange by the time she got off the phone but I found myself feeling weird that she thought I had a Border Collie :o

Aussie Shepherd was the first breed I really fell in love with when I started learning about dog breeds and I wanted one for a few years before I actually got one, and I couldn't be happier. However I don't think I'd ever want to own a Border Collie. It's not that I don't like them, they just don't appeal to me as a dog I'd like to own. I find it odd as although there are some physical and temperamental differences they really are pretty similar to Aussie Shepherds.

Anyone else have a similar thing about particular breeds?

BTW, this is just meant to be a casual, lighthearted chat thread, not about breed bashing so please don't be offensive about other breeds or take offence if someone doesn't like a breed you do like :)

Edited by Simply Grand

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love lots of breeds - certainly dominated by Gundogs - but there seems to be similar personality traits that draw me in....I've wanted a working line Irish Setter for years and finally met a breeder when I was in NZ. I could have walked away with several of her adults easily - her male was SO much like my Dally in temperament when relaxed - an absolute gentleman, very handsome but with a silly streak (unlike Zig he was very high drive when working) - and his granddaughter was JUST like Em in work mode - very intense but very soft. Her old retired girl was just divine. I was really drawn to a mother/daughter pair of Vizslas in the USA (bred for field trials) and was hooked after I handled the mother at an agility training night - she was quick but so sweet and really worked with me. I've already lined the breeder up should I ever move to the States :D I know some fully UK import working English Pointers and they are divine - would consider one of those also. I have friends with working Labs and GSPs and I love many of them as individuals but they are not for me despite the fact that they excel in my sport of choice. I also like the Welshies and working Cocker but they are not dogs I would own - not really sure why to be honest!

I don't think they are similar but as my dog is often mistaken for one - I love both GSD and Malinois, but would never own a GSD, they don't suit me as well as Mals :)

This was one of the 'similar' pairs I was thinking of. Also SBT and Amstaff or Pit Bull. It's funny when you actually get to know the breeds in question how you realise what the differences are.

SG I'm the exact same as you, I would never own a Border Collie, but love love my Aussie. He also gets called a Koolie or x and I would also never own one of them either laugh.gif I think it's the temperament, I see Aussies as the clown of the working breeds.

I like Goldens and Labradors but Flat Coats don't appeal to me.

I like Standard Poodles but not the smaller two.

I don't think they are similar but as my dog is often mistaken for one - I love both GSD and Malinois, but would never own a GSD, they don't suit me as well as Mals :)

This was one of the 'similar' pairs I was thinking of. Also SBT and Amstaff or Pit Bull. It's funny when you actually get to know the breeds in question how you realise what the differences are.

I can understand how people who aren't familiar with either mistake them, but on even looks alone if you saw a Mal side by side with a GSD it would very obvious they are different breeds! I have always loved GSDs though, ever since I was really little. But now I have experience with both breeds I know GSDs wouldn't suit me that well.

Love my working line border collies but would never go out of my way to get a kelpie (closest breed in my opinion and bred for a similar purpose). I don't see Aussies as being anything like the border collies and could never imagine wanting to own one. Although given that there are many border collie types I wouldn't touch with a barge pole so certainly couldnt contemplate an entirely different breed :laugh:

No offence intended by any comments, everyone has their own particular preferences when it comes to dogs :)

Before I joined the ranks of the dog obsessed, I could mistake an Aussie for a BC for a Toller (red bc). Oops.

And some Koolies looked like BC. Or kelpies.

I love cattle dogs. I'm not so keen on corgies (some lines of cattle dogs are becoming very like corgies), and I might consider a kelpie or a kelpie x heeler but not a BC. Need something that is a wee bit more laid back. Tho I know laid back BC exist - I've not yet met one.

People (who are not part of the dog obsessed) sometimes think my dog is a dalmation, or a german short haired pointer (ok she's got ticking), or a staffy x. But she's probably some sort of farm dog bitsa or farm bred stumpy tail.

Love my working line border collies but would never go out of my way to get a kelpie (closest breed in my opinion and bred for a similar purpose). I don't see Aussies as being anything like the border collies and could never imagine wanting to own one. Although given that there are many border collie types I wouldn't touch with a barge pole so certainly couldnt contemplate an entirely different breed :laugh:

No offence intended by any comments, everyone has their own particular preferences when it comes to dogs :)

Totally agree that Kelpies are the most similar to BCs, particularly working line. And yep, both are different to Aussies in temp. It was funny at the shelter I worked at for the last year, my colleague/friend loves the high energy, high drive working dogs, she owns two BCs and her fav shelter dog was a full on, smart as a whip Kelpie. I like the lazier, lower drive but cuddlier dogs and my fav was a big sooky Rotti.

I'm starting to look around and contemplate what breed I'd like for my next dog (when Didi is much older and less crazy!) and I've found it really weird how I've become really drawn to some breeds but others really similar either in appearance or temperament just don't do it for me. For example the pointer is at the top of my list atm if I wanted another large dog yet the GSP doesn't do much for me despite their similarities and the fact that one of the loveliest dogs I know is a GSP.

On the smaller side I am really keen on cockers, fieldies and WSS but for some reason the ESS doesn't appeal anywhere near as much as the other spaniels.

Also slightly related, while I love Didi and she suits me perfectly and I know a lot of lovely Bull Arabs I have absolutely 0 desire to own another bull arab type.