Do You Love One Breed But Not Love A Similar Breed?

Simply Grand

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had Tervs and Mals but wouldn't touch a Groen with a barge pole.

What about Laeks? smile.gif

Haven't had anything to do with them. Fostered half a dozen Groens. Meh.

Edited by Grand Duchess Rozzie

I love Mals and Laeks, but don't like the other 2 types of Belgians.

Would only ever contemplate working line Border Collies, not show or pet lines.

I love Cockers, but much prefer the working lines (although would not rule out show lines).

I don't think they are similar but as my dog is often mistaken for one - I love both GSD and Malinois, but would never own a GSD, they don't suit me as well as Mals :)

This was one of the 'similar' pairs I was thinking of. Also SBT and Amstaff or Pit Bull. It's funny when you actually get to know the breeds in question how you realise what the differences are.

I can understand how people who aren't familiar with either mistake them, but on even looks alone if you saw a Mal side by side with a GSD it would very obvious they are different breeds! I have always loved GSDs though, ever since I was really little. But now I have experience with both breeds I know GSDs wouldn't suit me that well.

You haven't experienced the "right" GSD's yet.....albeit they are hard to find, but there is not much difference between them in a working capacity and general behaviour. Having said that, my next will probably be a Malinois given the right traits in a Mal are more readily available :)

Love my working line border collies but would never go out of my way to get a kelpie (closest breed in my opinion and bred for a similar purpose). I don't see Aussies as being anything like the border collies and could never imagine wanting to own one. Although given that there are many border collie types I wouldn't touch with a barge pole so certainly couldnt contemplate an entirely different breed :laugh:

No offence intended by any comments, everyone has their own particular preferences when it comes to dogs :)

I have Kelpies but am not that interested in Border Collies :laugh:

I don't think they are similar but as my dog is often mistaken for one - I love both GSD and Malinois, but would never own a GSD, they don't suit me as well as Mals :)

I have a GSD, but I think I would get a Mal over another GSD. A working line Groen could tempt me maybe (I have heard there are some coming into Australia!), if I could do the hair lol - I do like a black dog :D

You haven't experienced the "right" GSD's yet.....albeit they are hard to find, but there is not much difference between them in a working capacity and general behaviour. Having said that, my next will probably be a Malinois given the right traits in a Mal are more readily available :)

I know some wonderful GSDs that I really admire as working dogs - still they just don't suit me as well as mals. I prefer the smaller build of Mals too.

Love Frenchies, don't love Bostons :laugh: To me they're really different, but I get asked if Sid is a Boston all the time.

On the other hand, I get approached by staffy people all the time, wanting to give Sid a cuddle and telling me they love Frenchies, but I wouldn't own a staff.

I love whippets but they've changed so much from the dog I fell in love with in just 30, years that I'm not a fan of the modern whippet I see these days in the show ring. I love the small curvy compact slightly aloof little dog, but if I tried to continue to breed that I'd certainly never win in the showring with it, and would probably be frowned upon by breeders for breeding inferior dogs.

Edited by Kirislin