Do You Love One Breed But Not Love A Similar Breed?

Simply Grand

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Love Borders. I can admire a good Aussie, but they're not for me. The clown-like nature will always lose out over the lovable yet serious one! That and I like the longer litheness over the more square body.

One day, after a few more dogs for experience, I'll get a Malinois. I love both the typical short hair and the coated Mals, but oddly enough, not the Tervs.

I've had a BC and he put me off, actually a lot that I know have put me off them so I'll stick to my Aussie. laugh.gif I also seem to really like a lot of the sighthounds! I'd love a Saluki or Afghan Hound but the more achievable would be a Greyhound because they're just gorgeous biggrin.gif

I'd also really like an ACD because they're a lot like Aussies in temperament and almost in looks in that they're both compact with a strong broad face & attitude :)

I wish people who don't understand the value of well bred purebreed dogs could read and appreciate this thread. Unfortunately I don't think many would understand that all the reasons we quote and the fact that we all love and want to live with different breeds are the reasons why pure breed dogs are valuable. Sigh.

I'm the other way around. I've had LOTS to do with Aussies as well, but there is no way I would ever live with one. I'm happy to show them and hand them back to their owners laugh.gif

For me personally, I find the Border Collie far more respectful of personal space, and are more sensible.

Edited by benshiva

I love italian greyhounds and I like whippets, but would never own a greyhound. I love saluki's but would never own other large sighthounds.

I love my golden but would never own a lab, love my boxer but would never own any other braccy breed.

I'm also partial to the scruffers these days :)

I also prefer working types compared to show lines in most breeds.

I love the shorter coated, longer legged border collies that you see in working lines but the typical show type doesn't really appeal to me.

I also like long legged athletic labs but don't like the typical short legged and stocky show type

I love Norfolk Terriers, but don't like Norwich (don't like pointy ears).

Complete opposite here Clover, if they have hairy scruff faces and pricked-up ears (and sticky-up tail) I am a complete push-over :laugh:

I'm the same as you Boronia and that's what endears me to my breed of choice the Aussie Terrier too. I love the mane, scruff, bib and prick ears; it makes for such a cute, cheeky and mischievous look!!

I love the shorter coated, longer legged border collies that you see in working lines but the typical show type doesn't really appeal to me.

I also like long legged athletic labs but don't like the typical short legged and stocky show type

Me too. I'd love to see show greyhounds run. I once asked a friend who used to have both show and racing dogs why they looked so different and he said it's because the show greyhounds are bred from coursing lines. I'd love to see them course. I wonder how much stamina and agility they'd have.

Me too. I'd love to see show greyhounds run. I once asked a friend who used to have both show and racing dogs why they looked so different and he said it's because the show greyhounds are bred from coursing lines. I'd love to see them course. I wonder how much stamina and agility they'd have.

they are different because race bred greyhounds have been bred for over 100 years now to race on race tracks and short distances. Plenty of show bred greys overseas course very successfully. Would love to do it here.

I have a miniature and toy poodles but wouldn't have a standard. I find the temperament of the standards more akin to a large gun dog (surprise surprise) and prefer the smaller poodles.

I have Whippets but wouldn't have a Greyhound. Nothing wrong with Greys, they are just a bit big for me.

Tastes vary. Reverse this statement and I'd agree . . . standard poodle and Grey, fine . . . no thanks you to mini or toy poodle or whippies.

Edited by sandgrubber

I started off saying that, while I love Tibbies, I don't love the breed that they often get confused with... Pekes. But as soon as I started typing I KNEW... sneak in here one night & pop in a Peke among the Tibbies, and by morning I'd love it to pieces. I confess when a DOLer once posted a pic of her little tribe of Pekes... I kept that pic! I'm a failure at this topic. My first sentence is a lie:) :)

Yes, I am a Saluki nut but life would be weird without an Afghan in the house. They are dudes, even if they are the second best dog in the world ;-)

Probably if you broadened the grouping out to sighthounds I'd say that I'm not a huge fan of the mediterranean sighthounds but but that's only in a "would I live with one" sense. Answer being, no.

I'm the other way around. I've had LOTS to do with Aussies as well, but there is no way I would ever live with one. I'm happy to show them and hand them back to their owners laugh.gif

For me personally, I find the Border Collie far more respectful of personal space, and are more sensible.

Ahh yes I think you've pointed out a main difference well!

I like my dogs a bit idiotic at times and overly cuddly laugh.gif

Ahh yes I think you've pointed out a main difference well!

I like my dogs a bit idiotic at times and overly cuddly laugh.gif

Take my Lab pup. He fits your criteria nicely. He got a pot plant container stuck on his head and isn't even fussed. He's just stumbling around happily, blind as a bat, smashing into things.

I think I'll take it off now.

[quote name='Stressmagnet' Take my Lab pup. He fits your criteria nicely. He got a pot plant container stuck on his head and isn't even fussed. He's just stumbling around happily, blind as a bat, smashing into things.

I think I'll take it off now.

Love it! :laugh: