Do You Love One Breed But Not Love A Similar Breed?

Simply Grand

I love the look of fluffy dogs but the fur scares me. :scared:

I think we are definitely a Dalmatian family.

Love the looks and personality. Love how individual they all are but still have that stubborn streak that tells you to get stuffed whilst they bugger off during obedience class because they just couldn't be bothered and saw something more interesting across the other side of the field. . :p

Hell yeah :thumbsup: :laugh:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the look of fluffy dogs but the fur scares me. :scared:

I think we are definitely a Dalmatian family.

Love the looks and personality. Love how individual they all are but still have that stubborn streak that tells you to get stuffed whilst they bugger off during obedience class because they just couldn't be bothered and saw something more interesting across the other side of the field. . :p

Hell yeah :thumbsup: :laugh:

Yep, here too. (hubby may get his own breed one day)

I like GSP's, and wiem's, but I don't know if I can handle a gundog drive. My girls do have drive, but it's so easy to switch off and despite all the stuff I had read, they aren't that destructive or exercise demanding.

There isn't really anything else like a dal either....

but in other breeds, I prefer Aussies over BC's (temp wise and look wise) and mini schnauzers but not any other small fluffy breed.

I have German wirehairs and like the longhaired weimeraner, wirehaired vizsla and Spinone, smooth coats don't do a lot for me. Except I quite like greyhounds :). I used to love deerhounds and wolfhounds but they're too big for me nowadays. As to small breeds, I'd have a bit of a dilemma there as I like quite a few of them.

I could never have a working line border collie to me they just seem to crazy :eek: I would love another golden but silly me told my partner that he could choose our next breed and cause he doesn't like long hair he first thought a Doberman but now wants a smaller dog so for now our next breed will be a Beagle :laugh:

What's a Rottweiler equivalent?

There is none. Rottweilers are a class of their own. :D

:rofl:

I love Rottweilers but don't like Dobes. They are not as versatile or robust. And are more aloof.

Same, Dobermans just don't seem like my type of dog

I'm the opposite. I love Dobes but have never liked Rotties. I'm not sure why and I can appreciate a nice looking Rotty but I've never wanted to own one nor met one I've really liked.

I've had 7 Dobermanns and 6 and a half Rottweilers. I was a Dobe person prior to being a Rotti person. Now I'd never go back.

And although I can absolutely appreciate and admire a lovely Dobe, I find them very similar to the Standard Poodle in temperament (yep had one of them also) and just find them too emotional, anxious and soft. and before I get jumped on I totally get that they all have different temperaments but I am making a generalised overall comparison.

Also watching Doberman movement disturbs me a bit and I don't mean it in a picky way, but they to lack elasticity in the rear.

I'm with Grumpette, definitely nowhere near as robust, easy going or versatile as the Rottweiler. Still a very handsome and majestic dog none the less :)

Edited by Starkehre

What's a Rottweiler equivalent?

There is none. Rottweilers are a class of their own. :D

:rofl:

I love Rottweilers but don't like Dobes. They are not as versatile or robust. And are more aloof.

Same, Dobermans just don't seem like my type of dog

I'm the opposite. I love Dobes but have never liked Rotties. I'm not sure why and I can appreciate a nice looking Rotty but I've never wanted to own one nor met one I've really liked.

I've had 7 Dobermanns and 6 and a half Rottweilers. I was a Dobe person prior to being a Rotti person. Now I'd never go back.

And although I can absolutely appreciate and admire a lovely Dobe, I find them very similar to the Standard Poodle in temperament (yep had one of them also) and just find them too emotional, anxious and soft. and before I get jumped on I totally get that they all have different temperaments but I am making a generalised overall comparison.

Also watching Doberman movement disturbs me a bit and I don't mean it in a picky way, but they to lack elasticity in the rear.

I'm with Grumpette, definitely nowhere near as robust, easy going or versatile as the Rottweiler. Still a very handsome and majestic dog none the less :)

Whereas, I'm the opposite, I like the fineness of the Dobie, the rottie's to chunky for me. I do have to agree though, now days there is a lot of anxieties coming through, you just have to hunt around for the ones without.

I started off saying that, while I love Tibbies, I don't love the breed that they often get confused with... Pekes. But as soon as I started typing I KNEW... sneak in here one night & pop in a Peke among the Tibbies, and by morning I'd love it to pieces. I confess when a DOLer once posted a pic of her little tribe of Pekes... I kept that pic! I'm a failure at this topic. My first sentence is a lie:) :)

I think I like most breeds.

I didn't think I liked GSPs (only because of the two that live next door - not very nice dogs) but I have since met a couple of nice ones and they have bought me around.

I am a boofhead devotee through and through. SBTs, ASTs, PBs and Frenchies (I am sure there are many more boofheads but these are my main faves) - I love them all. They don't even have to be purebreeds :)

I honestly don't think I would ever own anything but a boofhead - they are just so awesome!

I'm the opposite of you Simply Grand!!! I love BC's and want to spend my time with them; love Aussies but don't really want to have to live with one!!

To be honest there aren't a lot of breeds I like (as in I want to have spending lots of time in my life), however I can appreciate why others like them and want to live with them. And for me, anything fluffy has a distinct advantage over smooth coats!

I started off saying that, while I love Tibbies, I don't love the breed that they often get confused with... Pekes. But as soon as I started typing I KNEW... sneak in here one night & pop in a Peke among the Tibbies, and by morning I'd love it to pieces. I confess when a DOLer once posted a pic of her little tribe of Pekes... I kept that pic! I'm a failure at this topic. My first sentence is a lie:) :)

Hahaha that's cute mita :) Don't worry, you're allowed to love them all.

I have a miniature and toy poodles but wouldn't have a standard. I find the temperament of the standards more akin to a large gun dog (surprise surprise) and prefer the smaller poodles.

I have Whippets but wouldn't have a Greyhound. Nothing wrong with Greys, they are just a bit big for me.

Hahaha that's cute mita :) Don't worry, you're allowed to love them all.

SG, I just think I'm a doggie pushover. :)